• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

By Robert James

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
img1246i.jpg
Back in October, forum member thatgirl was kind enough to invite Styleforum over to check out the store at her new gig at By Robert James in NYC. I'd rather just let the photos speak for themselves but the collection is fairly SF-friendly not only by design but also price. Here's a good link to the lookbook as well as an interview with RJ himself: http://lookbooks.com/posts/view/by-r...onest-handsome
img1247i.jpg
img1253.jpg
img1250xk.jpg
img1249.jpg
img1262m.jpg
img1259b.jpg
img1267d.jpg
img1277lm.jpg
img1270k.jpg

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is the biggest fashion faux paux by men these days? 1) When wearing a woven shirt un-tucked… DO NOT BUTTON THE BOTTOM BUTTON ON THE SHIRT. The whole idea of wearing a woven shirt untucked is to leave the last button undone. It's only meant to be buttoned so that it is kept tight when the shirt is tucked in. Hmm

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
. The whole idea of wearing a woven shirt untucked is to leave the last button undone.

Really? That's the whole idea? It has nothing to do with either the aesthetics or feel of leaving your shirt untucked?

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too much cuff.
lg_4b05632c-63c8-4854-83e5-5b594b7db902_1258644268__mg_0886_copy_100dpi.jpg

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
fake black eye? okay, commentary on the clothing: it's gitman. or woolrich. or any other number of american heritage brands. at least his store has a cool ambiance.
It is and it isn't. There's clearly a workwear theme but some of it is clearly more western and closer to RRL. I definitely got a "ELC" vibe from the clothes I saw in the store but some pieces like the cords were fitted like r&b. It's not exactly fair to compare one brand as a mix of xyz and abc as it stands on its own legs but as most people here aren't familiar with rbj I'm just trying to provide a general guide using known brands. Also, can we keep talk in here until the other thread gets merged into this one? Thanks.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
It is and it isn't. There's clearly a workwear theme but some of it is clearly more western and closer to RRL. I definitely got a "ELC" vibe from the clothes I saw in the store but some pieces like the cords were fitted like r&b.
Maybe I have to see it in person to get the Western vibe. The lookbook shirt patterns could've been pulled from Gitman archives, and that coat has a "Civil War" vibe. edit: shoreman used "steampunk" and I actually get that vibe too!! It could be that dude's black eye reminding me of a monocle.

that girl

Reaction score
He pulls his inspiration from people, events, and clothing during 1860 - 1960, so there's a different aesthetic mix than just "western" or workwear, although both things I can definitely see.

Oh, and that dude's black eye was totally faked, it makes him look .. tough? Hah

Wrigglez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Too much cuff.
lg_4b05632c-63c8-4854-83e5-5b594b7db902_1258644268__mg_0886_copy_100dpi.jpg

too much cuff? what about having both buttons done up. tut tut

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
brj's aesthetic seems in line with the growing trend of new victorianism, gq wrote this article about it a few weeks ago featuring two dudes in brooklyn i bought a chocolate bar from. it's very "there will be blood" and i've seen many of the pieces in person through my friends' band who are sponsored by BRJ. then again, their lead singer has a very jeremiah johnson-esque vibe to him so it's no wonder how he can pull it off so well.

that girl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
brj's aesthetic seems in line with the growing trend of new victorianism, gq wrote this article about it a few weeks ago featuring two dudes in brooklyn i bought a chocolate bar from. it's very "there will be blood" and i've seen many of the pieces in person through my friends' band who are sponsored by BRJ. then again, their lead singer has a very jeremiah johnson-esque vibe to him so it's no wonder how he can pull it off so well.
yeah! that's a pretty solid article, thanks! and those boys (US Royalty) rock BRJ so well . . . pics from a show they played in Brooklyn a few weeks ago

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
what about having both buttons done up. tut tut

the way that jacket is cut you should button both. that rule is not always meant to be obeyed and in this case better not to since the button stance is so high and leaving the bottom open would cause the jacket front quarters to gape open unsightly

negusnegas

Reaction score
The owner is a very cool dude. As far as I know, everything is made locally and he seems to be uberconscious of keeping it that way. He also has a tailor in the back and does some tailoring himself, which is something I thought was a very cool value add. I only bought one shirt from him, but was considering having a coat made. I think he offers what would amount to made to measure coats for $800, which I thought wasn't bad. The look is definitely very distinctive and a lot of it just ain't my cup of tea, but def much respect to anyone still willing to put out a quality product.

constantine.

Reaction score
So what is the biggest fashion faux paux by men these days?
1) When wearing a woven shirt un-tucked... DO NOT BUTTON THE BOTTOM BUTTON ON THE SHIRT. The whole idea of wearing a woven shirt untucked is to leave the last button undone. It's only meant to be buttoned so that it is kept tight when the shirt is tucked in.

Hmm

i never button the last button. i'm not sure why though.

emptym

Reaction score
I stopped by this place on Sun. Very interesting stuff, from jeans to fully canvased suits w/ very high armholes. Everything's still made in town. Loved a completely unlined navy sport coat. Met Robert himself and enjoyed talking w/ him. If I lived in NYC, I'd get some unlined cotton jackets mto w/ a few tweaks to the one he had.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads