• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peking Duck

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything better this time of year? A whole crispy duck is wheeled out on a cart and carved right at your table, then you are presented with crispy duck legs, breast, and wings, not to mention the crispy skin that has been extracted from the back. You are given chinese pancakes, plum sauce, carrots and spring onions, along with several varieties of hot sauce, to assemble the most delicious chinese duck "tacos."

Then, the cart is whisked off, but your server quickly resurfaces with not one, but two dishes made from the remaining bird: firstly, a delicious hot and sour duck soup made from the little bits and bones; and secondly, a duck fried rice with the remaining back meat. It is a terrific use of the whole bird.

Seriously, I can't think of a better meal I've had recently. Peking duck.
inlove.gif
Who else loves Peking duck?

Francis91

Reaction score
Are you in Chicago? Did you have this delicious meal at Sun Wah BBQ?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francis91

Ding. Ding. Ding. Indeed, so you know about this too? It was my first time there this weekend. Amazing.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My only full "Peking Duck" experience was in a place near Tiananmin Square in Bejing in about 1993. I was told that it was the most famous Peking Duck restaurant in Beijing, but I don't remember the name. Maybe some of our Chinese brethern on here can help me out.

Anyway it was just amazing. In addition to the parts you mentioned we had appetizers consisting of pickled duck feet and sliced duck stomach. My reaction was the same as yours. Every part of the duck but the "quack" gets served. Kinda like the American Indian and the buffalo, right?

Francis91

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
Ding. Ding. Ding. Indeed, so you know about this too? It was my first time there this weekend. Amazing.

Yes sir. That's one of my favorite places to eat in the area. So cheap and so good.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That sounds awesome. Ive never seen a "full use" meal like that before.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I object to the OP. Peking duck is delicious and wonderful ANY time of year. Why restrict it to only this time of year???

Also delicious is a duck egg omelet cooked in some of the duck fat.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sounds very good. I'll have to find this place in Chicago.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I object to the OP. Peking duck is delicious and wonderful ANY time of year. Why restrict it to only this time of year???

Also delicious is a duck egg omelet cooked in some of the duck fat.

Not restricted to this time of year, but it's a bit reminiscent of the Christmas Story with Christmas being next week. Also, while duck is enjoyable year-round, eating ***** duck is certainly better when it's 20 degrees vs. 100, no?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes sir. That's one of my favorite places to eat in the area. So cheap and so good.

I'm kinda pissed that it took me two years to find it. Ah well. At least I've found it.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
some places also fry the ribs to a crisp, and mince duck meat with some other stuff and you wrap in lettuce with a little hoisin sauce.

samus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
My only full "Peking Duck" experience was in a place near Tiananmin Square in Bejing in about 1993. I was told that it was the most famous Peking Duck restaurant in Beijing, but I don't remember the name. Maybe some of our Chinese brethern on here can help me out.

Anyway it was just amazing. In addition to the parts you mentioned we had appetizers consisting of pickled duck feet and sliced duck stomach. My reaction was the same as yours. Every part of the duck but the "quack" gets served. Kinda like the American Indian and the buffalo, right?

Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant? Little place in a hutong south of Tiananmen/Qianmen. Fantastic.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant? Little place in a hutong south of Tiananmen/Qianmen. Fantastic.

Probably right. I think it was south of TS. It seems like it was upstairs, but I may not be remembering properly. We had a fantastic waitress who had a very good sense of humor about the fact that I knew no Mandarin. I learned to say "Thank you" and she got a great kick out of hearing me say it after every course.

chronic

Reaction score
Anyone go to Peking Gourmet Inn in Falls Church, VA? It was George Bush Sr.'s favorite restaurant while he was in office. They serve a pretty damn good duck.

chronic

Reaction score
P.S. There's a lame duck joke in there somewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads