• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is your best friend of the opposite sex?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never had a female best friend, and never would, because I know if my gf had a male best friend it would bug the hell out of me.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
My best friend is my dog. Never argues, always loyal, always happy to see me, low maintenance and the list goes on.

try upgrading to a mail-order bride... same advantages plus sex and given the right training, clean dishes and ironed clothes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I guess I make a subtle distinction here. My best friend is a French guy. My closest friend is an Indian girl. She is my only female friend however. I keep an active cap on those.

Hehlol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
no fegs, im not asking if your wife/gf is your best friend.

how do you balance that friendship when you're in a relationship? for those who say it isnt a problem, your SO is a saint.

i believe it goes without saying that this thread is (no ****).

I don't know man, your preoccupation with making sure nobody on a fashion forum thinks your gay is kind of...gay.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To tell you the truth I'm not sure what this thread is really about.

First off if you're married or engaged then that woman/man should be your best friend among other things. After that is your social circle of friends which is another thing altogether. I find it odd when someone wants to take a member from this group and somehow value them as much as a spouse/SO. It's even more strange when that person is of the opposite sex. My first thoughts when I see this kind of thing is what's the problem or WTF is really going on here.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
To tell you the truth I'm not sure what this thread is really about. First off if you're married or engaged then that woman/man should be your best friend among other things. After that is your social circle of friends which is another thing altogether. I find it odd when someone wants to take a member from this group and somehow value them as much as a spouse/SO. It's even more strange when that person is of the opposite sex. My first thoughts when I see this kind of thing is what's the problem or WTF is really going on here.
Regardless if you're married or whatnot, it isn't weird. You can be good friends with someone without any sexual interest, I'm good friends with some girls who I don't consider attractive, and friends with some lesbians. It's not that I'm better friends with them than my girlfriend, we just have a different dynamic. Just because your favourite food is steak, doesn't mean you don't want pancakes for breakfast. Also in my case, I've known my girlfriend for around a year, but the majority of my close female friends I've known for closer to 3 years, and one or two of them over ten. Also, you need female friends to talk about your girl problems because talking about them to dudes is worthless. Girls will actually care about your problems and try to give you insight, where guys will just be like "suck it up" "dump that *****" "plenty of fish in the sea" "get drunk and you won't care." Useless **** like that. My girlfriend and I have no worries or jealousy about the other whatsoever. I've slept over at other girls' houses before, she knows that, and she doesn't care. She knows I wasn't cheating. Because we have this nice healthy relationship where we know that we'd just go ahead break up if we were interested in other people. It's gotta suck balls to have a jealous girlfriend, I'd dump her immediately, nothing is worse than someone trying to judge you when you're not even doing anything wrong.

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
Regardless if you're married or whatnot, it isn't weird.

You can be good friends with someone without any sexual interest, I'm good friends with some girls who I don't consider attractive, and friends with some lesbians. It's not that I'm better friends with them than my girlfriend, we just have a different dynamic. Just because your favourite food is steak, doesn't mean you don't want pancakes for breakfast. Also in my case, I've known my girlfriend for around a year, but the majority of my close female friends I've known for closer to 3 years, and one or two of them over ten.

Also, you need female friends to talk about your girl problems because talking about them to dudes is worthless. Girls will actually care about your problems and try to give you insight, where guys will just be like "suck it up" "dump that *****" "plenty of fish in the sea" "get drunk and you won't care." Useless **** like that.

My girlfriend and I have no worries or jealousy about the other whatsoever. I've slept over at other girls' houses before, she knows that, and she doesn't care. She knows I wasn't cheating. Because we have this nice healthy relationship where we know that we'd just go ahead break up if we were interested in other people.

It's gotta suck balls to have a jealous girlfriend, I'd dump her immediately, nothing is worse than someone trying to judge you when you're not even doing anything wrong.

I think you just have ****** guy friends. Possibly because you're seen as a guy whose best friends are girls. I know a guy like that and he has no close guy friends whatsoever, apart from the "don't be a *****" type that you seem to be describing.

This is all conjecture, though.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless if you're married or whatnot, it isn't weird.

You can be good friends with someone without any sexual interest, I'm good friends with some girls who I don't consider attractive, and friends with some lesbians. It's not that I'm better friends with them than my girlfriend, we just have a different dynamic. Just because your favourite food is steak, doesn't mean you don't want pancakes for breakfast. Also in my case, I've known my girlfriend for around a year, but the majority of my close female friends I've known for closer to 3 years, and one or two of them over ten.

Also, you need female friends to talk about your girl problems because talking about them to dudes is worthless. Girls will actually care about your problems and try to give you insight, where guys will just be like "suck it up" "dump that *****" "plenty of fish in the sea" "get drunk and you won't care." Useless **** like that.

My girlfriend and I have no worries or jealousy about the other whatsoever. I've slept over at other girls' houses before, she knows that, and she doesn't care. She knows I wasn't cheating. Because we have this nice healthy relationship where we know that we'd just go ahead break up if we were interested in other people.

It's gotta suck balls to have a jealous girlfriend, I'd dump her immediately, nothing is worse than someone trying to judge you when you're not even doing anything wrong.

This is a thread about your best friend and not good friends. Your response validates exactly what I have said about it being weird or the sign of a problem.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tor
I think you just have ****** guy friends. Possibly because you're seen as a guy whose best friends are girls. I know a guy like that and he has no close guy friends whatsoever, apart from the "don't be a *****" type that you seem to be describing. This is all conjecture, though.
I am exaggerating, obviously. I only have a few friends who are like that and my best guy friends aren't really like that. But I still always get interesting conversation from girls, equally to more interesting than from my best guy friends. And I have a female friend who allows me to ***** at her for an unrestricted amount of time about my problems and will always just "be supportive" if she's not useful it's at least a nice thing. Don't know many guys like that.

tor

Reaction score
I am exaggerating, obviously. I only have a few friends who are like that and my best guy friends aren't really like that. But I still always get interesting conversation from girls, equally to more interesting than from my best guy friends. And I have a female friend who allows me to ***** at her for an unrestricted amount of time about my problems and will always just "be supportive" if she's not useful it's at least a nice thing. Don't know many guys like that.
Maybe I just have really good guy friends. I ***** to my guy friends about whatever I want. Although I get what you're saying: sometimes it's just easier to ***** to a girl, which is what my good girl friend is for. Ha, she never seems to get tired of talking about the most inane things.

SVS

Reaction score
I've had a female best friend for more than 10 years. Most of my GFs, haven't had a problem with it. I'm not shy about who she is with my GFs and they just accept it for what it is. (A few of the GF may have realized they go before she did.) Really, it hasn't been a problem.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have many close female friends, and few close male friends. Don't know why, it just works out like that.

My wife is not at all jealous of my female friends - she introduced me to many of them. Two of them are my drinking buddies - no bottle of red is safe when we get together.

I've been married 28 years, so it seems to work OK

Runningman411

Reaction score
Why would anyone want to be best friends with a female? Close friends or drinking buddies I can understand. But, if you're in serious relationship with a woman, why would you want to have two women nagging you all the time? Seriously, though, it takes a different approach to be friends with a woman. You can sit and watch a game with a buddy and not say anything meaningful to each other for 3 hours. You just can't do that with a woman.

Those of you that like to have girl talk with your female best friends should reevaluate things...
laugh.gif

jabreal00

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
no fegs, im not asking if your wife/gf is your best friend.

how do you balance that friendship when you're in a relationship? for those who say it isnt a problem, your SO is a saint.

i believe it goes without saying that this thread is (no ****).

No. All my closest friends are guys. I have female friends but I do no regularly keep up.

----------------
Listening to: Goldfrapp - Paperbag
via FoxyTunes

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Runningman411
Why would anyone want to be best friends with a female? Close friends or drinking buddies I can understand. But, if you're in serious relationship with a woman, why would you want to have two women nagging you all the time? Seriously, though, it takes a different approach to be friends with a woman. You can sit and watch a game with a buddy and not say anything meaningful to each other for 3 hours. You just can't do that with a woman.

Those of you that like to have girl talk with your female best friends should reevaluate things...
laugh.gif

I don't like listening to games, I'd rather talk with people. There is nothing to reevaluate except the stupid clichÃ
00a9.png
s you take for granted and that are limiting your horizons. Note that most dudes I know aren't really into being dumbass pricks and I can actually talk to them too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads