• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Filson Thread - Clothing/Bags Etc

arced

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Their warranty is pretty much unconditional. If you wear it out they fix or replace it.

Is this also true for the Apolis bag?

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
Here's the Shelter Cloth All season Rain Coat. Nice and simple coat.

Hey, thanks for the review. I've been wondering about this one...

So, it does have hand-warmer pockets?

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
Hey, thanks for the review. I've been wondering about this one...

So, it does have hand-warmer pockets?

yes it has the side entry hand warmer pockets under the big pocket in the front. They are unlined. Thats a difference from the foul weather coat which has larger moleskine lined pockets under double storage pockets.

4176948493_97ccdc5d7e.jpg

The lined pockets due make a huge difference if you don't wear gloves. I had the foul weather jacket and the pockets were very comfortable and warm. the foul weather coat is a bit longer (about 1-2in) and has no hood (that you can buy separately).

Thats why I decided on the all season rain coat because I like the convenience of having a hood and in this particular model is made of the thicker shelter cloth and blue.

here's a pic of the lined pockets of the foul weather coat:

3950471873_9021c7f869.jpg
3950468703_af199084d2.jpg
3950473697_4dacf75dda.jpg

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RKD

I have one of those in Otter. I don't remember when I got but my guess is 10 years or so ago. I beat mine to no end. It's been in mud, rain, snow, slop, in closed cars in the Summer, blah blah blah.

It's a bit faded but other than that it just keeps right on going. It literally is my daily use bag and my cameras have resided in it from time to time. Keep it waxed and treat the leather every once in a while and it'll outlast you.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you fit an SLR camera in that bag?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Can you fit an SLR camera in that bag?

Yep. Along with a flash, another lens, some filters, ram cards and batteries.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be buying one soon....

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize that small field bag was padded inside. I had almost convinced myself I didn't need one (already have 2 camera bags). Hmm.

Is the padding adjustable/removable?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RKD added a camera insert to the bag. It doesn't come with one. I have cases for accessories and I wrap my DSLR in a towel and go. The bag is nearly indestructible and water resistant. Great for outdoors stuff. I use it when I chase storms or might get caught in the rain.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RKD added a camera insert to the bag. It doesn't come with one. I have cases for accessories and I wrap my DSLR in a towel and go. The bag is nearly indestructible and water resistant. Great for outdoors stuff. I use it when I chase storms or might get caught in the rain.

Thank you for the info.

Fiddy

Reaction score
Keep it waxed and treat the leather every once in a while and it'll outlast you.

What do you recommend treating the leather with? I called Filson and the only thing they would tell me is to clean the straps and handles with saddle soap...

Thanks!

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fiddy
What do you recommend treating the leather with? I called Filson and the only thing they would tell me is to clean the straps and handles with saddle soap...

Thanks!

lexol cleaner and filson boot oil

Dad Shoes

Reaction score
Just an FYI out there:
Ordered the 258 from eBags via the Bing deal. All told (price-matching, tax, free shipping via a publicly accessible internet coupon, Bing cashback), it totaled $186. Beautiful deal for a $300 bag. It shipped directly from Filson in Seattle, however I found a couple of little things that bugged me. Two of the four zippers had a little extra friction which I haven't encountered from previous Filson product, and the leather on one of the handles was distinctly thinner than the other. That handle just felt cheap. I read somewhere that there has been some variation in the leather quality on Filson bags. This was definitely the case here.

I called Filson and the nice customer service rep. told me to send it back so that I did. He said to expect it to take about a week or two to get the new one out to me, given that it's the Christmas season. Hoping the new one is grade A.

By the way, had a great experience with eBags and they're constantly running some sort of discount, and while Filson stuff doesn't get discounted, there is always a free shipping coupon to be had. Great price-matching policy as well.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patagoniacommunity
Just an FYI out there:
Ordered the 258 from eBags via the Bing deal. All told (price-matching, tax, free shipping via a publicly accessible internet coupon, Bing cashback), it totaled $186. Beautiful deal for a $300 bag. It shipped directly from Filson in Seattle, however I found a couple of little things that bugged me. Two of the four zippers had a little extra friction which I haven't encountered from previous Filson product, and the leather on one of the handles was distinctly thinner than the other. That handle just felt cheap. I read somewhere that there has been some variation in the leather quality on Filson bags. This was definitely the case here.

I called Filson and the nice customer service rep. told me to send it back so that I did. He said to expect it to take about a week or two to get the new one out to me, given that it's the Christmas season. Hoping the new one is grade A.

By the way, had a great experience with eBags and they're constantly running some sort of discount, and while Filson stuff doesn't get discounted, there is always a free shipping coupon to be had. Great price-matching policy as well.

Oh really? Direct from Filson at nearly 35 percent off? Tsk tsk tsk, I didn't know they drop shipped to customers. You learn something new everyday.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads