• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the 'athletic' size?

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
david3g.jpg

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rosenberg
disagree. this is pretty much a bodybuilder look. not necessarily an athletic look

Yeah, actually this would be true. There's actually some extremely athletic guys that only have about a 4" drop but can run a 25 mile marathon haha.

I was thinking more aesthetically pleasing.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I think about an 8 or 9 inch drop looks best, depending on height. Short guys with 12"+ drops always look kind of weird to me.

jwied82

Reaction score
so drop is just the difference between chest circumference and waist circumference? Id seen it mentioned in several threads here but didnt know what it meant.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Personally I think about an 8 or 9 inch drop looks best, depending on height. Short guys with 12"+ drops always look kind of weird to me.

Short guys maybe....idk, Frank Zane imo has one of the best physiques in my opinion. He was 5'9 and had 50" chest and 29" waist competition time some years. that's a TWENTY ONE INCH drop. Not to **** this thread up at all but:

318987994.jpg

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude looks great like that, but for the purpose of filling out a suit (or even casual clothes), I feel he'd look awkward. His 21" drop is, nevertheless, pretty impressive.

Hangdog

Reaction score
I'll stop doing weighted pull-ups and just run long distance followed by some light calisthenics, then. Wouldn't want to look "awkward".

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 seems to be a nice drop for those around average height, it's all relative however.

zoorado

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hangdog
I'll stop doing weighted pull-ups and just run long distance followed by some light calisthenics, then. Wouldn't want to look "awkward".

Ha. I've been doing weighted pullups for some time. Now working on weighted one-arm pulls. Can't imagine getting Frank Zane's drop though. I'm probably genetically limited. That dude's waist can't possibly be 29", unless by waist you mean his pelvic girth.

I see more athlecism in long distance runners (and professionals in just about any other sports) than I do in bodybuilders.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
Short guys maybe....idk, Frank Zane imo has one of the best physiques in my opinion. He was 5'9 and had 50" chest and 29" waist competition time some years. that's a TWENTY ONE INCH drop. Not to **** this thread up at all but:

bananapic.jpg

That's not athletic looking... its impressive, but I would never want that physique.

There's a big difference between athleticism and fitness, but the line is blurred.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaydc7
That's not athletic looking... its impressive, but I would never want that physique.

There's a big difference between athleticism and fitness, but the line is blurred.

That is definitely true. There are competition cyclists I know that are 5% bodyfat...yet bodybuilders I know at 8% bodyfat look more ripped than them. One could even argue that athleticism goes hand in hand with cardiovascular endurance.

One could ALSO argue that it's just raw talent. Professional lineman aren't athletic 'looking' but are amazing athletes.

I guess I sort of contradicted myself in this thread.
confused.gif

Hangdog

Reaction score
I think some of you are totally off your mark when you clamor about the lack of athleticism in bodybuilders. 275lb. modern roid monsters are one thing, but Marvin Eder, Steve Reeves and Reg Park were nothing if not VERY athletic. Mavin Eder could hold an iron cross.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hangdog
I think some of you are totally off your mark when you clamor about the lack of athleticism in bodybuilders. 275lb. modern roid monsters are one thing, but Marvin Eder, Steve Reeves and Reg Park were nothing if not VERY athletic. Mavin Eder could hold an iron cross.

yeah, i see that as a major difference between old and new generations of bodybuilders. the guys today walk on stage at 290, but back then (forgive me, i can't think of his name) could do backflips holding like 30lb dumbbells or something like that. lots of the oldschool guys had some really athletic trick they could do

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
That is definitely true. There are competition cyclists I know that are 5% bodyfat...yet bodybuilders I know at 8% bodyfat look more ripped than them. One could even argue that athleticism goes hand in hand with cardiovascular endurance.

One could ALSO argue that it's just raw talent. Professional lineman aren't athletic 'looking' but are amazing athletes.

I guess I sort of contradicted myself in this thread.
confused.gif

contradiction or not, you're right. you can't judge someone's athleticism by their looks

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^ good point:
BJPenn1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics