• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
All the crewneck sweaters that I wear are thick, cableknit cashmere Alan Paines that I got in the late 1980s. Aside from the subtle color variegations peculiar to really good cashmere, they look like lambswool. Unlike nearly all cashmeres today, however, the handle on them is not soft and fuzzy, but smooth and somewhat spongey, resiliant. There's virtually zero pilling on them after all these years, even around the elbows. If you can actually source NOS sweaters of English or Scottish make from before the early nineties, then I would go for that.

As for color, I reach for the Paine worn under the BearCat in this gigantic shot more than the others (a heather gray, a heather green, a bright yellow, a mid blue, and a navy blue.) I have dark brown hair flecked in gray and am very fair skinned, if that makes a difference to you...I know that your OneSweater must work with Orientialist colorations, so maybe it wouldn't work for you, but I like it a lot.

- B

Is there a reliable source of NOS sweaters? I wouldn't mind getting one or two quality cableknit crewnecks, but all indicators point to 'they don't make 'em like they used to'.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I miss your WAYWRN posts (or I haven't seen them). I look forward to you getting back on the wagon.

Sorry, been in NYC this week and my wife insisted on carrying the camera, so I didn't have it in my office. LOL Thanks for the kind words.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...ers_cabled.php
Is there a reliable source of NOS sweaters? I wouldn't mind getting one or two quality cableknit crewnecks, but all indicators point to 'they don't make 'em like they used to'.

I have no idea. I assume
foo.gif
is on the trail, but any search for sources in the US for this type of thing would start with O'Connell's or underneath the cobwebbed staff at Cable Car.

For example, not cashmere, but here is O'Connell's remaining deadstock of McGeorge Shetlands...I would expect this inventory to be inaccurate, however. Cabled McGeorges.

And the O'Connell's deadstock museum.

- B

JammieDodger

Reaction score
I'm such a noob.

I saw the v-neck or crew-neck briefly mentioned. Here's the noob question, are crew necks really okay with collared shirts?

If they are then I'll get crews as they're more versatile (can wear just a t-shirt underneath).

I've worn one with a collared shirt and the collar just seemed too pronounced at the back, might be the collar though.

Finally, collar tucked in or left out?

God this is embarassing.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/mcg...ers_cabled.php

I have no idea. I assume
foo.gif
is on the trail, but any search for sources in the US for this type of thing would start with O'Connell's or underneath the cobwebbed staff at Cable Car.

For example, not cashmere, but here is O'Connell's remaining deadstock of McGeorge Shetlands...I would expect this inventory to be inaccurate, however. Cabled McGeorges.

And the O'Connell's deadstock museum.

- B

Thanks, I might have to give them a call to check on the stock.

Originally Posted by JammieDodger
I'm such a noob.

I saw the v-neck or crew-neck briefly mentioned. Here's the noob question, are crew necks really okay with collared shirts?

If they are then I'll get crews as they're more versatile (can wear just a t-shirt underneath).

I've worn one with a collared shirt and the collar just seemed too pronounced at the back, might be the collar though.

Finally, collar tucked in or left out?

God this is embarassing.

http://vox.smugmug.com/Fashion/soign...28_eRdi4-O.jpg

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Right, v-neck it is then. I don't think that'll sort the prominent collar problem but I can talk to O'Flynn about that.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
Right, v-neck it is then. I don't think that'll sort the prominent collar problem but I can talk to O'Flynn about that.

? The pic of vox was showing that you can successfully wear a thick crewneck sweater with a dress shirt.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
? The pic of vox was showing that you can successfully wear a thick crewneck sweater with a dress shirt.

It was? I did wonder as the rest of the outfit looked good.

But the collar was standing up weird.

I'm not going to debate this, I'm a sartorial idiot. I'll go with a crewneck, I don't think I can handle having a v-neck and only being able to wear it with a button down.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I got my first navy cashmere v-neck sweater a few weeks ago and I can't stop wearing it, it seems to go with almost everything, business and casual.

Careful TC, there's no upper limit here. Trust me on this one.

Ever see "Attack of the Mushroom People"?

First it's just a taste, and before you know it you'll be sleeping in it and taking it to the mountains for long weekends.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal_1
the key for all colors of cashmere or lambswool sweater is that it be 'heathered'

This seems hard to find. I've seen good cashmere with natural variations in its color, but the effect is subtle enough that I wouldn't call it true heathering.

Originally Posted by HHD
I was looking at Glenmac cashmere pullovers in Le Bon MarchÃ
00a9.png
. They seemed to fit the bill, very thick and solid, looked more like lambswool than the other Scottish cashmere brands in the shop. I haven't been able to discover much about this company though. Prices were high, €400+. Perhaps they're cheaper in the UK.

Hmm. I used the Scottish Cashmere Club website as a jumping point, as they purport to list the only Scottish knitters of Scottish cashmere yarn left. I didn't see Glenmac listed. My guess is that someone else makes for them.

Do you mean black and white?

The only thing whiter than a white person is an Asian.

Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I got my first navy cashmere v-neck sweater a few weeks ago and I can't stop wearing it, it seems to go with almost everything, business and casual.

This has been my experience, too. I have green, burgundy, and grey sweaters--but none get chosen as frequently as my navy one.

Originally Posted by pejsek
Laing, N. Peal, and Berk are all good, but the best by far are the old Ballantynes.

I think Berk sells Scottish-made Ballantyne exclusively, now. At least, that's what they told me over the phne. What's the deal with the current iteration of N. Peal? Are they just a label attached to stuff made by someone else?

I'm not even going to bother with Laing. Too hard to find and Lockie seems to be similarly well-reputed.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
+1

Like fierry chestnut in sweater form?

I have no idea. I assume
foo.gif

I've found some interesting stuff. I will say this: if you want it badly enough and aren't that picky about the details or price, you can get it.

Yes, but that crewneck opening appears larger and deeper than most, which helps.

Originally Posted by iammatt
High yeller.

Oh, what do jew know?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not Jew...JASP. He's made it to the outer circle.

- B

Presumably the WASPs will keep him out of the inner circle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads