• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Their V neck cashmere from Heather Wallace came out to $260 shipped to the US, not bad at all if this is indeed a legit Scottish made sweater using teh old school knitting and finishing. I think I might get one in 'bordeaux'

I can't speak for the quality, but it's certainly legitimate. The price is the same as what Hawick Cashmere, Johnstons, and Scott & Charters charge, so it shouldn't be a reason to be suspicious.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
34? That sounds tiny. Did you call for the dimensions? There are some in 36 that I could go for.

Foo, which colors did you like? I strongly suggest that you get the McGeorge sweaters soon if you have any plans for them - they won't last forever.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well if you want the Baroque I already decided to order the size 34, sent them a mail, got a reply and will proceed to checkout when they next reply. So I'd pass on that
fight[1].gif

Nice! That color is really cool in person. Post pics when you get 'em. Maybe we should start a shetland threak.

I hope you got the right size.

Originally Posted by furo
Their V neck cashmere from Heather Wallace came out to $260 shipped to the US, not bad at all if this is indeed a legit Scottish made sweater using teh old school knitting and finishing. I think I might get one in 'bordeaux'

Post pix if you get 'em!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andover shop is another source for good (brushed) shetlands at $125:

95_20091113024255000000_lg.jpg

J.Press is having a 25% off sale for their shaggy dog sweaters as well - price is ~$125 after discount. Not bad. However, sizing is S/M/L/XL. Foo, you gotta go see these and give us a report.

I am tempted to buy more shetlands and I don't even need them. Why does this always happen with SF?
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

These look awesome:

PLAINP155.jpg

PLAINM271PER.jpg

PLAINM144GRN.jpg

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Also, you probably already knew this, but cream/off-white pullovers (not cardigans, interestingly) have been out of fashion for quite a while.

I almost purchased a white Shaggy Dog Shetland from Press the other day.

Originally Posted by srivats

PLAINM271PER.jpg

I bought this one and it is quite nice. Actually, all three look great in person; the photographs don't do justice to the depth and richness of the color.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I bought this one and it is quite nice. Actually, all three look great in person; the photographs don't do justice to the depth and richness of the color.

Excellent - that is great to know. Once you see a quality shetland in a nice heathered color, it is hard to go back.

How is the fit? What size did you get, and what do you normally wear in sportscoats? Also, how is the brushed finish? Too shaggy, or does it look just like in the pics above? I went against brushed shetlands because, you know, after a decade of wear, *any* shetland is going to look brushed
smile.gif

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent - that is great to know. Once you see a quality shetland in a nice heathered color, it is hard to go back.

How is the fit? What size did you get, and what do you normally wear in sportscoats?

I'm a 36S, and the size small fits perfectly. Not quite "slim" but not at all baggy or loose.

I already had one in olive green in the same size from last year. Personally, I like the brushed finish. I have an old orange Benneton sweater which has pilled up and gotten "shaggy", but only in spots.

Why does this always happen with SF?
I definitely did not need anymore sweaters, either.
laugh.gif

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I'm a 36S, and the size small fits perfectly. Not quite "slim" but not at all baggy or loose.

I already had one in olive green in the same size from last year.

I guess I'd need a medium on these. I am so tempted to get the green one, but I don't really need one, not in Florida. I hope these are not temporary items from J. Press - I'll hopefully get them next year.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd need a medium on these. I am so tempted to get the green one, but I don't really need one, not in Florida. I hope these are not temporary items from J. Press - I'll hopefully get them next year.

They've been around forever; although the colors change every so often.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I m going to keep an eye on these. I am curious as to how they compare to my McGeorge ones. I think they'd compare favourably.

I'm no sweater expert--most of my others are just lambswool or cotton from Brooks or the like--but to my untrained eye the Shaggy Dogs are top drawer.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this blue colour for sweaters (left: cashmere; right: merino):

carcolimetgroenps.jpg
bluesweater.jpg

(The PS is a PS.)

Moss

Reaction score
You may want to look into a heathered cashmere. This provides nice depth to the colors and works better in my opinion for sport clothing. Otherwise, I would look to Shetland for the same aesthetic reasons.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
For shetlands: Press Shaggy Dogs are really very good, and the fit is superb on a slim person like me (a size medium fits on my 39/40R chest and 32" waist, 34" sleeve body just as I'd like it to). The quality is top, the colors are interesting, and the "fashioning" is also very good (love the must-fold cuffs). I have also owned Andover Shop shetlands and don't like them as much (mainly because the fit is wonky and the cuffs are not must-fold). It is very difficult for me to walk into Press and not want to buy 5 or 6 Shaggies. For cashmere If you're going to go Johnston's, you should definitely check Sierra Trading Post. Just search "Elgin". Lots and lots of Johnston's sweaters. I have 3 from STP from over the years, 2 purchased for $120 and one for $150 (stacking discounts, etc). The quality on these is, I'd say, better than just about anything in the $400-500 price range sold in brick and mortar stores or by well-known brands in the US. The crewnecks have a very nice saddle shoulder. My one qualm is that the necks on my crewnecks aren't as "tight" as I'd like and thus have stretched out a bit. Think of these as a better version of the "Knitted in Scotland" cashmeres BB is now selling (I just learned from Cashmere Truth that "knitted in Scotland" means knitted there but constructed elsewhere..interesting). My Johnstons have not pilled really at all, though they've gotten a bit fuzzier, and I like that. I also have two sweaters from Laing (believe they are old stock) and they are just fantastic. I bought them from a tiny store in Boston, which I believe has now closed, called "Best of Scotland" (no relation to the one in NY) for $280 apiece. I am serious when I say I would pay up to $1K for these if I found more. I don't know where Laing can be found these days but if anyone knows, please tell me. On color for cashmere Nothing beats navy. It is that simple. Goes with everything, doesn't show dirt or pilling, looks good with most complexions. Beyond navy, if you want something that looks good and cashmere-y, go for oatmeal (NOT camel), light light grey (almost like a silver), or a heathered mid-gray color which Johnston's calls "Grebe" I wrote a bit more about this in an old thread. Hope this is helpful: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=36 I am very curious to try Lockie but seems like a few are trying it here. Be my guinea pigs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads