• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freakishly Small Wrists

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5'8", 169 lBs, 6.75" wrists.

I also have very long spindly fingers. Being otherwise musically talented, it seems I should have been a pianist (I can easily play 10ths with one hand on a piano), but sadly just never had the coordination.

Also, ******** is just needlessly, unreasonably large. Is this germane to this thread? In any case, I just thought I'd mention that.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Years ago, I was in a meeting at work, typing on my laptop when a female co-worker commented on what great-looking wrists and hands I have. While I'm looking at her like she just started speaking ancient Etruscan, a bunch of other women in the room started in with "Doesn't he? I've always loved those!" It was freaking surreal. I'm always reminded of it when watching "V for Vendetta" where a lesbian character says her first love had the loveliest wrists she'd ever seen.

People are strange, and fixate on anything and everything.

I knew a girl with beautiful hands who was really awkward and I was like "Wow you have really nice hands" one time when quite a few people were present and they all agreed, and then she sat on her hands.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I knew a girl with beautiful hands who was really awkward and I was like "Wow you have really nice hands" one time when quite a few people were present and they all agreed, and then she sat on her hands.

Maybe if you quoted e. e. cummings then and there- ala "Hannah and her Sisters"- you and her both wouldn't have had to resort to l'estrange.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Years ago, I was in a meeting at work, typing on my laptop when a female co-worker commented on what great-looking wrists and hands I have. While I'm looking at her like she just started speaking ancient Etruscan, a bunch of other women in the room started in with "Doesn't he? I've always loved those!" It was freaking surreal. I'm always reminded of it when watching "V for Vendetta" where a lesbian character says her first love had the loveliest wrists she'd ever seen.

People are strange, and fixate on anything and everything.

Funny, that reminds me of the time this girl at work started speaking Etruscan to me while I was by the water cooler. I looked at her like she just told me I had great-looking wrists and hands. Then the rest of my female coworkers swarmed me and started jabbering away in Etruscan. I'm always reminded of it when I read Herodotus.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoilerRoom
Is anyone else cursed with this awkward affliction? My wrists are approximately 6" in circumference. I've always been aware of this, but it really came to my attention after I saw a picture of myself in which I literally looked photoshopped.

Strangely, my dad is broad and big boned and my mom is of average size. Anyone else with wrist/ body proportion abnormalities that seem to contradict their genetics??

No it's simple you just need to work out more. Try a jerking off session 6x a day and drinking a gallon of milk at every rest interval during the workouts. Just make sure you alternate hands.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Funny, that reminds me of the time this girl at work started speaking Etruscan to me while I was by the water cooler. I looked at her like she just told me I had great-looking wrists and hands. Then the rest of my female coworkers swarmed me and started jabbering away in Etruscan. I'm always reminded of it when I read Herodotus.

I'm not surprised - like I said, people are strange. And what's weirder, they always try to turn it back on you.
plain.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlandsboy
I'm 5'10", 135lbs, 6" wrists and hate them!

I think you need to eat more food.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlandsboy
I'm 5'10", 135lbs, 6" wrists and hate them!

I'm 5'5", 135lbs, 6" wrists and I love them!

Actually I don't care for them. Most watches look huge on me. Its not something I think about though unless for some weird reason I compare my wrist to some other dude or when a girls wrist is bigger than mine. Im continuously underestimated in arm wrestling which can be profitable.

There's worse things in life than baby wrists.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
I'm 5'5", 135lbs, 6" wrists and I love them!

Actually I don't care for them. Most watches look huge on me. Its not something I think about though unless for some weird reason I compare my wrist to some other dude or when a girls wrist is bigger than mine. Im continuously underestimated in arm wrestling which can be profitable.

There's worse things in life than baby wrists.

I tend not to buy oversized diver watches so all the stuff I wear looks normal on me.

doug funnie

Reaction score
My wrists definitely thickened once I got more serious about lifting. I attribute it (based on things Rippetoe has said) to the tendons and bones thickening in response to the stress from heavy squats, deadlifts, standing presses, and bench presses. I think most people would probably put 1/2 an inch or more on their wrists if they just focused on getting as strong in those 4 lifts as possible, but that would be a pretty stupid reason to start a lifting program like starting strength.

Just don't expect wrist curls and grippers to significantly change wrist size. They can certainly make your forearms grow, but the amount of loading with those exercises is very likely not enough to drive a significant adaptation to tendon/bone thickness.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrists are the most difficult place to add muscle. Don't buy into that "wrist ripper", even if you got huge from working out you wouldn't add the same proportion of muscle to your wrists because there is so little to go on. Your stuck with them.

I used to hate my wrists and forearms in High School and University when I wore t-shirts and crap like that, now that I wear suits and shirts to work that are cut properly I never think about them because they are proportionate to my clothing. A big arm hole in a baggy t-shirt is not proportionate to small boney arms and wrists sticking out of them, they only help to make them look even smaller. As with most things fashion, it all comes full circle to fit and proportion.

Take a t-shirt or golf shirt you have to a tailor and ask them to close up the arm and see how much better it looks because your arm, forearm and wrist are now all proportionate to the sleeve.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
take up glass blowing. Those dudes, all day long, have to keep turning a long pipe with heavy glass on the end.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just measured my wrist. 8.5"

Problems I have:

wristwatches need to have a very large face to look ok on my arms
Shirts never come in a size such that the cuff can easily accommodate my wrist and my watch. Generally, the cuff has to be buttoned above my watch and it can't slide easily over my watch, so I often look a bit unbalanced in a suit jacket.
Suits generally don't have large enough forearms and wrists. I notice more wear in the elbow of my suits than anywhere else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads