• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
LK, am i correct in my reading? do you record your LP's to Reel to Reel tapes? Where do you find the tapes? I feel like I've read/heard something about them no longer producing reel to reel tape.
I do this for some of my rarer records, and also sometimes to see what kind of sound I can get with the dbx expansion. My tape machine was bias calibrated for Maxell UD-35 180 tape so I buy that from places like ebay since Maxell doesn't produce tape anymore. You can still buy new tape from a Dutch producer, and I think Quantagy.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dbx expander can cause breathing when it mispredicts what the signal's going to do --- you can hear it exaggerate background noise, or clamp down very rapidly on noise. It was an effort to get better dynamic range.

You can still find this concept in modern digital systems, like CD's and DVD-A's preemphasis flag, or HDCD's hidden subcode, which are all more reliable indicators to the expander than something that just tried to look at the signal itself in the analog domain.

--Andre

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DVD-A

Ugh!

I have a reel to reel of Solti/Vienna/Das Rosenkavalier live (given to me by a member of the Vienna Phil).

Still, one of the greatest sounding sources I have, if not the greatest.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The dbx expander can cause breathing when it mispredicts what the signal's going to do --- you can hear it exaggerate background noise, or clamp down very rapidly on noise. It was an effort to get better dynamic range.

You can still find this concept in modern digital systems, like CD's and DVD-A's preemphasis flag, or HDCD's hidden subcode, which are all more reliable indicators to the expander than something that just tried to look at the signal itself in the analog domain.

--Andre

The breathing was more evident if you expanded too much at the highs. This was somewhat lessened with the 3bx model, which required the user to manually adjust low, medium and high bands.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Nice picture of your turntable, AF. Could you describe how the shot was set up?

Sure, I used a halogen light at a 45 degree angle shining through the blue vinyl which illuminated the translucent platter - my listening room at the time had a black felt wall which helped. I then put a Canon A620 on a tripod about 18 inches from the table and framed the shot trying to focus on the cartridge.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What sort of mat do you use on that platter?

No mat at all. The acrylic is designed to couple with vinyl well already. I may add the SuperPlatter in soon to add more mass though.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want one of the high-end Micro-Seiki tables:

microseiki_2.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
^I would buy an Avid Sequel any day over that. Plus you could mount a better SME arm on it.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Loved the Sequel but not a fan of SME arms.

What don't you like about them? A friend has a 4.6 on his Sequel and it sounds heavenly to me.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
^I would buy an Avid Sequel any day over that. Plus you could mount a better SME arm on it.

I had a Linn Sondek turntable with a Naim ARO tonearm and a Troika cartridge in the early nineties. Great sound.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I had a Linn Sondek turntable with a Naim ARO tonearm and a Troika cartridge in the early nineties. Great sound.

That's a nice rig. My recording buddy Nick has a Linn LP12 with mods and a Benz cartridge. Sounds very good indeed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads