• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wine for this guy...Exhausted after driving home in that damn blizzard last night and have to study for a final tomorrow. Tomorrow night I will be indulging in a bottle of something (Barossa or McClaren Vale Shiraz?) with some cheese and fresh bread.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Although I'm certainly blessed, living in the center of the American wine industry and having access to all kinds of wonderful wines for lower prices than people across the country (if they could even find them), I find it slightly disappointing that other wines are hard to find here. There are wine shops that sell French, but not many that sell Italian, South American, Australian, or wines from NZ. There are of course places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes that will sell lesser known Italian and South American wines, but for the most part, (and understandably) the entire wine industry out here is geared toward only NorCal wines. I'm afraid I might be beginning to develop cellar palate for Sonoma wines.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Although I'm certainly blessed, living in the center of the American wine industry and having access to all kinds of wonderful wines for lower prices than people across the country (if they could even find them), I find it slightly disappointing that other wines are hard to find here. There are wine shops that sell French, but not many that sell Italian, South American, Australian, or wines from NZ. There are of course places like Whole Foods and Trader Joes that will sell lesser known Italian and South American wines, but for the most part, (and understandably) the entire wine industry out here is geared toward only NorCal wines. I'm afraid I might be beginning to develop cellar palate for Sonoma wines.

Poor lad! What a bad problem to have.

Does this mean I should leave that Pinot I was bringing you at home?
laugh.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Poor lad! What a bad problem to have.

Does this mean I should leave that Pinot I was bringing you at home?
laugh.gif

Now now, there's no need to get drastic.

But by all means, if you want to expand my palate, bring a bottle of d'Yquem.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Now now, there's no need to get drastic.

But by all means, if you want to expand my palate, bring a bottle of d'Yquem.

LOL, yeah right.

Bets on how many cases I bring home with us?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
LOL, yeah right.

Bets on how many cases I bring home with us
?

Jeezus. Given the wineries you're visiting, I'm going to say upwards of 8. Which, in only a few days, is no small task.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Jeezus. Given the wineries you're visiting, I'm going to say upwards of 8. Which, in only a few days, is no small task.

ffffuuuu.gif

I'm not sure I have that much room left in my cellar.
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

frown.gif

Damn damn damn. Might have to buy a few cases and leave them here. I know somewhere that has storage.... But they can't really be trusted to give them back.
laugh.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
At least you can get Cali wines at a discount (or as I like to think, not a rip off). I recall the last Wine Spectator Cali Cab review had a startling statistics: average price of a 90-94 pt rated wine was $120. Surely you can find better New World values in Australia and South America.

End of Cali wines rant.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Damn damn damn. Might have to buy a few cases and leave them here. I know somewhere that has storage.... But they can't really be trusted to give them back.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I'm going to be a cheap date when I get there, given I'll have been almost dry for two weeks.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
At least you can get Cali wines at a discount (or as I like to think, not a rip off). I recall the last Wine Spectator Cali Cab review had a startling statistics: average price of a 90-94 pt rated wine was $120. Surely you can find better New World values in Australia and South America.

End of Cali wines rant.

Yeah, no kidding. I can find prices lower (slightly) on most of those wines, but still way out of my price range.
laugh.gif

I'm going to be a cheap date when I get there, given I'll have been almost dry for two weeks.

I'm always a cheap date, but we'll talk about that later.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

frown.gif

Well the problem is obvious: You're not drinking enough wine. If your liver is complaining and you can't drink any more wine be a man, stop lighting your stogies with c-notes, and put the saved c-notes towards another or bigger cellar.

Anyone want to recommend me a wine to open tomorrow night in celebration of the end of the semester? I'm open to most suggestions <$30...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Anyone want to recommend me a wine to open tomorrow night in celebration of the end of the semester? I'm open to most suggestions <$30...

Crognolo?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Well the problem is obvious: You're not drinking enough wine. If your liver is complaining and you can't drink any more wine be a man, stop lighting your stogies with c-notes, and put the saved c-notes towards another or bigger cellar.

Another cellar is not happening until we finally build the new house. So it's 3-4 years away, but it's already in the plans
smile.gif

I plan to be drinking a bottle of wine a day, for the NY long weekend, out of my cellar. Maybe two
smile.gif
Kyle will no doubt inform on me if we drink too much this Saturday night.
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads