• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another car poll: G37 vs. 335i

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Username79

Actually a loaded G37 with all the options comes in at around 42K. If one was truly interested in owning a BMW for the sake of owning a BMW, one could get a CPO 328 for less than a CPO G37.

...and I don't find the interior of 3 series that much more impressive, Now when we start throwing Audi's into the equation, the outcome changes.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Having driven the G's, I dont' think I'd ever buy one. The interior is just cheap-feeling which would be a big thing for me to have to get past. Also, that V6 is quite loud and rough-sounding, which I don't think befits a car in it's price range. They are quite fast however...

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe

...and I don't find the interior of 3 series that much more impressive, Now when we start throwing Audi's into the equation, the outcome changes.

I would agree on this one. Though BMW makes a very ergonomic interior (with the exception of the iDrive nonsense) they just leave me cold. they're a bit too clinical to be truly welcoming imo. were it my $$$ I'd be all over the S4 (A4 if you want to save a bunch of $$).

all that in I'm still 335>G37 as i don't like the Infiniti's exterior styling. I'm sure it's a dream driver but "we eat with our eyes first." and I just don't think I'd be able to love the G. totally subjective though, obviously.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
Holy crap. You are correct. I just priced one up to 47K. Wow, who would be that stupid? Yes, you can get a base 328 with the faux leather -- leatherette -- which is not very nice. Pictures above do not lie.
Are you actually recommending the leatherette, after trashing a G37's interior? I personally find the fact that the offering of a leatherette interior in a $40+ automobile to be rather ridiculous.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what you're expecting out of the car. The 37 looks nice and has , what some consider, an attractive cockpit. But, the 335 is a much, much better car when it comes to overall performance.

The manual drive mode, in the automatics, actually moves and handles well. I have a 328 w/ X-drive and in manual mode, it's a fun drive. I'd love to see how that feels in a 335 or even better an M3.

jenlain

Reaction score
Test drove both and bought a 335xi. My primary reason was low-end torque, smoother throttle response, and much better steering feel resulting in a better driving experience.

The Infiniti was a very close second and if I had been focused on cost and value I would have chosen the Infiniti. I was intent on buying the best, not getting the best deal. I continue to be very satisfied. Get the sport package. Don't be tempted by the 328. Not even close.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Username79 Actually a loaded G37 with all the options comes in at around 42K. If one was truly interested in owning a BMW for the sake of owning a BMW, one could get a CPO 328 for less than a CPO G37. ...and I don't find the interior of 3 series that much more impressive, Now when we start throwing Audi's into the equation, the outcome changes.
People are buying loaded 2009 G37s (Prem, Sport, Navi) for $3500 under invoice right now. Around $34k I think. That's a steal.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
I would agree on this one. Though BMW makes a very ergonomic interior (with the exception of the iDrive nonsense) they just leave me cold. they're a bit too clinical to be truly welcoming imo. were it my $$$ I'd be all over the S4 (A4 if you want to save a bunch of $$).
I could never quite put my finger on a description of the 3 series interior, but IMO....you nailed it. Regardless, I'm still going to check it out, however I wouldn't quite rate the interior as heads above the G37, I prefer the Infiniti w/ the wood interior, but they're somewhat rare on the used market.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^Audi consistently does a great job with interiors throughout its line-up.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
^^^Audi consistently does a great job with interiors throughout its line-up.
Definately true, they are all very nice, however after seeing the interior of the A8, I'm not convinced there is a better looking interior in a car less than $100K.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
People are buying loaded 2009 G37s (Prem, Sport, Navi) for $3500 under invoice right now. Around $34k I think. That's a steal.
Do you know if the 34k is for the base model? Don't get me wrong, their base model is heavily loaded with goodies, i.e. VQ engine, leather, keyless push button start. However I was interested in a model with the moonroof and heated seats. The prices I saw at the dealer, might have been more on the steep side. I'm currently facing a dilemna, I was looking at an 08' G37, but the dealer called this very morning with a certified 07' G35 for 6 grand less, and all the options I wanted. I was really wanting to wait until the beginning of the year, but I'm findng myself somewhat impatient for no given reason. I still need to take a look at the competition, I've yet to drive the 3 series, and the only experience I have with the Lexus IS, is when I take my wife's car into the shop for service.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the 34k is for the base model? Don't get me wrong, their base model is heavily loaded with goodies, i.e. VQ engine, leather, keyless push button start. However I was interested in a model with the moonroof and heated seats. The prices I saw at the dealer, might have been more on the steep side. I'm currently facing a dilemna, I was looking at an 08' G37, but the dealer called this very morning with a certified 07' G35 for 6 grand less, and all the options I wanted. I was really wanting to wait until the beginning of the year, but I'm findng myself somewhat impatient for no given reason. I still need to take a look at the competition, I've yet to drive the 3 series, and the only experience I have with the Lexus IS, is when I take my wife's car into the shop for service.
Loaded, premium has the moon roof and navi. I'm referring to this thread here. See recent post about G37 AWD, premium, navi for $33.9k. MSRP $41.9k. Oh and trunk mats, tint, and stuff like that too
laugh.gif
Not freaking bad..

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
The financial benefit is that I can afford $400-500/month payments and not $800-1000/month payments. And like I said, the downpayment is a gift.
I guess you have a unique situation.
smile.gif
Looks like BMW.ca is charging 2.5 %lease interest on 3-series which is pretty good. Current US lease rates are between 5-6% and there is a $2500 rebate on 335. I don't think the rebate applies in Canada though. In US, a 335i sedan would lease for $500-$600 USD (36 month+10k miles per year) with no down payment. Not including taxes and inception fees. Looking at the BMW.ca site again it appears the fees are a little different than what we pay in US.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Opinions/first-hand accounts welcome. FWIW, insurance is a small consideration (i.e. if the insurance on one will be significantly less than the other).

How long do you plan to keep the car? Don't count on BMW for long term reliability. If you do get the BMW, buy the extended warranty.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
How long do you plan to keep the car? Don't count on BMW for long term reliability. If you do get the BMW, buy the extended warranty.

Good to know. Probably will have for 4 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads