• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

Pawz

Reaction score
I 'inherited' a ton of records from my grandmother (a record player, too!). lol I should put them to use. I also have a small collection of broadway records I bought because I liked the covers. Maybe I'll give 'em a listen.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/ny...2&ref=nyregion

Perhaps someday the Reel to Reel player will arise again too.

I think this is fantastic. Other than live music, a high-end turntable setup is as satisfying as music gets. Maybe not the most "accurate" or with the most dynamic range, just the most satisfying.

I forget who it was (David Byrne or Neil Young?) who once said that digital music fills your ears, and leaves your soul empty. It's so true. Many younger kids have never heard analog recordings and have no idea what they're missing.

Of course this assumes studios are using original analog master tapes to master this new vinyl, at least for classic era material. It would be a real shame, not to mention a huge ripoff if they were simply taking analog output from a digital source and using that to master this vinyl.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Of course this assumes studios are using original analog master tapes to master this new vinyl, at least for classic era material. It would be a real shame, not to mention a huge ripoff if they were simply taking analog output from a digital source and using that to master this vinyl.

I have a rather large LP collection dating back to the 1970s when I started buying albums as a teenager.

Among my LPs is this gem:

Pelican_West.jpg

This was the first pop album recorded entirely digitally, and of course, there was no digital playback media then except for PCM. It's the epitome of bad music and horrible sound, a winning combination.

- B

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably have hearing damage from years of basement shows with in-the-red PAs, plus most of what I listen to seems to have been recorded in a dumpster, so sound quality is obviously not an issue for me. The whole audiophile thing seems pretty ridiculous, really (two words: styrofoam cups).

I just love handling records. CDs feel cheap and flimsy and the cases and booklets are tiny. Plus, the single is a really good format for lots of bands. If you don't have enough material for a full LP of great songs, you put out a 7". No filler.

I don't feel that you get much more from a CD than an mp3. A record seems worth the money (especially if it's got a gatefold jacket, colour vinyl, full-sized liner notes, etc.). Records appeal to the obsessive collector in me as well.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The fetishist in me buys up rare post-punk records, which I then record onto magnetic tape to preserve the vinyl.

I have a high quality system since I believe if you're going to listen to the stuff, you should do it in the most ideal conditions permissible. However, oftentimes this reveals the sources' original faults since a lot of that stuff was DIY music released on shoe-string budgets.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father has a still-functioning reel-to-reel player. It's awesome.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no better source than good wax but the gap is closing rapidly. Remastered digital music run through better and better DACs rivals even the best wax nowadays. The only real reason to own a turntable is for "the effect" and because you like the process. Or if you like album art and liner notes.

Records can be a very expensive proposition if you do it right. A buddy of mine put well over $20k into equipment and a budding wax collection only to decide later that he liked my (much cheaper) digital set-up more. I think the trend is already starting to drift back to digital...especially in the audiophile market.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a nice-sized vinyl collection assembled from various relatives. i need a turntable to replace my ****** sony *************.

i'm going back and forth b/t belt and direct-drive. in all honesty, i'll probably barely even use the thing so will it really make a difference which one i choose?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I agree with Faded501s. The quality CD player to LP gap has narrowed significantly. I am a big lover of LP playing. There is something great about keeping music in the analog domain and the pleasure of listening intently to good music, not as some background music. I would also point out that we are in a Golden Age of fine audiophile reissues. The current MusicMatters Jazz LPs rival anything that has been done and the Doors LP box set was incredible. It's a really fun time to be an audiophile and music lover.
wink.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Here's my VPI Scoutmaster playing the new blue vinyl Miles Davis Kind of Blue:
blue.jpg
For you audio fans, that's a Grado Sonata wood body cartridge (great cartridge, a bit warm though) and the acrylic platter is translucent so it picks up color really well. VPI saw this pic, asked for a copy, and is planning to include it in an upcoming gallery section for their website. This is just the entry level JMW9 arm which is a unipivot design. It tracks very well and has some advantages over the longer 10.5" arm.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Here's my VPI Scoutmaster playing the new blue vinyl Miles Davis Kind of Blue:

For you audio fans, that's a Grado Sonata wood body cartridge (great cartridge, a bit warm though) and the acrylic platter is translucent so it picks up color really well. VPI saw this pic, asked for a copy, and is planning to include it in an upcoming gallery section for their website.

worship.gif
That is one COOL pic! Nice table AF. If I had the $ I'd probably get into wax but just "decent" hardware would probably cost 5X what I've got into my system. This dude I'm talking about has one of those architectural-looking jobs with the detached motor that drives the belt. I forget what make it is but it is QUITE impressive looking + $700 cartridge and $700 record cleaner, etc., etc. Too rich for my $100 Oppo blood
blush.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
worship.gif
That is one COOL pic! Nice table AF. If I had the $ I'd probably get into wax but just "decent" hardware would probably cost 5X what I've got into my system. This dude I'm talking about has one of those architectural-looking jobs with the detached motor that drives the belt. I forget what make it is but it is QUITE impressive looking + $700 cartridge and $700 record cleaner, etc., etc. Too rich for my $100 Oppo blood
blush.gif

Thanks.
smile.gif

Audio Technica PL120 is under $200. Rega P1 with cartridge is under $350.
devil.gif

The VPI I have has a detached motor which drives the platter with the black "belt" you see in the picture.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would assume most new music stamped in vinyl nowadays are recorded/mixed/mastered (any or all of the above) in a digital format anyways. Besides the physical involvement listening to vinyl requires, is there any real benefit to getting these albums in vinyl if they are pressed from the same master as the CD?

The only two new-ish albums I would say the vinyl surpasses the CD by a long-shot are the vinyl of RHCP's Stadium Arcadium and White Stripes' Icky Thump.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads