• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I add a breast welt pocket to an overcoat?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bubuchnik
Hey guys, I was wondering what shoes would go with black jeans?

Black leather/suede boots/shoes/chelseas. Never brown, never white!

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omniphile
I am 20 years old, 5'4 1/2" and 117 lbs. Next summer I will be plummeting full-throttle into the workforce. Until now I've been able to slouch around in t-shirts and baggy cargo pants, but when I start looking at business wear I have a difficult time finding off the rack stuff that is even remotely my size. Does anyone have a recommendation, or should I just save up for made to measure?

If you have a Zara in your town, they might have something in our size.

Alternatively, try indochino or thickasthieves mtm online.

If you're close to a city with a large asian population, visit the asian men's stores. Your build is fairly typical in asia.

Bubuchnik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose

Is there any other colour other than black that i can wear cause when i wear a black coat it'll look quite omnious?

CashmereLover

Reaction score

wetnose, and everyone, why is it that bad to combine brown shoes with black pants or the reversed composition? I wear it sometimes, knowing that some people dislike it, but I think it's rather stylish.

EDIT: By the way, my opinion applies mainly to black jeans (which I don't wear) and corduroys (which I love), not formal pants. With formal (even slacks) black pants I wouldn't be equally comfortable with brown shoes.

ajv

Reaction score

Don't know where that rule comes from, but I'm happy not to follow it. I think the only time when black shoes are a must is when wearing a tuxedo, or if one works in the City.

Adrian

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Is this Ralph Lauren sweater I bought on eBay legit? The first picture below shows a close-up of the tag. The second picture below shows what should be the identical sweater sold here on StyleForum a while ago in this thread. Notice the difference in the tags? The one I bought on eBay has a script-y font, whereas the sweater sold here on SF have a plain font? Can anyone explain this to me?
L3Byk.jpg
XMD19.jpg

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bubuchnik
Is there any other colour other than black that i can wear cause when i wear a black coat it'll look quite omnious?

I think you can safely ignore wetnose, brown suede and black jeans is a fine combo, I would avoid the white shoes. Also Maison Martin Margelia makes some nice grey leather shoes and boots, those would look really nice with black jeans.

Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Is this Ralph Lauren sweater I bought on eBay legit? The first picture below shows a close-up of the tag. The second picture below shows what should be the identical sweater sold here on StyleForum a while ago in this thread. Notice the difference in the tags? The one I bought on eBay has a script-y font, whereas the sweater sold here on SF have a plain font? Can anyone explain this to me?

The sweaters are probably just from different seasons. Unless you paid like $12 for your ebay purchase, then it's probably fake.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prurient
I bought this suit on Sunday and realized there are no sleeves buttons. Scott Sternberg stylistic choice or what? http://www.southwillard.com/collecti...of-wales-suit/ What shirt should I wear it with?
No, the sleeves were just left unfinished, a not uncommon practice on higher-end suits. The buttons are usually included in a pocket somewhere and intended to be sewn onto the sleeve after an alterations tailor has adjusted it to its appropriate length. What to wear it with? Same thing you'd wear with any charcoal suit -- white, light blue, ecru, pink, etc.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I normally don't post this side of town but I recently got a pair of Alden 907's from eBay and there's something odd about them. The shoes themself are in good condition, light creasing, moderate wear on the sole, no noticeable wear to the uppers.

The oddity however that I've noticed is that the heel doesn't seem to lay flush with the toe front, this is noticeable when the shoe is laid flat on the ground - on a 90 degree angle you can see the a triangle of space going from the front of the heel to the back of the hell where it should be touching the floor, whilst the toe front touches it nicely, then if you push on the heel the heel becomes flush with the ground where the triangle of space used to be and the toe of the shoe starts to hover about 3/4 cm from the ground. This is particularly annoying in that when you are standing, it is easy to shift your centre of gravity a bit which causes the shoe to 'rock' as mentioned above.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm also wondering if a cobbler can fix this, if it is indeed a problem and not just a weird design choice or something.

Pawz

Reaction score
Hello. Not clothing related, but I'm hoping some kind soul will be bothered into helping me.

Is there a means of using Ad Block to hide the ads on this site without also hiding the quick-reply buttons? What I know about computers could be written on a postage stamp so please. Speak. Slowly. Thanx!

P.S., It might be easier to send me a note rather than reply here, though it matters not to be (I'm just grateful for any help at all).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads