• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black suit, brown shirt?

nevermind

Reaction score
I have black pants, a black jacket, and a brown shirt. Can I wear them together? The brown is pretty dark.

Thanks!

cgo

Reaction score
certainly can....I've been looking for a dark choc brown shirt myself so I can wear it with my black suit and tie.

You'll be surprised how elegant it looks despite the common mainstream belief that black doesnt go well with brown

korektphool

Reaction score
That sounds like a ridiculous outfit. Burn both the black pants and black jacket (they're only for waiters). The brown shirt could be used in casual situations, I suppose.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NO, if it is a dark brown like a chocolate or something it will be too dark and not look right. Anything lighter like a dark tan may work but stilll would not look that nice.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eject0.jpg

Siggy

Reaction score
It never fails that these types of questions come from someone with a below 10 post count.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cgo
certainly can....I've been looking for a dark choc brown shirt myself so I can wear it with my black suit and tie.

You'll be surprised how elegant it looks despite the common mainstream belief that black doesnt go well with brown

+100,000,000

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A variation on the brown shirt / black pants / black jacket look was popular in Germany just before the mid-20th century

I'd forget the hat and the armband these days though . . . .

brown_shirt1238720273.jpg

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cgo

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Originally Posted by korektphool
That sounds like a ridiculous outfit. Burn both the black pants and black jacket (they're only for waiters). The brown shirt could be used in casual situations, I suppose.

Yes.

Originally Posted by JohnGalt
+100,000,000

You, sir, are evil.
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by Big A
A variation on the brown shirt / black pants / black jacket look was popular in Germany just before the mid-20th century

I'd forget the hat and the armband these days though . . . .

brown_shirt1238720273.jpg

Don't wear a dark brown shirt, for the love of god. Especially with a black suit.\\

In fact, don't own a dark brown shirt, unless your career is along the lines of Big A's post or a UPS driver.

White or light blue with that black suit. No black tie with it, either, unless you're an undertaker or in the Mod Squad, or a Beatle.

In fact, I would just get another suit that wasn't black.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you be delivering any packages? You may want to wear a yellow tie.

jmoody15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
White or light blue with that black suit. No black tie with it, either, unless you're an undertaker or in the Mod Squad, or a Beatle.

In fact, I would just try and get a suit that wasn't black.

If you read that first post again, it looks like we're not even talking about a black suit. I'm thinking black pants and black blazer/sportcoat.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nevermind
I have black pants, a black jacket, and a brown shirt. Can I wear them together? The brown is pretty dark.

Thanks!

If the blacks are not of the same lot of fabric, they will be different colors. This will look silly.

And while you can wear anthing with anything, I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Bottom line: No.

Glados1984

Reaction score
far out you guys get trolled hard

post count 1? this is just the guy that got banned in that other thread

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nevermind

Thanks!

i dont know, i would wear the reverse, dark brown suit, with black shirt, but the other way i cant picture it being pleasant looking.

i have no qualms against wearing a black suit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics