• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to have a vintage Pringle v-neck. Great cashmere.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
20 years ago Pringle was supposed to be the best. I never see them around any more. I assume they are just done.

Used to have a nice little store in the Burlington Arcade. In 1990, my mother bought a plain sweater there that was marked down from GBP 600.
wow.gif

They still exist, but as a fashion brand. They were popular, and very expensive, in Taiwan when I was there a year ago. I saw a lightweight cashmere argyle sweater selling for ~$1200US.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Ah the magic words have been spoken. And so, I shall participate.

Are you 100% set on cashemere? I have two shetland sweaters from McGeorge - gorgeous mix of colors in both. They are very versatile as well.

(click for bigger pics)

The first one is 'Baroque' - it has flecks of yellow and blue and red all over, looks awesome with most trousers I wear. Grey and navy go especially well with this sweater.

This perfect for all other trousers and jeans - a very dark purple with red, green and other colors.

See this page for more colors: http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...l_sweaters.php

I'd wear shetlands over cashmere anyday.

edit: Just noticed that Vox posted this already. D'oh!

These sweaters are sized by chest size? How is the fit Sri? Would you recommend getting your measured chest size or sizing up/down?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Well if you want the Baroque I already decided to order the size 34, sent them a mail, got a reply and will proceed to checkout when they next reply. So I'd pass on that
fight[1].gif

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I used to have a vintage Pringle v-neck. Great cashmere.

In the 80s, I had a Pringle navy blue cardigan. Thick, spongy, soft. One of my cats ate it.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Pop over to Paul Stuart and check if their 4-ply cashmere cables sport Made In Scotland on the labels.

If still so, these be them (Lockie knitted, limited colors, probably processed and spun by Todd & Duncan or Z. Hinchliffe, both Scottish though Z.H. is based in Eng..) > http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_ca...php?prod_ID=19

Might also check to see if Tuttle Catalog (online) and Maus & Hoffman (online) still stock Scottish knitwear, perhaps on sale. The Tuttle Scottish novelty stuff is likely to be Lockie, as with the M&H if not otherwise branded Ballantyne.

(Man wearing cashmere 'neath a Barbour is akin to a brocade vest, and you'll eventually complain about the abrasion. Coarse wool's apropos for stalking stag in the Sheep Meadow.)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well if you want the Baroque I already decided to order the size 34, sent them a mail, got a reply and will proceed to checkout when they next reply. So I'd pass on that
fight[1].gif

34? That sounds tiny. Did you call for the dimensions? There are some in 36 that I could go for.

Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Pop over to Paul Stuart and check if their 4-ply cashmere cables sport Made In Scotland on the labels.

If still so, these be them (Lockie knitted, limited colors, probably processed and spun by Todd & Duncan or Z. Hinchliffe, both Scottish though Z.H. is based in Eng..) > http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_ca...php?prod_ID=19

Might also check to see if Tuttle Catalog (online) and Maus & Hoffman (online) still stock Scottish knitwear, perhaps on sale. The Tuttle Scottish novelty stuff is likely to be Lockie, as with the M&H if not otherwise branded Ballantyne.

(Man wearing cashmere 'neath a Barbour is akin to a brocade vest, and you'll eventually complain about the abrasion. Coarse wool's apropos for stalking stag in the Sheep Meadow.)

Thanks for the tip--but I'm too cheap to pay Paul Stuart's premiums. How much do they want for that Lockie-made cable-knit, $700?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foo, you should detail this search in your blog. I think it could be of use from a posterity standpoint.

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Er, ah, umm, the emphasis was on the same sweater being available via Heather Wallace. You could inspect the goods first. Paul Stuart's price used to be circa $500 + tx., HW's 200GBP less VAT plus shipping and customs (if any) should be around $300 - 325.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
fight[1].gif

Dude, are you that petite or are the sweaters cut big and loose?

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score

Wow, I think we have a winner. Judging from their looks, the cashmere v-necks in M&H's catalog appear to be "it", and the price is also what one would expect ($385).

THANK YOU, I.G.!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Er, ah, umm, the emphasis was on the same sweater being available via Heather Wallace. You could inspect the goods first. Paul Stuart's price used to be circa $500 + tx., HW's 200GBP less VAT plus shipping and customs (if any) should be around $300 - 325.

Oh, missed that--not a bad idea at all.

Interesting note: after some confusing phone calls the other day, I learned that Heather Wallace is merely Lockie's own retail outlet. From what I can gather, the only difference between ordering from Heather Wallace and using Lockie's stock service is that the stock service requires a couple of days to 'process' your other, whereas Heather Wallace ships right away.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
very nice! However available in sizes 42-50
confused.gif

Lockie sizes indicate the sweater's chest measurement. So, a size 42 is 42 inches around the sweater's chest (21 inches across), allowing someone with a 38 inch chest four inches of room.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
These sweaters are sized by chest size? How is the fit Sri? Would you recommend getting your measured chest size or sizing up/down?

If you are on the slim side, go with your sportscoat size. Otherwise size up and get the next size. I am a slim 38R and I got mine in size 38, and they fit me well. 40 would have been loose on me. FWIW, a 38R in polo IV cut is slightly on the bigger side on my frame in the chest area, even with a thin sweater underneath on top of my dress shirt and undershirt.

Call Oconnells' and ask for Ethan. He is very helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads