• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
is it not probable that Digital will eventually negate any advantages of staying in the Analog realm?
stirpot.gif

One more thing - on older recordings where there is an analog tape, there will likely remain an advantage (becoming ever so small admittedly) to keeping the music entirely in the analog domain.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool...thanks for the info AF. I still don't see where I was so far off except that I was talking in idealistic terms and not practical ones. Prolly beating a dead horse here but if digital can contain all of the info as analog I don't see any advantage to analog...or are we talking distortion?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Just piling on -- great photo, AF!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Cool...thanks for the info AF. I still don't see where I was so far off except that I was talking in idealistic terms and not practical ones. Prolly beating a dead horse here but if digital can contain all of the info as analog I don't see any advantage to analog...or are we talking distortion?

It's a bit more complicated but if you have an analog tape then to create a CD you need to have an A to D process and to listen a D to A process. Both of these conversions introduce sonic distortions.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Just piling on -- great photo, AF!

Thanks!

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score

The point I think you're missing is that human senses, including our sense of hearing, include certain intangibles that cannot be reduced to or represented with 1's and 0's. E.g. for some people, myself included, the new CGI digital effects used in films feel completely empty compared to older, far less "advanced" techniques. Sure, the new digital methods may look more realistic, but they're missing a certain something in feeling. Music is the same way. It's not just heard, it's felt, and digital music leaves many people unsatisfied and empty inside. The problem isn't that digital does not contain all the information of analog, it's in the way this information is output or presented to our sense of hearing, and experienced by our brains. Often these intangibles cannot even be described in objective terms, so discussion of them becomes next to impossible.

Another problem is that people are products of their past experience. The less one has heard analog, the less one is able to distinguish what's missing from digital. I know a lot of younger people who sincerely believe 128kbps MP3's sound "perfect". You can't tell them they're wrong, because in their minds this garbage does sound perfect.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Another problem is that people are products of their past experience. The less one has heard analog, the less one is able to distinguish what's missing from digital. I know a lot of younger people who sincerely believe 128kbps MP3's sound "perfect". You can't tell them they're wrong, because in their minds this garbage does sound perfect.

So true.
worship.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People should just enjoy their media of choice, and refrain from making technical-sounding justifications for why they like their media. That's when we all get into trouble.

Nice picture of your turntable, AF. Could you describe how the shot was set up?

--Andre

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It's a bit more complicated but if you have an analog tape then to create a CD you need to have an A to D process and to listen a D to A process. Both of these conversions introduce sonic distortions.

Yes, this is my understanding and thanks again for all of your insight. I didn't know we had an audio pro here. I just got into this hobby about a year ago and it's become a mild obsession.

Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
The point I think you're missing is that human senses, including our sense of hearing, include certain intangibles that cannot be reduced to or represented with 1's and 0's. E.g. for some people, myself included, the new CGI digital effects used in films feel completely empty compared to older, far less "advanced" techniques. Sure, the new digital methods may look more realistic, but they're missing a certain something in feeling. Music is the same way. It's not just heard, it's felt, and digital music leaves many people unsatisfied and empty inside. The problem isn't that digital does not contain all the information of analog, it's in the way this information is output or presented to our sense of hearing, and experienced by our brains. Often these intangibles cannot even be described in objective terms, so discussion of them becomes next to impossible.

I see your point but my impression is that digital's "missing a certain something" is the missing information that is the attack and decay of the notes. This is the crux of the analog vs digital debate...that digital, as we know it today, is not capable of holding/processing/presenting as much information as analog. When it is, it will be as AF said, an issue of distortion introduced in the AD/DA conversions.

Anyway, I appreciate the discussion. But I still maintain that dowloaded FLACS played on my $500 CD Player/DAC combo sound just as good to my silver ears as my buddy's wax played on his $60K system...probably better when my new (10-year-old) $250 MAC-3 gets here
devil.gif

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
People should just enjoy their media of choice, and refrain from making technical-sounding justifications for why they like their media. That's when we all get into trouble.

--Andre

+1,000

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find that when I record certain albums off of vinyl onto tape using one of the old-school dbx expanders, the music's dynamic range is sometimes enhanced significantly.

The old dbx literature claimed that with an LP one only got so much due to the compression.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Analog also allows one to fulfill one's accessorizing yen--carbon fibre brushes, antistatic guns, record clamps/weights, Tiptoe feet, styus force gauges, tiny stylus bruhes, etc.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Analog also allows one to fulfill one's accessorizing yen--carbon fibre brushes, antistatic guns, record clamps/weights, Tiptoe feet, styus force gauges, tiny stylus bruhes, etc.

hell yeah, lk

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
dbx nasty
smile.gif

Are you a Dolby proponent? Dolby and dbx seem to be much more common in reel to reel setups to get rid of any probable tape hiss, which is why I suppose one doesn't hear much about them now.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
LK, am i correct in my reading? do you record your LP's to Reel to Reel tapes? Where do you find the tapes? I feel like I've read/heard something about them no longer producing reel to reel tape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics