• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
As is gobs of torque down low from ported head, headers, cam, exhaust and ra1s on the street.

Robes of Executiveness

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
For my needs (and my wallet's needs), a normal manual transmission suits me fine.
That's the other point, less complicated, easier to fix/upgrade(older Audi suto can't handle much above 350/400ftlb for people who go stage 3 with the twin turbo), and no damn routine fluid changes. Lifetime fluid ******.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More techno-nerdery if anyone's interested:

shiftz.jpg

I was curious how long a nice-to-the-car upshift took and looked at some data I recorded at Infineon (AKA Sears Point) on the front straight right after the hairpin. Car is a Porsche Cayman with a 5-speed gearbox, accelerating out of the hairpin in 2nd gear that you can see on the left side where the speed dips down to around 30 MPH.

The flat part of the curve is the shift from 2nd to 3rd. It's about 100 feet long, and since I was traveling at about 65 MPH, or 95 feet per second, it took around 1 second to upshift, if you wanted to be nice to the gearbox.

Corvettes rock, especially the C6 Z06. The ZR-1 is just sick. Either car will comfortably hang with the fastest European cars on a racetrack.

--Andre

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome stuff. I wish they had tracks here that were open to the public.

I think Griggs Racing used to be based near Infineon. They turn Mustangs into something fierce, or so I've heard. Have you seen them running around there?

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I love my m3 and the only thing I could ever imagine replacing it with is a gt3/gt2. Having said that I have a tremendous amount of respect for vettes as any true auto enthusiast would. Sure the interior is garbage but I would replace the ****** steering wheel and who really cares when 2nd gear goes past 85. It was insanely fun to drive, never thought I'd say that. Badge snobs need not apply. It was manual too btw
lol8[1].gif

Funny part about this is you don't even own an M3.

Koskesh.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
I like Corvettes, and all other high-powered American muscle cars, because they don't seem to take themselves seriously. Yes the interiors are terrible and yes they aren't the most sophisticated but they are fun to look at, fun to listen to, and fun to drive.

This has been the most intelligent post in this thread since 30 posts back.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome stuff. I wish they had tracks here that were open to the public.

I think Griggs Racing used to be based near Infineon. They turn Mustangs into something fierce, or so I've heard. Have you seen them running around there?

Recently, it seems like Infineon is all Audi all the time. Audi I think has some kind of performance driving school there. A while ago there was even a small fleet of R8s parked there.

--Andre

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Corvettes, and all other high-powered American muscle cars, because they don't seem to take themselves seriously. Yes the interiors are terrible and yes they aren't the most sophisticated but they are fun to look at, fun to listen to, and fun to drive. The M3 has awesome power and it looks great, but I can't get infatuated with it the way I can with a muscle car, because there's no way they'll make one in Grabber Blue with huge LeMans stripes. It needs to learn how to laugh at itself. But that's just me I guess. This is a personal viewpoint, and I'm not trying to say it's the only right one in the world.
Agreed, muscle cars are actually loads of fun, it's a rather different fun then say a Miata, but still fun all the same
(if equiped with the right engine).

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Recently, it seems like Infineon is all Audi all the time. Audi I think has some kind of performance driving school there. A while ago there was even a small fleet of R8s parked there.

The Audi Sportscar Experience is held there. I've been trying to decide whether to go there next year, or try the Porsche school.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Finished lease negotiations today. I'm very happy. I had let him give me a lease price when we ordered the vehicle, and I did not object much, as it was at invoice. Today, he started doing the paperwork and I told him we'd not finished negotiating the price. I reminded him I really wanted Barolo Red, but that was the one colour the dealership would not refund my deposit on (for some reason, they are convinced red Mercedes are hard to sell). I also reminded him they had been willing to give me invoice when we were trying to dealer trade. That would have cost them $7-900 to ship from another dealership, might have "floor plan" costs, etc. So I told him, given all this, I needed another $100/month off the price. I got another $60, which in leasing terms, is about 2k of cap cost. So I got it at 2k under invoice, with a .00124 money factor. I'm pretty ******* pleased
smile.gif

Best news, vehicle was built ahead of schedule and is being shipped now. There's an off chance I might get it Saturday.
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Finished lease negotiations today. I'm very happy. I had let him give me a lease price when we ordered the vehicle, and I did not object much, as it was at invoice. Today, he started doing the paperwork and I told him we'd not finished negotiating the price. I reminded him I really wanted Barolo Red, but that was the one colour the dealership would not refund my deposit on (for some reason, they are convinced red Mercedes are hard to sell). I also reminded him they had been willing to give me invoice when we were trying to dealer trade. That would have cost them $7-900 to ship from another dealership, might have "floor plan" costs, etc. So I told him, given all this, I needed another $100/month off the price. I got another $60, which in leasing terms, is about 2k of cap cost. So I got it at 2k under invoice, with a .00124 money factor. I'm pretty ******* pleased
smile.gif

Best news, vehicle was built ahead of schedule and is being shipped now. There's an off chance I might get it Saturday.
smile.gif

Sounds terrific, and just in time for the holidays. Looking forward to the pics.

ksteryous

Reaction score
So I got it at 2k under invoice, with a .00124 money factor.
Just got on this thread, so I missed what kind of car you're getting, but I am also shopping around and thinking of leasing, and just starting to learn about the money factor. .00124 seems pretty awesome, did you have to negotiate that, and does it differ from place to place? I'm shopping around for a BMW 328i, and trying to get all my ducks in a row before I go in. Edit: Just re-read and saw Mercedes....which one?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ksteryous
Just got on this thread, so I missed what kind of car you're getting, but I am also shopping around and thinking of leasing, and just starting to learn about the money factor. .00124 seems pretty awesome, did you have to negotiate that, and does it differ from place to place? I'm shopping around for a BMW 328i, and trying to get all my ducks in a row before I go in.

Edit: Just re-read and saw Mercedes....which one?

My new ride is a GL450.

As to money factor, it is often subsidized and determined by the car maker, i.e. I'm using MB Finance and they dictated the terms of the lease program. The trick is, to find out the residual and money factor, so you can work the lease formula yourself. You can find these by doing websearches. My money factor is an equivalent of 2.97% interest. You multiply the money factor by 2400. Ask your salesman what the interest rate is. He'll say, "There's no interest rate. We use a money factor." Get the money factor and multiply by 2400. Rover was over a 9% interest rate when I was shopping!

Pawz

Reaction score
I'm 28 years old and have never driven a vehicle of any kind in my life. Some friends, who recently discovered this, are insisting I learn, though I really haven't a need (my workplace, store, and all are within walking distance). Meh.

When (not 'if' seeing as I've no longer a choice in the matter) I buy a car, I'll buy something insane and impractical that I'll never use and on the cheap. XD Maybe an old school bus or somesuch. XD

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished lease negotiations today. I'm very happy. .... So I got it at 2k under invoice, with a .00124 money factor. I'm pretty ******* pleased
smile.gif
smile.gif

Looks like you got a great deal. Enjoy your new ride.
cheers.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads