• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took an online quiz for you. I had to guess on some things: Monet or Van Gogh? (I went with VG). Hybrid or convertible? (I went with convertible). Roses, sunflowers, or "I prefer plants?" (I went with plants). Here are your results (from Better Homes and Gardens online - as fine a publication as there is in the world): You can thank me later: Your color personality is: Green It sounds like the hue you most relate to is green -- the color most evocative of nature. Adjectives such as kind, gentle, and contemplative likely describe you. You enjoy being involved with your neighbors and coworkers, but you also require plenty of time to yourself to recharge. You are social yet introverted, and modern but not trendy. Surround yourself with your signature color to create a restful, soothing environment. From sage to hunter, green can work well in virtually every room of your house. Use it generously to create a haven you'll love coming home to.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

pwned again.
frown.gif

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a really red sweater, nothing like my red/wine.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I still think lambswool looks better.

Originally Posted by iammatt
Cashmere looks too luxurious.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Interesting. Others here seem to strongly recommend against the Italian stuff. All I can say is that I value durability and craftsmanship over absolute softness.

All the crewneck sweaters that I wear are thick, cableknit cashmere Alan Paines that I got in the late 1980s. Aside from the subtle color variegations peculiar to really good cashmere, they look like lambswool. Unlike nearly all cashmeres today, however, the handle on them is not soft and fuzzy, but smooth and somewhat spongey, resiliant. There's virtually zero pilling on them after all these years, even around the elbows. If you can actually source NOS sweaters of English or Scottish make from before the early nineties, then I would go for that.

As for color, I reach for the Paine worn under the BearCat in this gigantic shot more than the others (a heather gray, a heather green, a bright yellow, a mid blue, and a navy blue.) I have dark brown hair flecked in gray and am very fair skinned, if that makes a difference to you...I know that your OneSweater must work with Orientialist colorations, so maybe it wouldn't work for you, but I like it a lot.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
As for color, I reach for the Paine worn under the BearCat in this gigantic shot more than the others (a heather gray, a heather green, a bright yellow, a mid blue, and a navy blue.) I have dark brown hair flecked in gray and am very fair skinned, if that makes a difference to you...I know that your OneSweater must work with Orientialist colorations, so maybe it wouldn't work for you, but I like it a lot.

Actually, that's very helpful. You and I are colored very similarly.

Originally Posted by furo
Once the foo finds the right color and maker, how many will he buy of that color/maker?

There are no plans for a OneSweater.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Chocolate brown is nice for cashmere since it's not a 'traditional' color for lambswool like grey or tan.

+1

Originally Posted by EL72
I would recommend you go for a crewneck rather than v-neck.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the key for all colors of cashmere or lambswool sweater is that it be 'heathered'

it provides surface interest and depth

a heathered colored sweater is much more interesting than a solid color just as wool sportcoat that's heathered is more interesting than wool that's solid

HHD

Reaction score
I was looking at Glenmac cashmere pullovers in Le Bon MarchÃ
00a9.png
. They seemed to fit the bill, very thick and solid, looked more like lambswool than the other Scottish cashmere brands in the shop. I haven't been able to discover much about this company though. Prices were high, €400+. Perhaps they're cheaper in the UK.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Actually, that's very helpful. You and I are colored very similarly.

Do you mean black and white?

- B

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first navy cashmere v-neck sweater a few weeks ago and I can't stop wearing it, it seems to go with almost everything, business and casual.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I got my first navy cashmere v-neck sweater a few weeks ago and I can't stop wearing it, it seems to go with almost everything, business and casual.
I miss your WAYWRN posts (or I haven't seen them). I look forward to you getting back on the wagon.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Unlike nearly all cashmeres today, however, the handle on them is not soft and fuzzy, but smooth and somewhat spongey, resiliant. There's virtually zero pilling on them after all these years, even around the elbows. If you can actually source NOS sweaters of English or Scottish make from before the early nineties, then I would go for that.

- B

This is a good recommendation and an evocative description of old school Scottish cashmere. To my mind the aesthetically pleasing thing is this combination of luxury with a Scots protestant austerity and a realistic expectation of being able to hand it on down the line. Once upon a time I collected a lot of Scottish and English cashmere sweaters--enough to outfit the whole family for a long time. Laing, N. Peal, and Berk are all good, but the best by far are the old Ballantynes. As long as the moths are kept at bay I think my great grandchildren may be stitching them together to warm themselves during the upcoming nuclear winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads