• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Facing

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an article in Forbes Life last night about french facing. Frankly, the article wasn't written very well; the author failed to clearly explain just exactly what french facing is. From context, I am guessing that French facing simply means that there is minimal lining and all of the interior seems and overlay (forgot the correct term for seam allowances) are finished, a la Oxxford. Am I correct?

The article also indicated that many french-faced garments do without a canvas. A local haberdasher once told me that Oxxford costs are un-canvassed but I never believed him b/c he is a con man.

Does Oxxford practice french facing? If so, are french-faced Oxxford coats made without a canvas?

Taxler

Reaction score
Usually refers to a double faced jacket; Parts of the inside are finished with another layer of exterior fabric rather than a lining. I have an Oxxford jacket done that way, and it's canvased.

The extra weight of fabric might reduce the need for a canvas, so it may/may-not have one.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So canvas is optional with french facing?

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Canvas is always optional.

Maybe I should have said "is interlining optionaL..."

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
I read an article in Forbes Life last night about french facing. Frankly, the article wasn't written very well; the author failed to clearly explain just exactly what french facing is. From context, I am guessing that French facing simply means that there is minimal lining and all of the interior seems and overlay (forgot the correct term for seam allowances) are finished, a la Oxxford. Am I correct?

The article also indicated that many french-faced garments do without a canvas. A local haberdasher once told me that Oxxford costs are un-canvassed but I never believed him b/c he is a con man.

Does Oxxford practice french facing? If so, are french-faced Oxxford coats made without a canvas?

I think that French facing could refer to two practices.

In both instances we are dealing with either half or quarter lining.

I heard the expression of French finishing refer to the finishing of the coat's center seam. A tape is sewn on the two edges of the center seam to cover the part of the seam that is folded-over. The color of the tape, which is lining material, is different from the coat's cloth. Generally, both the edge and the tape are machine sewn. It can be a nice touch.

Oxxford does not do this because it hand sewns each edge. If you flip-up the edge you will see a series of "X" stitches along the edge.

I have also heard French facing refer to the technique were coat cloth was used for the front interior lining rather than Bemberg. I have an Oxxford summer sportsocat with this facing. Generally, this is done only on summer cloths.

A French faced coat would have canvas in the chest, lapels, collar, and front in order to give the coat shape. Even a summer coat would have canvas. Otherwise, the coat would be as limp as a shirt.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, French facing implies a tape sewn to finish the inside seams, mostly seen with partial/non lined coats/pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads