• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mountain or Road Bike??

gilwood

Reaction score
I can't decide whether I should buy a mountain or road bike. The last few times I used my bike were on the road. I prefer to only own one bike. I did go mountain biking once like 5 years ago.

What do you own?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own a mountain bike and wish I had bought a road bike.

jkw

Reaction score
Unless you actually mountain bike you'll be happier with a roadie. It just depends whether you plan to ride for fitness on the road or on trails for fun. Look into cyclocross bikes for a happy compromise.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I own road and mtn but haven't ridden my mtn bike in years since I got a cyclocross bike too.

A cyclocross is a good candidate for the one bike.
You can put fattish knobby tires and ride in dirt should you desire.
Or put skinny road tires on it for road riding.
They also have enough clearance that you can fit fenders on them for winter road riding.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I own road and mtn but haven't ridden my mtn bike in years since I got a cyclocross bike too. A cyclocross is a good candidate for the one bike. You can put fattish knobby tires and ride in dirt should you desire. Or put skinny road tires on it for road riding. They also have enough clearance that you can fit fenders on them for winter road riding.
+1. If you ride long distances out in the open, then a road bike. If you like to bike in the woods, then a mountain bike. But a cyclocross is good all around bike. It's almost as fast as a pure road bike, and almost as versatile as a mountain bike. If you're an urban rider (especially in NYC), it gives you the best of both worlds. I think my next urban all-around bike will be a cross singlespeed.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ended up with this after contemplating the same question...

tk_2009_allant.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I think my next urban all-around bike will be a cross singlespeed.

I got a Bianchi San Jose single speed a few years ago. It's great.
It's become my winter bike. I run 25mm gatorskins with full fenders.
The gearing somewhat limits my routes since it's kind of hilly in Seattle but not having to mess with maintenance of the gears is a big plus. In the summer I put cyclocross tires back on it and use it to ride the unpaved rail trails around here. That's the closest I do to mtn bike riding.

It's kind of heavy but it was relatively cheap.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I got a Bianchi San Jose single speed a few years ago. It's great.
It's become my winter bike. I run 25mm gatorskins with full fenders.
The gearing somewhat limits my routes since it's kind of hilly in Seattle but not having to mess with maintenance of the gears is a big plus. In the summer I put cyclocross tires back on it and use it to ride the unpaved rail trails around here. That's the closest I do to mtn bike riding.

It's kind of heavy but it was relatively cheap.

I'm a fan of Bianchi. Mine is heavy also, but I wouldn't get rid of it for anything else.

jakejake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
I ended up with this after contemplating the same question...

tk_2009_allant.jpg

What is it called and where can I get it in the US?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakejake
What is it called and where can I get it in the US?

Trek Allant and I found it at a local bike shop.

ksteryous

Reaction score
I've got both because I do both kinds of riding. It's really simple. If you're always going to be on smooth pavement, and your goal is fitness and speed, then nothing but a road bike will do. But if there's even a remote chance that you will go off road, then a mountain bike or possibly a cyclocross bike is a better choice. Simply put, you can make do with a mountain bike on the road, but a road bike on the mountain (or even loose gravel for that matter) would not be a pleasant experience.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ksteryous
I've got both because I do both kinds of riding.
It's good to see I'm not the only one. There are times when I find road cycling slightly unexciting, and instead would prefer to be at one with nature, and in those cases, my moutain bike suits me better. There are other moments in time when I look forward to riding with the club, hoping to travel at a good steady pace, and do my best to not get dropped, for those moments I ride road.

I'm not sure I could only commit to one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads