• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Of course I did! Did you read Galloni's?

"The 2005 Barolo Mariondino-Bussia -Le Coste-Mosconi 35 Vendemmia is an elegant, harmonious offering. Made in a weightless, ethereal style, the wine reveals layers of plums, figs, new leather, menthol, spices and herbs. This medium-bodied Barolo offers outstanding length and a refined, finessed finish that makes it fairly accessible even at this young age. The wine doesn't appear to have the stuffing to be a long-term ager, but it should offer highly pleasurable drinking to age 15 or so. In 2005 Parusso waited to harvest all of his fruit until after the October rains had passed. According to Parusso, the tannins were actually riper in 2005 than 2004. This 2005 Barolo is somewhat of a departure for Parusso, as he blended the juice from all of his single-vineyards into one wine prior to bottling, a decision he says was made in order to deliver a high-quality wine to the consumer at a fair price in light of today’s economic climate. Anticipated maturity: 2011-2020." -92 points Wine Advocate

I plan on cellaring all but one which I will drink after a big decant. I'm really interested in taking notes and then re-trying in several years, and then again. It's all about the evolution over time. And my lack of cellar space.

(ps - I'm eating at Babbo just after new years)

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Thanks for reminding me I need to order more...How is the '08 drinking?

it's nice. Really nice nose of cherry, rasberry, red fruits, and a touch of floral notes. I'm cautious about the noticeably higher alcohol feel on the palate, but it's calmed down after an hour and this is an obviously young wine. Still, solid acidity and worth the $12 I paid.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
My thoughts on the 2007 Barossa Valley Juveniles Cuvee Torbreck I bought today:

Very fragrant. Bold. Unoaked-- aged completely in stainless steel. Really intense blackberry flavor, and very earthy. Mouthfeel is great. Really coats the mouth leaving you pleasantly surprised with the texture. Pleasant tannins. Taste some raspberry and cranberry. Finish is quite long. Still, it just feels a little bit tight (this after sitting for 90 minutes open).
All the drinking recommendations I read said it'd be good now until 2011. Meant to be enjoyed young. Personally, if I were to get another bottle, I'd wait a little longer. Just a little rough around the edges, but definitely had the potential to be very good. For only $20, I'd recommend buying it and sitting on it for a year.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Of course I did! Did you read Galloni's?

I plan on cellaring all but one which I will drink after a big decant. I'm really interested in taking notes and then re-trying in several years, and then again. It's all about the evolution over time. And my lack of cellar space.

(ps - I'm eating at Babbo just after new years)

As you know, one of my favorite things with wine, is to buy multiples and taste them over time. You should get an offsite storage. I think, for you at this point in your life, it might be worthwhile.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
As you know, one of my favorite things with wine, is to buy multiples and taste them over time. You should get an offsite storage. I think, for you at this point in your life, it might be worthwhile.

I absolutely agree, and I've looked at some options but here in NYC it's expensive. Really expensive. And the place that everybody goes to (Chelsea something) is so popular that it's completely full and not taking any new customers. NJ is one of the only options I have. What I've done is move any nice bottles to my parents' place upstate, they have a natural cellar and a nice collection to themselves. It's just a pain, not much access and a pain to transport back. But in the end, I have 8-10 bottles I keep with the intention of storing for a while, and another few spaces to get bottles to cellar temperature before consumption.

I'm thinking about upgrading the cooler too, maybe triple the size. I do have the room for it (I am actually extremely lucky to have the apartment size that I do at my age in this city). This, ultimately, is the price I pay for living in NYC. I have access to anything I could ever want, but just lack the vast storage space.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Very fragrant. Bold. Unoaked-- aged completely in stainless steel. Really intense blackberry flavor, and very earthy.

I've started to steer away from the Aussie wines due to a lack of the earthiness ... but this makes me feel confident. Will have to try some examples again.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
LOL, watched Sideways last night, watching Uncorked with Ted Allen right now. God...can't wait to get to tasting around Healdsburg.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I've started to steer away from the Aussie wines due to a lack of the earthiness ... but this makes me feel confident. Will have to try some examples again.

Well remember, it's all relative, and I'm comparing it to mostly sonoma pinots. If you're drinking more French and Italian, then it might not be "very earthy" to you. I wouldn't want you to try it and then come back here and tell everyone my tasting notes are ******.
cold[1].gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Well remember, it's all relative, and I'm comparing it to mostly sonoma pinots. If you're drinking more French and Italian, then it might not be "very earthy" to you. I wouldn't want you to try it and then come back here and tell everyone my tasting notes are ******.
cold[1].gif

for the record, nobody's tasting notes are ever ******. Ever. That is, unless they're written with poor grammar. As you said, it is indeed all relative. The last few Aussie wines I've had (including one 2 weeks ago) have all been very artificial to me, almost candy like fruitness. I tend to not like this. But if even compared to California wines, which I find less fruit bomby then some Australian wines (dork content: likely due to climactic factors and weather affecting ripening patterns of the grapes in some wines), even a hint is earthiness is nice IMO. I'd fully expect most Aussies or NZ or Calis to be less earthier than the average French or Italian, but I don't mean this as a bad thing.

Bottom line is, if you said "fruit bomb", I probably would not think to seek out knowing what you have consumed and tasted in the past. But, I would seek out now. I'd certainly trust your Cali palate more than my own.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
And this is in response to Audio's post. Location: my kitchen
plain.gif

2574532610043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
for the record, nobody's tasting notes are ever ******. Ever. That is, unless they're written with poor grammar. As you said, it is indeed all relative. The last few Aussie wines I've had (including one 2 weeks ago) have all been very artificial to me, almost candy like fruitness. I tend to not like this. But if even compared to California wines, which I find less fruit bomby then some Australian wines (dork content: likely due to climactic factors and weather affecting ripening patterns of the grapes in some wines), even a hint is earthiness is nice IMO. I'd fully expect most Aussies or NZ or Calis to be less earthier than the average French or Italian, but I don't mean this as a bad thing.

Bottom line is, if you said "fruit bomb", I probably would not think to seek out knowing what you have consumed and tasted in the past. But, I would seek out now. I'd certainly trust your Cali palate more than my own.

This post is particularly appreciated and at the same time, so very wrong. Looks like the old adage "fake it til you make it" rings true indeed.
lol8[1].gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
But I would, really. It's not necessarily about the sheer number of wines tasted, but rather understanding the area, the region, the climate, the people, the growers, the makers, etc. You know this more than I about Sonoma and Cali. And to be honest, I didn't really get this about Italian wines until I went there and talked to the wine makers, the sommeliers, the people, and so forth. It was after that that I sought out a deeper understanding about the DOCG's, the varietals, each individual region. I am a firm believer in everybody has their own palate. If only Pio posted tasting notes very now and then...

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Whatever your opinion is about a wine, it's correct."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If only Pio posted tasting notes very now and then...
I do...occasionally. IMO, it's too easy to slip into being pretentious, plus it tempts people to start spitting out numbers that really mean pretty much nothing (and they have no idea what metrics are usually used), so I really try and resist the urge. I think I did one for the icewine I'm bringing Kyle next week. Sorry, not what I'm bringing Kyle, but an icewine. Here's a note from me: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=3418

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Very fragrant. Bold. Unoaked-- aged completely in stainless steel. Really intense blackberry flavor, and very earthy. Mouthfeel is great. Really coats the mouth leaving you pleasantly surprised with the texture. Pleasant tannins. Taste some raspberry and cranberry. Finish is quite long. Still, it just feels a little bit tight (this after sitting for 90 minutes open).
All the drinking recommendations I read said it'd be good now until 2011. Meant to be enjoyed young. Personally, if I were to get another bottle, I'd wait a little longer. Just a little rough around the edges, but definitely had the potential to be very good. For only $20, I'd recommend buying it and sitting on it for a year.

One more thought on this wine: make sure you have a friend there to help you drink it. At 15% alcohol, I'm feeling pretty tipsy 2 1/2 glasses in.

*See Pio, I told you I'd be passed out drunk before you were even buzzed. Luckily I only live 3 blocks from the city square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads