• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bangor, ME

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Portland has more culture to offer. With its hills, Portland reminds me of a miniature version of San Francisco.

Bangor is not too far from Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor--one of my all time favorite places to visit.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
Bangor is pretty remote and is not nearly as cosmopolitan as Portland and those towns in Portland's vicinity. Bangor was an Air Force town.
Bullshit. Bangor was never an Air fiorce town, whatever that means. There was a big AF base in Arrostook County once, more than 100 miles north.
Originally Posted by clarinetplayer
Portland has more culture to offer. With its hills, Portland reminds me of a miniature version of San Francisco.
Bullshit. There's one real hill in Portland, Munjoy Hill, and it's not much of one. I was born in Bangor, Conne. This is a good thread.​

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Bangor, aside from being the punchline to an AF joke, is the jumping off point for the North woods. After that you've only got are Greenville / Millinocket, or Presque Isle / Caribou way up in the County....

Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
Bullshit. Bangor was never an Air fiorce town, whatever that means. There was a big AF base in Arrostook County once, more than 100 miles north.​
I was born in Bangor, Conne. This is a good thread.[/indent]

Caribou was AF base, no? I think it is gone now, and Presque Isle has become the de facto crossroads of the County....

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Egdon Heath
Bullshit. Bangor was never an Air fiorce town, whatever that means. There was a big AF base in Arrostook County once, more than 100 miles north.​

Bullshit. There's one real hill in Portland, Munjoy Hill, and it's not much of one. I was born in Bangor, Conne. This is a good thread.​

this is a good thread because you were born in bangor? DIS THREAD IS A FAIL BECUZ U R TEH FUKHEAD!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That does it then. I will be moving to Portland.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Too bad the topless donut joint in Portland burned down.
frown.gif

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Caribou was AF base, no? I think it is gone now, and Presque Isle has become the de facto crossroads of The County....
+1 for Down East knowledge. Though there are 16 counties in Maine, 'The County' means only Aroostook, slightly larger than Connecticut.
Originally Posted by Connemara
That does it then. I will be moving to Portland.
This is just for you Conne:
Thogh I was born in Bangor, the family moved south to Cape Elizabeth, next to Portland, when I was 8. We lived on the same road and about a mile from Bette Davis and when she and Gary Merrill split, a high school buddy's folks bought the place and inbetweeen her moving out and them moving in, about six of us had a boozeless and weedless (this was c. '59) but nevertheless highly entertaining night in Bette's creaky old seaside mansion. Ahhh, I remember it still.​

tor

Reaction score
Rogues Gallery is in Portland. I visit some family friends in Maine every year, and we usually go to Portland for this sushi place called Yosaku. Their hamachi kama (grilled yellowtail gills/neck, best part of the fish imo) is ridiculous.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by underwearer
bangor? I don't even know her

This should go in the old guys thread. Anyone remember when Letterman used to call people in Bangor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads