• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

10 Ugliest Buildings in the World

AnsonHeitman

Reaction score
I have the unfortunate luck of working in this atrocity. I would apologize for the terrible picture but trust me... a better picture wouldn't help any.
rsz_3picture_3.jpg

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Not so much, but okay.
Ok you ****** I'm sorry if you felt like I was being judgmental. I can disagree with people on the basis of a cogent argument that is counter to my own beliefs, but I think that certain opinions born from a lack of perspective are not worthy of being taken too seriously. I've seen some really puzzling takes on what constitutes ugliness. When matt calls something ugly, you can see a really thoughtful reason behind it, whereas some other people here, whatever isn't some nameless looking glass structure housing some corporate hell or some very obviously over designed futuristic thing gets little respect. And you probably aren't that fat anymore, just lazy looking. Maybe in France they'd think you're fat. I love you.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Ok you ****** I'm sorry if you felt like I was being judgmental. I can disagree with people on the basis of a cogent argument that is counter to my own beliefs, but I think that certain opinions born from a lack of perspective are not worthy of being taken too seriously. I've seen some really puzzling takes on what constitutes ugliness. When matt calls something ugly, you can see a really thoughtful reason behind it, whereas some other people here, whatever isn't some nameless looking glass structure housing some corporate hell or some very obviously over designed futuristic thing gets little respect.

And you probably aren't that fat anymore, just lazy looking. Maybe in France they'd think you're fat.

I love you.

inlove.gif
I overreacted. I forget what this felt like.
Seriously though, I agree that some people like Matt make it easy to respect their differing opinions, given the fact that you can tell his reactions aren't just knee jerk. I just don't think that people who disagree with me have no taste or bad taste. Just different taste. Then again, I don't know **** about architecture, and the one thing I actually do know a little bit about, I throw around the accusation of people having no taste quite loosely. So there's that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
inlove.gif
I overreacted. I forget what this felt like.
Seriously though, I agree that some people like Matt make it easy to respect their differing opinions, given the fact that you can tell his reactions aren't just knee jerk. I just don't think that people who disagree with me have no taste or bad taste. Just different taste. Then again, I don't know **** about architecture, and the one thing I actually do know a little bit about, I throw around the accusation of people having no taste quite loosely. So there's that.

If you're wondering, this was triggered by the Mies van der Rohe buildings. I'm sorry but it's like saying Robuchon is a ****** chef.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Hey, three of my favorite Chicago buildings were by him or heavily influenced by him. That means I have good taste in architecture.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I think you can't throw a rock in Beijing without hitting a building that's uglier than 99% of those in the rest of the world.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, three of my favorite Chicago buildings were by him or heavily influenced by him. That means I have good taste in architecture.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It doesn't mean you have good taste, just that you probably have some sort of an idea of what's good.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnsonHeitman
I have the unfortunate luck of working in this atrocity. I would apologize for the terrible picture but trust me... a better picture wouldn't help any.

rsz_3picture_3.jpg

of all the buildings visible from the 405, I don't think this is that bad. There are some a little farther west and on the other side of the freeway that are worse, I think.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am really puzzled & baffled by some of the choices here as the ugliest buildings. The "Fred and Ginger" building is totally awesome:

dsc0239j.jpg

dsc0245.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like a lot of the buildings posted in this thread. Even an eyesore of a building often has more character than a typical piece of architecture that blends in with everything else. Call me weird, but to me there is value if uniqueness, even if it is not beautiful.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was hard to find a picture that wasn't touched up and I stopped looking as all the photos are from the same angle. They tore down a beautiful 1940's building to make the addition to art center. Surprisingly, no noticeable gallery space was added, but a restaurant and gift shop twice as big as the original gallery.

WalkerWithLowryTunnel_070808.jpg

And to continue the Brutalist bashing, Ralph Rapson's Ceder Square West now home to a large Somali Community:

riversideplaza02eg9.jpg

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think it is beautiful, but that is just me:

kowloon_walled_city_hong_kong.jpg

kowloon.jpg

Kowloon_Walled_City.jpg

Acephale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I think it is beautiful, but that is just me:

The Dark Side.

HK still has it's pockets of beauty though.

And above all energy. And for want of too oft used dichotomy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads