• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddleback Leather Bags

ridders

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm rev'ing up for the big purchase (med briefcase, dark coffee brown...I think)- just a couple questions: Can anyone comment on the 9 inch depth, i'm a bit concerned that's too deep for everyday commuting, Also, what's this traveler's cut I have seen mentioned...

Finally, are the products in the ebay store "first's"?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ridders
Hi all,

I'm rev'ing up for the big purchase (med briefcase, dark coffee brown...I think)- just a couple questions: Can anyone comment on the 9 inch depth, i'm a bit concerned that's too deep for everyday commuting, Also, what's this traveler's cut I have seen mentioned...

Finally, are the products in the ebay store "first's"?

A 9 inch depth is good for papers and the like. It's definitely not too deep for daily commutes. The traveler's cut means the flap is a bit longer than normal. It's for people like me who over stuff everything. Finally everything is first run unless it specifically states otherwise.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've seen these bags talked about here or there and most people who have held them seem to complain that they are a little too heavy for their own good. Thick leather has a price, you know?

Bags like this are meant to be carried around all day, possible filled with items like your laptop. Every pound of weight savings helps. I'd be much more inclined to buy one if they offered a range of lighter bags made out of slightly thinner leather.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I've seen these bags talked about here or there and most people who have held them seem to complain that they are a little too heavy for their own good. Thick leather has a price, you know?

Well I'm not one of those people. All that thick top grain boot leather means it's going to take some serious abuse and it'll last more than a week or two.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
Well I'm not one of those people. All that thick top grain boot leather means it's going to take some serious abuse and it'll last more than a week or two.

Ok first of all you can find quality leather bags that will last forever and are not made out of heavy thick "boot leather."

2nd of all, weight is an issue. Why do you think people pay a premium for thin and light laptops? They don't want to break their backs carrying heavy things around all day.

These bars look interesting, but again I would rather see the company expand into a 2nd line of bags designed with some weight saving in mind.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok first of all you can find quality leather bags that will last forever and are not made out of heavy thick "boot leather."

2nd of all, weight is an issue. Why do you think people pay a premium for thin and light laptops? They don't want to break their backs carrying heavy things around all day.

These bars look interesting, but again I would rather see the company expand into a 2nd line of bags designed with some weight saving in mind.

These aren't laptops so the comparison really can't be made. What they are though is something you can put your laptop in and not worry about it wherever you end up. The whole story about these bags and why they are built like a tank can be found on Saddleback's website.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/33-quality

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/new...ers-to-leather

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These aren't laptops so the comparison really can't be made. What they are though is something you can put your laptop in and not worry about it wherever you end up. The whole story about these bags and why they are built like a tank can be found on Saddleback's website. http://www.saddlebackleather.com/33-quality http://www.saddlebackleather.com/new...ers-to-leather
I'm not going to go in circles on this with you. I am sure there are some people who don't mind having to carry around any amount of extra weight, but I am of the opinion that weight saving or lack of it is an issue with a bag meant to be used daily. While I don't have first hand experience holding one of these bags, I have seen more then a few complaints about how heavy they are online from people who have. So built like a tank or not, I would pass and look for something lighter and more practical for daily use. Peace.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bags like this are meant to be carried around all day, possible filled with items like your laptop. Every pound of weight savings helps. I'd be much more inclined to buy one if they offered a range of lighter bags made out of slightly thinner leather.

I think that you guys are talking at cross purposes. The Saddleback leather bags *are* heavy-duty. Very heavy-duty. I like them because of that. I also carry around 25 lbs+ on a regular basis, and "lightweight" is not really a considerably for me. However, if it is, there are better choices. For me, I like Krane bags - which use waxed cotton lined in suede. Tough - not as tough as Saddleback by a large degree - but also quite lightweight. There are tradeoffs. Just the way it is.

Cheers,

Fok.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that you guys are talking at cross purposes. The Saddleback leather bags *are* heavy-duty. Very heavy-duty. I like them because of that. I also carry around 25 lbs+ on a regular basis, and "lightweight" is not really a considerably for me. However, if it is, there are better choices. For me, I like Krane bags - which use waxed cotton lined in suede. Tough - not as tough as Saddleback by a large degree - but also quite lightweight. There are tradeoffs. Just the way it is.

Cheers,

Fok.

Yeah, everyone has their own taste and needs.

I'm a huge fan of the line of Krane bags I have seen. I'm waiting on them to come out with another messenger style bag large enough to hold a laptop and also have a handle on top. The current line is lacking the handle and it's something I need for daily use.

monarch0300

Reaction score
Guys I have a pretty urgent question, I got one of the 14" bags for Christmas. Unfortunately, when the bag was purchased the person on the phone talked the wife into the 14" stating that the most returned product they sell is the 16" briefcase because everyone wants the 14". I am just about to buy a 17" laptop which is a reallllllly tight fit in the smaller one.

I'm in Canada and it will be a good $100 to ship this one back and get them to ship another. I'm 5'10 170lbs, 31 waist 40R sport coat (definitely a slim fit). Will the large bag be too big? Pls all input will be helpful.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by monarch0300
Guys I have a pretty urgent question, I got one of the 14" bags for Christmas. Unfortunately, when the bag was purchased the person on the phone talked the wife into the 14" stating that the most returned product they sell is the 16" briefcase because everyone wants the 14". I am just about to buy a 17" laptop which is a reallllllly tight fit in the smaller one. I'm in Canada and it will be a good $100 to ship this one back and get them to ship another. I'm 5'10 170lbs, 31 waist 40R sport coat (definitely a slim fit). Will the large bag be too big? Pls all input will be helpful.
Bags aren't suits. They aren't too small or too big, within reason. Personally, I think that a 17" laptop is overkill.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
who buys a 17 in lap top.... you don't get better screen resolution and all you get is poor battery life...

thats your main problem.

also people use laptops for the wrong reasons these days. Laptops were always and always will be netbooks and should never be used for any other reason. Ask anyone that actually knows about computers. If he says otherwise he doesn't know about computers.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have had your bags for greater than 1 year, how are they holding up? Any evolution pics?

I've been seriously considering one of these bags. First bag I've seriously considered that wasn't specifically designed for a woman.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads