• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you're overweight, why buy nice clothes?

Delimit

Reaction score
Sorry I disagree. HOT guyz MAKE stuff stylish. NOTTIES DONT. It not fair but its life.
Um...no. God, really ******* no, in fact. Style has zero to do with the way your body looks.

There are plenty of hot people on the planet who dress like ass. No one would ever call them stylish. They might want to screw 'em, but they probably don't want to be seen out with 'em after.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
While I'm mostly being a jackass due to boredom, I also faced this dilemma myself and spent a year(!) just focusing on losing weight and getting healthy. Now I can wear whatever I want and it still looks pretty decent. No more massive beergut poking out of my outfits. It's slightly frustrating to see people in a situation like I was previously and doing nothing about it, so it is with great compassion that I say, 'get to the gym you fat ******'.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.) Lose weight.

2.) Maintainence.

3.) Buy clothes.

4.) Smash dudes in your (new) peacoat.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that if you're overweight, you should avoid buying expensive clothes because that would mean that you aren't really planning on changing. I don't find any fault in trying to look decent. Dressing like **** can be bad for your self esteem, and if you're trying to make a positive change in your life, that will be the last thing you need.

I think that unless funds are unlimited, a fat person should try to change themselves first before buying expensive clothes.

nomed

Reaction score
I think we should just enslave the *****'s. It's not like they're real people or anything.

Put those lazy F***ers to work.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the economy the way it is, we should be encouraging the fatties to buy moar clothes now, and then even more when they diet. Or even better, encourage them to both eat more AND get gym memberships. Leveraging the fatties is America's only hope now. (5)

Delimit

Reaction score
I think that if you're overweight, you should avoid buying expensive clothes because that would mean that you aren't really planning on changing.
But if they aren't planning on changing, why shouldn't they buy expensive clothes? They shouldn't buy expensive clothes if they are planning on changing, maybe, but if they're not worried about it, then there's no reason they shouldn't buy whatever they feel like.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Delimit
But if they aren't planning on changing, why shouldn't they buy expensive clothes? They shouldn't buy expensive clothes if they are planning on changing, maybe, but if they're not worried about it, then there's no reason they shouldn't buy whatever they feel like.

From a legal perspective, in America especially, where people's rights are guaranteed under law, you are correct. Morally and rationally it makes no sense whatsoever. There's no reason to be fat.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same goes with being underweight.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto

Underweight never had mold growing in secret places.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto

Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.

Delimit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
From a legal perspective, in America especially, where people's rights are guaranteed under law, you are correct. Morally and rationally it makes no sense whatsoever. There's no reason to be fat.
Morally? Give me a break, please. Honestly, judging other people based on their appearance is far more worse "morally" than someone who enjoys a few extra twinkies now and again.

Not everyone shares your beliefs. If someone is fat and happy, more power to 'em.

Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others.
Being underweight isn't as socially unacceptable in my opinion. Being fat normally implies some measure of laziness and gluttony. Underweight people don't generally inconvenience others like fat people do with their girth. It's largely a victimless crime whereas being fat is ghastly and can affect others negatively. One also sees far less people who are underweight on this continent than those overweight.
You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight.

How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morally? Give me a break, please. Honestly, judging other people based on their appearance is far more worse "morally" than someone who enjoys a few extra twinkies now and again. Not everyone shares your beliefs. If someone is fat and happy, more power to 'em. Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others. You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight. How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?
They take up sidewalks, fill up elevators, and can make riding in coach absolute hell. I don't see how anyone could be happy carrying around far more bulk than they need, though I don't rule out that they're happy with it. But the question was, why would you buy nice clothes if you're fat. Well, I'm of the opinion that a fat person should be actively trying to lose weight and to become healthier. I certainly don't think everyone has to look like a fitness model, but there's the other extreme as well which we now see quite a bit. I mean, it's one thing to have a little bit of a beer belly and the start of some man boobs, but when we're talking about a massive portion of the population being obese, that's a different matter altogether. And I don't think that a fat person is just enjoying a few twinkies now and again. They're either disgustingly lazy, or they're probably gorging themselves. In any case, they are taking in more calories than what they expend. A lot of people are probably 20 even 30 lbs overweight which is not great but it isn't terrible... but when people are like 50lbs+ overweight... that's making a conscious decision to be a glutton. It's an indefensible position barring some injury or medical condition that incapacitates you for a protracted period of time.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being fit is important to you, obviously, and you've acted accordingly. You really shouldn't try and project that on others. You're projecting motivations onto other people. You have no idea why they're overweight.

How are you inconvenienced by fat people? Do they inconvenience people nearly as much as you do with this preachy attitude?

He's not projecting motivations onto fat people. He's saying what being fat implies socially. If anything he's projecting his perceptions of fat people on everyone else. But he's probably right. When's the last time you heard someone say "that guy's so underweight and lazy"?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am underweight, and get teased relentlessly. In public, work and around family. Sure socially fat is least desirable, but being really skinny isn't too cool either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads