• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Cashmere looks too luxurious.

Am I the only one who doesn't really give sweaters much thought? I buys those I like, they have diff mixes and quality is not much of a factor (all rook same). Right now I'm wearing an oversized designer one and I think it even has a synthetic %, looks good to me.

Now I tend to like cotton/cashmere because its light...

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very light, almost pearl grey is very versatile, and goes well with sky blue shirts, jeans, dark grey trousers, and chinos in the usual colours. If you really don't like pearl grey on your dark grey trousers, consider a light tan or cream colour of sorts.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Am I the only one who doesn't really give sweaters much thought?

No. I think Foo is the only one who gives everything too much thought.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wearing a navy cashmere today. You just can't beat it for mixing with almost anything. Then a charcoal gray is probably next as far as versatility. After that, I really like color. My two favorites have been purple and coral. I probably get the most comments on these. They are ideal for more casual outings and parties. A nice sweater is the perfect way to add an interesting color to your wardrobe.

Wine colors just don't work for me, but maybe that is because of my skin tone.

BTW, I used to hate purple. But once I tried it I really grew to like it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
No, nothing like that. Just too soft looking. The cashmere/silk blends are Stefano Wretched.

Fair enough. I recently had the opportunity to inspect some NOS 4-ply cashmere from Scotland. I was struck by how smooth the finish was--nothing like the frothy stuff Loro Piana or Cucinelli sell. It was more like merino than the cashmere I've seen. I understand that this is a mark of quality, but I can't help but feel it doesn't have as much character on the surface. I assume my mind just hasn't been broken yet, but we'll see.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
Am I the only one who doesn't really give sweaters much thought?

I haven't, until now.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Lockie, Johnstons, a few NOS McGeorge and Murray Allan I've seen around, etc.
I've been quite disappointed by a Johnstons of Elgin sweater purchased in the St Andrews flagship store a couple of years ago: buttery soft, it's already falling apart. An older Ballantyne (yeah yeah) is holding up much much better, and doesn't scream 'cashmere!'. Gentry Portofino also makes good quality sweaters -- not sure if they're still around though.

KayJay85

Reaction score
I find that for the evenings a deep maroon/purple works very well.

For daytime office wear, not so much.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Camel, navy, wine, light gray, medium blue.

If you feel you must spend more, add medium gray and forest green.

Agree re: lambswool. Also try hand knitted shetland. Can be had cheap.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
I've been looking into getting a plain, v-neck cashmere sweater, and began pondering the issue of color. As sweaters are soundly outside my regular wardrobe system, I don't have any strong theories about what color to get. My first thought is navy blue, but I like the idea of a light-colored cashmere, as that appears to make the most of the fiber. A light beige or even a cream seem very nice in theory, but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be wearing such an expanse of a light color (I prefer a classic, not slim, fit). Also, I hate to consider it, but my skin might clash.

Green is out of the question: I intend to wear the sweater casually under my waxed cotton Barbour, which is olive green. As some of you know, I hate purple. Light blue is pretty, but won't work over my OCBDs.

A rust or a dark brown could be nice, but that's getting dark again.

Thoughts?

Oh, and the standard disclaimer applies: I've already decided and, though valued, your opinions will have no effect.

Few colors are more versatile than navy blue, but it may not work with your Barbour. Depending on the exact shade, olive green can often be one of the most difficult colors to complement.

Lighter colors do 'make the most of the fiber', at the cost of versatility. Also, you probably already knew this, but cream/off-white pullovers (not cardigans, interestingly) have been out of fashion for quite a while.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
If you really don't like pearl grey on your dark grey trousers, consider a light tan or cream colour of sorts.

As of the moment, navy and light tan are the top contenders.

Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
No. I think Foo is the only one who gives everything too much thought.

I give everything just the right amount of thought.

Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Can someone explain what's happening with the "state of cashmere"?

Since it has been popularized at all levels of consumption, and the Italians have changed perceptions of quality at the high end, there is no longer enough demand for classically high-quality cashmere. Consequently, most cashmere today is junk, and often not even cashmere.

This is the story, abridged, as I understand it.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
BTW, I used to hate purple. But once I tried it I really grew to like it.

Will not happen for me--I guarantee it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
I've been quite disappointed by a Johnstons of Elgin sweater purchased in the St Andrews flagship store a couple of years ago: buttery soft, it's already falling apart.

This is why the news from Cable Car confused me. You guys seem to universally hate Johnstons.

Originally Posted by KayJay85
I find that for the evenings a deep maroon/purple works very well.

In the evenings, I'd probably wear a jacket instead, anyway.

Originally Posted by Manton
Camel, navy, wine, light gray, medium blue.

Is this in order of preference?

Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Lighter colors do 'make the most of the fiber', at the cost of versatility. Also, you probably already knew this, but cream/off-white pullovers (not cardigans, interestingly) have been out of fashion for quite a while.

Eh, not concerned about whether it will be fashionable.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which maker did you use? I am strongly favoring Lockie after finding out how much Cable Car wants for their Laing sweaters. Also, they informed me that their owner believes Johnstons is superior to both Laing and Scott & Charters, which he thinks are on par with each other.

On the other hand, everyone seems to think highly of Lockie--including people I've talked to at stores over in the UK.

For the V necks I went with Brooks Bros who contracted a company in Scotland, not sure of their name, but the quality is just fine imo considering I paid $179 each, and made with 3-ply yarn. Don't know how they compare to Laing, since I haven't handled/owned one.

For the cable knits I got RLPL, made with Loro Piana yarn in Italy, but not sure what factory/maker actually knits them. The hand knit RLPL is from China, but also with LP yarn.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Since it has been popularized at all levels of consumption, and the Italians have changed perceptions of quality at the high end, there is no longer enough demand for classically high-quality cashmere. Consequently, most cashmere today is junk, and often not even cashmere.

This is the story, abridged, as I understand it.

So far, the Scots are the ones who've bailed on traditional quality. I've always preferred Scottish cashmere to Italian, but Italy's higher-end mfrs have maintained their traditional quality specs while Scottish companies (nearly all of them at least) have not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads