• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

SashaV

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rcbuffett
I have recently purchased a variety of Lands' End tailored/slim fit shirts to test them out:

Hyde Park Oxford Cloth -
Its not available in non-iron. It is a heavy Suprima Cotton fabric. It comes out of the dryer just as well as a Polo RL Oxford buttondown.

Oxford and Pinpoint Non- Iron Tailored Fit
It comes out decent, nice fit. The oxford seems to hold up much better. The pinpoint I have is which, and the wrinkles can be noticable. You can't dry them the whole way, I usually pull out when 1/4 damp to let dry on a hanger. The creases stay nice, but the collar does roll.

In general...
Lands' End cheaps out on the details, such as the buttons, which had loose excess threads which I cut off. I also don't like that the care tag is on the front of the tails. It should be located on the side near the waist.

For the price, and the 100% refund it can't be beat. I also bought a down vest for $50 which is very nice and fits well. I am a tall guy and like that Lands' End has a Tall size, which is longer in the tails (in addition to the sleeves). My Polo RL oxfords have shrunken slightly, making them harder and harder to tuck in. That's after 4 years of wearing though!

Totally agree on the care tag, mainly because i wear the oxfords as a sport shirt, not tucked. But yeah I personally love the shirts, not the slimmest like h&m easy iron's, but great value.

dunelly

Reaction score
can someone summarize the major brands by pricepoint?
This thread is so damn long and most of the brands are 100+ a shirt.

Land's end pricepoint appeal to me, are all their casual plaid shirts slim fitting?

SodaPop

Reaction score
New company, 5th & Lamar, seems to specialize in slim fit shirts. I was pretty happy with the shirt I ordered, it had a super slim fit waist as advertised, but be warned -- their collars tend to be a little big... Surprisingly low price though (~$50), so i guess they have their pros and cons.

check em out here -- http://www.5thandlamar.com/

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SodaPop
New company, 5th & Lamar, seems to specialize in slim fit shirts. I was pretty happy with the shirt I ordered, it had a super slim fit waist as advertised, but be warned -- their collars tend to be a little big... Surprisingly low price though (~$50), so i guess they have their pros and cons.

check em out here -- http://www.5thandlamar.com/

spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif
spam[1].gif

Dillardiv

Reaction score
Is there any possibility of having a shirt slightly shortened? It fits well, just a tad too long. Advice?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dillardiv
Is there any possibility of having a shirt slightly shortened? It fits well, just a tad too long. Advice?

Easy, as your tailor to do it, probably cost around $10 or so. But since you would tuck it in anyway, why need to worry about it?

Jilldame

Reaction score
My best luck with slim fit shirts has been H&M and Express. But Express doesn't have as a good a selection. H&M is much better made than people realize, and the shirts are a really good fit. I recomend them highly.

I also fit it hard to find slim tees. Urban outfitters has some, but I wish I could fit a brand that just always does it. Some smaller t brands do like johney cupcakes and FFTB.

minch

Reaction score
FWIW, I find the Harvie and Hudson slim fits much slimmer than the TM Lewin and Gieves and Hawkes slim fits.

They have the slimness built into the side seams with high arm holes. The other two use darts to take away some fullness but it doesn't seem as effective.

minch

Reaction score
Forgot to say, quality wise i'd put H&H a little above TM and TM a bit more above G&H.

Atwigman

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster here.

I've been reading up on this thread, since I too have problem finding slim-fit shirt that fits well.
Could someone elaborate a little more on how land's end tailored fit taper down toward the waistline?

I am 38 chest, 30 waist, and have 17.5 shoulder. I'm not much of a muscular build but I have a broad shoulder, so I find a lot of the slim-fit shirt to be too tight around the shoulder
frown.gif

(or too baggy around my stomach if I size up)

Bahir

Reaction score
My TM Lewin slim-fit shirt arrived yesterday, and sadly, it was not that slim: too much extra fabric around the torso and arms; and I'm still a fairly muscular man. The ties I also bought were superb though.

refinery

Reaction score
I am still on the search for the perfect sub 100 preferably dollar slim fit shirt.

The biggest problem I have is the waist. Every time I tuck it in, it just looks poofy and just plain ugly. I do have an Express 1MX shirt with darts in the back. It fixes it a lot. But I don't wanna spend money putting darts on all of my shirts, which are not that expensive anyways.

What is a shirt/are some shirts that are slimmest at the waist that are OTR (not MTM preferably)?

tenqomasacote

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jilldame
I also fit it hard to find slim tees. Urban outfitters has some, but I wish I could fit a brand that just always does it. Some smaller t brands do like johney cupcakes and FFTB.

Try Alternative Apparel, amazing quality and the consistently the most soft.

ALP1530

Reaction score
I'm actually interested in the definitive guide to regular fitting shirts for those of us who are no longer (or never were) slim. I find that Isaia, for example, fit me quite well; Etro is a bit snug but still fits; and that Truzzi fits quite well. I am interested in other higher end dress shirts that have a little more room than those made for slim fit.

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads