• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Events and PSA thread

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't see this until now. I think there are some individuals here who are called Arthur, Arthur BS that's who.

I bought a scarf weeks ago as a wedding gift. She charges very reasonable shipping internationally and is forthright in all her business dealings. I cannot believe people would doubt her integrity. Who would want to fake a Begg scarf complete with tags and bags in the place where it originates.

QFT
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Really? Who the heck would make fake Begg?
Begg makes names for many bigger brands than themselves. If people were to fake it, they would have put Hermes or some names on it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
while i won't apologize for asking for an authenticity check, i do regret that this seems to have hurt an apparently honest seller. thanks also to FIHTies for making the effort to ID

now that the question has been cleared up, i have pulled the trigger on the scarf i had my eye on, and am looking forward to receiving it. snorky, i'm sorry that things got all screwed up for you and your wife.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
Begg makes names for many bigger brands than themselves. If people were to fake it, they would have put Hermes or some names on it.

I too feel bad for the seller, but people will fake anything. Not long ago I saw fake Canali -- and badly faked Canali at that. If the scammer knew the difficulty I've had selling legit Canali at a deep discount, I doubt he would have bothered. Might as well have faked a used Oxxford.

Some of the scammers are very good, but I imagine many have only a cursory knowledge of what they're faking. If an item's expensive enough, it will probably get counterfeited sooner or later.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
If an item's expensive enough, it will probably get counterfeited sooner or later.

I recently started seeing fake Tod's shoes from China. For example:

Fake Tods

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
(and how were they supposed to answer if it was legitimate without a link?)

Hmmm...maybe just email them a picture and ask them if it's legit because even with your intimate knowledge of Begg you've never seen one of their scarves labeled like that.

Originally Posted by winston
Crush the little guys. Crush!!! Them!!!

Lazy? It sounds like she's just a housewife trying to make a bit of cash on the side through the good fortune of living in close proximity to Begg.

Yes, this. After reading this thread I just can't help feeling this way.

Originally Posted by FIHTies
Whatever.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
This woman is trying to flip a product behind Begg's back, undermining their retail operation, they find out, and we're supposed to feel sorry? Don't be a bunch of entitled morons.
This coming from the guy who wears a 5k watch who started a thread about applying for food stamps as he was going back for further higher education and who justified it by essentially saying 'I pay taxes, dammit so I deserve them'? Rich man. Real rich.
worship2.gif

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will there be any potential proxy sellers hereabouts?...

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread deserves consideration for the "small timer" Hall of Fame.

Just pathetic.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I too feel bad for the seller, but people will fake anything. Not long ago I saw fake Canali -- and badly faked Canali at that. If the scammer knew the difficulty I've had selling legit Canali at a deep discount, I doubt he would have bothered. Might as well have faked a used Oxxford.

Some of the scammers are very good, but I imagine many have only a cursory knowledge of what they're faking. If an item's expensive enough, it will probably get counterfeited sooner or later.

I bought a fake Belvest once on ebay. I wouldn't have expected the line to ever be faked, but c'est la vie.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
This thread deserves consideration for the "small timer" Hall of Fame.

Just pathetic.

I'm replying to your post to keep thread bumped.

Originally Posted by chorse123
I bought a fake Belvest once on ebay. I wouldn't have expected the line to ever be faked, but c'est la vie.

Keep a careful inventory of your Yount labels. Don't let any escape.

- B

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
Crush the little guys. Crush!!! Them!!!

Lazy? It sounds like she's just a housewife trying to make a bit of cash on the side through the good fortune of living in close proximity to Begg.

You completely misunderstood my post.

I have absolutely no problem with making a few extra bucks on the side while that option is available. However, "a few extra bucks on the side" is always going to be a lazy business." I have a 9-5 job and do resale on the side... I do it the lazy way (going to a store with a sale, buying crap, taking pictures, listing on eBay, shipping... very lazy compared to becoming a legitimate discount retailer) and am not afraid to admit that. Also, if you do not have an account with a company then you should not be acting as a dealer for that company without the expectation that you could be shut down at any time.

My only problem with any of this is that people would complain because she got shut down and then place the blame on anyone but her.

I personally feel it's a non-issue and the only reason people are acting like they care that she got shut down is one of two things: 1) they're empathizing with her because her husband came on and whined about it, 2) a luxury item once scarcely discounted worldwide is once again scarcely discounted worldwide

illeagle

Reaction score
I never doubt that anything may be fake.

If there is a market willing to pay for it then selling fakes on eBay is worth it to counterfeiters.

The only way you can know for 99.9% sure if something is not fake is from experience with that brand. However, I don't think people had that assurance about Begg considering it took someone contacting Begg directly to confirm.

Nescio

Reaction score
Anyone know when Solito/Ambrosi are returning to NYC?
Solito mentioned December 09 last time he was here.

Arkolm

Reaction score
I'm glad these were authenticated, and I see no issue with resaling goods on the side. Also, I wouldn't really be amazed if they do nothing to prevent her from doing this again if she actually wanted to try. Those who got them; enjoy them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads