• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Where would Yves Saint Laurent rank?

Anywhere between 17th & 20th place overall, it's been mentioned in the thread several times.

Glad to see you're following along.

revamp

Reaction score
I saw someone requested a rating for J. Crew's suits but no one has been able to weigh in on them yet.

A Loro Piana wool suit with a decently slim cut for about $350 (assuming a 30% discount). I'm not an expert, but I think this would qualify for the "Satisfactory" rating.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Boss Selection?

The website claims they are fully canvassed, but when I examined a couple in the store, I swear it felt like half canvassing. Very similar to the BB half canvassed line. Of course, the sales associate said it was fully canvassed, but so does the Boss website.

Didn't have any scissors on me otherwise.... JK.

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
What about Boss Selection? The website claims they are fully canvassed, but when I examined a couple in the store, I swear it felt like half canvassing. Very similar to the BB half canvassed line. Of course, the sales associate said it was fully canvassed, but so does the Boss website. Didn't have any scissors on me otherwise.... JK.
On impulse, I bought a black Boss Selection to wear for NYE a couple of years ago. I was stupid enough to pay full price and regret it more than any other suit I own. It is without a doubt half canvassed. Considering their price, I would put them near the bottom of the list. The quality is lower than a $600 BB fitzgerald. (Edit- not saying the fitz is poor quality, just that at twice the price, I would expect the Boss to be much better than the fitz. Not so.)

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
On impulse, I bought a black Boss Selection to wear for NYE a couple of years ago. I was stupid enough to pay full price and regret it more than any other suit I own. It is without a doubt half canvassed. Considering their price, I would put them near the bottom of the list. The quality is lower than a $600 BB fitzgerald. (Edit- not saying the fitz is poor quality, just that at twice the price, I would expect the Boss to be much better than the fitz. Not so.)

Sorry to hear that. I was at the store, and they were on sale for $800. I was definitely tempted by the slim cut and near perfect OTR fit. Then I felt what I believed to be fusing at the bottom.

Went back with my brother because he wanted to check out the Boss store. Checked again for fusing at the bottom, was pretty sure about it, but the store associate and my brother were vehement.

Thanks for clearing that up, and sorry to hear about the impulse buy going badly. At least its still a nicely cut suit.

brittain

Reaction score
Im probably exagerating how bad it is, I just hate wearing it because it reminds me I paid $1400 for a fused suit.

Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Sorry to hear that. I was at the store, and they were on sale for $800. I was definitely tempted by the slim cut and near perfect OTR fit. Then I felt what I believed to be fusing at the bottom.

Went back with my brother because he wanted to check out the Boss store. Checked again for fusing at the bottom, was pretty sure about it, but the store associate and my brother were vehement.

Thanks for clearing that up, and sorry to hear about the impulse buy going badly. At least its still a nicely cut suit.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was thinking, where would RTW Huntsman go?

Made in California

Reaction score
Where would FerrÃ
00a9.png
go on this list?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
Where would FerrÃ
00a9.png
go on this list?

If you mean the diffusion line thats piled up in mountains at discount stores, probs near the buttom

bbhewee

Reaction score
I see people on here mentioning Armani Classico and Armani Black Label, but no one has mentioned the Armani black label Fatto a Mano suits...
I'm lucky enough to own one (bought from an outlet) and even my old tailor in Paris (who did commissioned work for some of the better brands on rue St Honore) was more than impressed by the craftsmanship on it. My brother has a few Armani Classico suits, and they just aren't a patch on mine... Which makes brotherly competition all the more enjoyable...
lol8[1].gif

vincerich

Reaction score
How do you factor in suits that have retail prices that aren't justified by the quality but are ALWAYS on sale for 50% off or more?

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Anywhere between 17th & 20th place overall, it's been mentioned in the thread several times.

Glad to see you're following along.

How dare he not read through the previous 300 posts to find the answer. The point of this is to make a list so people don't have to dig through pages of posts to find out the quality of each suit manufacturer... Why didn't someone add it?

Originally Posted by PaoloM
If you mean the diffusion line thats piled up in mountains at discount stores, probs near the buttom

Yeah, that one. The diffusion line. I feel like this list is really heavy on premium brands, and doesn't help me know which brands aren't quality, but are extremely prevalent. I was really hoping to see all the diffusion lines and how they stacked up against each other. I'd like to be able to see whether D&G suits end up being higher quality than Emporio Armani, as an example.

daruma

Reaction score
what about vacca? where would it be on the list?

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Excellent [*****] (i.e. Suits made this well are far and few between, if money is no object your closet would be full of these. This category should be kept to only a few items)
- Kiton
- Oxxford
-Thom Browne
- Brioni
- Cesare Attolini Napoli (after seen and tried it for the first time, indeed one of the best)
- Luigi Borrelli
- RLPL (not suit maker, a designer brand)
- Luciano Barbera Collezioni Sartoriale
- St Andrew
- Sartoria Partenopea
- Isaia
- D'Avenza
- Sartoria Castangia

Very Good[****] (i.e. Few suits match the quality of the ones in this category).
- Belvest
--Lanvin
-Jil Sander tailor made
- Corneliani Linea Sartoria
- Sartoria Attolini Napoli
- Canali Milano
- (most of Raffaelle Caruso) eg. Sartoria Parma / RL Black Label / RL Signature
- Pal Zileri Sartoriale (I think there is another line higher than Sartoriale, the custom made one, IIRC "Abito Privato", excellent quality)
- Ravazzolo
- Zegna Couture
- Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
- Borrelli Luxury Vintage

Good[***] (i.e. Quality is superior to most suits).
- Brooks Brothers Black Fleece
- Hickey Freeman Mainline
- Corneliani
- Canali
- K by Canali
- Ermenegildo Zegna
- Samuelsohn
- Paul Smith Mainline (not a suit maker, designer brand - fully canvassed)
- Faconnable Tailleur (also designer brand)
- Cantarelli Tailor
- Etro / Boglioli
- Giorgio Armani (black label)

Satisfactory [**] (i.e. The "Average" Brands. Quality is acceptable).
- Cantarelli
- Brooks Brothers 1818 (half canvassed)
- Paul Smith London (not a suit maker, designer brand - half canvassed)
- H. Freemann
- Benjamin Sartorial
- Hickey Freeman LTD (Half Canvas)
- hickey
- Hackett
- J Crew
- Z-Zegna

Mediocre[*] (Suits that are mediocre)
- Hugo Boss
- Marco Valentino (half canvas) - surprising but I found the VFM is great
- Joseph Abboud
- J. Press
- H&M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads