• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sherlock Holmes?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to get the reactions of any of you who go and see the new Sherlock Holmes movie coming out on Xmas Day.

I had been eager to see it. However, after seeing some stills showing Robert Downey, Jr., as Holmes sporting designer stubble, I am strongly disinclined to go see it. I grew up as a boy regarding the impeccably groomed Basil Rathbone as the quintessential Holmes. Later I discovered the original illustrations of Sidney Padget. I also enjoyed Jeremy Brett's portrayals of Holmes. After all that, I am very disinclined to go see a movie with a designer-stubbled Holmes.

A friend of mine remarked that they seem to have re-made Holmes as an action hero in the mould of Spider Man. He is a professor at decent private college. Recently he made an allusion to Sherlock Holmes in one of his classes. It was evident that several of his [American] students had no idea who Holmes was.

Similarly, I made an allusion to The Hound of the Baskervilles to a woman the other day. She had never heard of it! An interesting commentary on the decline of general cultural literacy.

I have heard it said that Sherlock Holmes, Dracula and Tarzan are the three most familiar figures from literature worldwide. Interesting that they were all nearly contemporaneous.

r...

Reaction score
He was a functioning addict. I mean, Sherlock was, and Robert too. So maybe this is what Robert brings to the character; enough genuineness to know that functioning addicts prolly dont shave that often.

At least Watson doesnt have designer-neckbeard.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"The Seven Per-Cent Solution" from 1976 was the first SH movie I remember that broke from the old Basil Rathbone depiction of a buttoned up Sherlock Holmes that I grew up with. I suppose it was an attempt to get closer to the literary Holmes, but it was still a bit different from what we'd become accustomed to in the movies.

I don't think I'll mind the new version, liberties and all. I plan to see it and if its anything like any of RD, Jr's recent work I expect I'll enjoy it.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like utter garbage to me. I'll pass.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cleav
Worth going to see for Watson's (played by Jude Law) attire.

Looks like (in the trailer) a great Harris Tweed suit, not unlike one being finished for me tomorrow.

Always about you. Always gotta turn the conversation into something about you...

Dentata

Reaction score
I plan on seeing this just because I love Holmes and Downey, but I don't have much hope. I think Downey could be an excellent Holmes, but from what I've heard and read from people who have seen it it has been dumbed down to the point that Holmes is a relatively generic, not especially brilliant action hero.
Originally Posted by r...
He was a functioning addict. I mean, Sherlock was...
Not in this movie. Wouldn't want America's children (of any age) to think that drug use takes your brain anywhere but the frying pan.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
Always about you. Always gotta turn the conversation into something about you...

crackup[1].gif

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dentata
Not in this movie. Wouldn't want America's children (of any age) to think that drug use takes your brain anywhere but the frying pan.

You're probably right, but he should be portrayed as such. I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes now, and he alludes to injecting cocaine! ******* mainlines that ****. Now that would make for a good action/mystery movie.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
It looks like utter garbage to me. I'll pass.

No ****, Sherlock.

Dentata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
You're probably right, but he should be portrayed as such. I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes now, and he alludes to injecting cocaine! ******* mainlines that ****. Now that would make for a good action/mystery movie.

Erm...I was being sarcastic. I don't think Holmes is Holmes without cocaine. And of all people it's Guy Ritchie that decides to remove the drug use.
facepalm.gif

sjd

Reaction score
I think it will be enjoyable. Now that Guy Ritchie is rid of Madonna (or vice versa) he can get back to making good films again. I love Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

dpw

Reaction score
Jeremy Brett did a wonderful job of teasing out my ideal Holmes

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks awful. JLib, I am really surprised by your professor friend's comment. I seem to remember a lot of my classmates in elementary and middle school being fond of Holmes. But maybe that's just me wishing that was the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads