• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I do...occasionally. IMO, it's too easy to slip into being pretentious, plus it tempts people to start spitting out numbers that really mean pretty much nothing (and they have no idea what metrics are usually used), so I really try and resist the urge. I think I did one for the icewine I'm bringing Kyle next week.
this is fair, I've just always been interested in what people think about a wine and more importantly why (hence why I asked you why pinot noir way at the start of this thread). You've always extolled the ME SB, but I couldn't say if it was because of the acidity, the balance, the dense but elegant fruit, the touch of oak, etc. It's the why that I like. I think the only problems arise when nobody else tries a wine because one person doesn't like it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Icewine! I can't wait to try that wine dude. That's always my facking problem. I never have more than 5 bottles at a time, so I can't decide to let any sit. Part of me always says "hey, good wine is an occasion in and of itself" and part of me always says "no dipshit save that for a special occasion."

I saw a book on icewine in the local bookstore the other day. Read through a few pages. Very interesting topic.

Not wine-related, but I also picked up the seasonal drinks from the cyrus bar book and was leafing through it. All of a sudden, the old bartender, the guy who wrote the book (!) walked in and said hey to me. I'd met him b/c he's roommates with one of the pastry girls. Anyway, it was kind of weird to be reading a book and have the author walk in.

**** i am kinda buzzed if you can't tell from my tambling.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
this is fair, I've just always been interested in what people think about a wine and more importantly why (hence why I asked you why pinot noir way at the start of this thread). You've always extolled the ME SB, but I couldn't say if it was because of the acidity, the balance, the dense but elegant fruit, the touch of oak, etc. It's the why that I like. I think the only problems arise when nobody else tries a wine because one person doesn't like it.
Well, if a few notes about the ME SB will help spread the gospel, how can I refuse?
laugh.gif
Unlike many SBs, there is a nice dose of oak. It goes very well with the grapefruit/citrus and lively acid. It's not a light, almost clear SB, it's an SB that makes you sit up and notice it. Some clear minerality causes this IMO. It's like, if you took any one component away, the others would be overblown, but they all add up together to a very robust but balanced wine. Dense and elegantly orchestrated.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Well, if a few notes about the ME SB will help spread the gospel, how can I refuse?
laugh.gif

Unlike many SBs, there is a nice dose of oak. It goes very well with the grapefruit/citrus and lively acid. It's not a light, almost clear SB, it's an SB that makes you sit up and notice it. Some clear minerality causes this IMO. It's like, if you took any one component away, the others would be overblown, but they all add up together to a very robust but balanced wine. Dense and elegantly orchestrated.

Awesome, this balance is what I look for in exceptional bottles. I REALLY hope to get ahold of one sometime.

I hope you can try a Didier. The 2005 Pur Sang was one of the most astonishing bottles I've ever had, even aged in oak!

(ps, sorry for the excessive posts, I'm still working and these Access queries take forever to complete)

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great value Bordeaux from the Haut-Medoc, SG, I'd be interesting is hearing how they hold up with a little age.

Originally Posted by audiophilia
Happy Birthday. Enjoy. Let us know how you like it.

Enjoyed! I'm not much of a wine critic but this was impressive.

Went well with a rib eye grilled to med. rare. I've been learning soo much on this food and drink forum, its really amazing. I enjoy putting what i learn to the test now and again. Took the rib eye, seasoned it with salt/pepper about 3 hours priors to cooking. Got the grill up to about 450, and about 4min on both sides. Dab of button on it and let it rest for 10min. Wonderful and the Bordeaux along with good company made the night!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
**** i am kinda buzzed if you can't tell from my tambling.

that's the best. I'm nearly done with the Nero, but not as buzzed as I tend to enjoy. I nearly destroyed myself on Cristal last week, thank god for office parties.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

Went well with a rib eye grilled to med. rare. I've been learning soo much on this food and drink forum, its really amazing. I enjoy putting what i learn to the test now and again. Took the rib eye, seasoned it with salt/pepper about 3 hours priors to cooking. Got the grill up to about 450, and about 4min on both sides. Dab of button on it and let it rest for 10min. Wonderful and the Bordeaux along with good company made the night!

Bordeaux + rib eye = amazing. No further explanation needed.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
PM me your address sometime. I plan on being at Merry Edwards the day the new vintage opens for sale. I'll pick you up a bottle of the 09 ME SB (you'll never find an 07 or 08 unless someone gives you one).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
PM me your address sometime. I plan on being at Merry Edwards the day the new vintage opens for sale. I'll pick you up a bottle of the 09 ME SB (you'll never find an 07 or 08 unless someone gives you one).

08s are still around the Total Wine system. Check out their website.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
08s are still around the Total Wine system. Check out their website.

**** I did not know that. I will have to pick a few up. And by that, I mean maybe buy one.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
shipping can be a pain. You're adding $10 to a $30 wine. And then WS is adding another $10. The store next to me had the '08 for $42, then promptly sold out of it.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

Great stuff.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
shipping can be a pain. You're adding $10 to a $30 wine. And then WS is adding another $10. The store next to me had the '08 for $42, then promptly sold out of it.

Really, when straight from ME they cost $30, $42 isn't bad. At a restaurant you'd be paying 75-120.

Final thoughts on my Barossa Valley wine. The more tipsy I get, the more I enjoy this wine. Strange how that seems to happen every time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Really, when straight from ME they cost $30, $42 isn't bad. At a restaurant you'd be paying 75-120.

it's only $100 at Daniel!

I would have gladly paid $42 ... but I work god damn 15-17 hours a day, can't get out before they close!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads