• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Events and PSA thread

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IndianBoyz
Yes you got me there for real. But I have not contacted the company so don't blame me for your loss.

I hadn't planned on bidding or buying any of the scarves, so it's really no loss to me either way. I just feel badly for the seller and felt that the harsh criticism (hence the "stone-thrower" assertion) was unjustified prior to any concrete evidence being brought forward. FIH was also more than a bit clumsy in bring the evidence to Begg. As others have said, this could have been done with greater confidentiality and more subtly; anyone in business could have guessed at some of the potential outcomes...

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I hadn't planned on bidding or buying any of the scarves, so it's really no loss to me either way. I just feel badly for the seller and felt that the harsh criticism (hence the "stone-thrower" assertion) was unjustified prior to any concrete evidence being brought forward. FIH was also more than a bit clumsy in bring the evidence to Begg. As others have said, this could have been done with greater confidentiality and more subtly; anyone in business could have guessed at some of the potential outcomes...

I don't wear scarves, so I don't have a horse in the race, but I'm surprised no one here has stood up for Begg. They apparently sell a high quality product made of scottish cashmere, which if I understand all of the recent cashmere threads, is hard to come by and something to be appreciated as it is becoming more and more marginalized by low quality cashmere worldwide. Products sold at their factory store are not meant to be re-sold worldwide on eBay for a profit, thus undercutting legitimate Begg (like the kind that I'm guessing FIH sells - haven't looked). Everyone is jumping to protect this eBay merchant, but frankly she's just capitalizing off outlet priced arbitrage (like that armyhardhat Brooks Brothers guy that everyone talks about).

If she wants to work out a deal with Begg where she runs their online outlet store in exchange for a commission or profit share than she should do so, but she does not have an absolute right to clean out their factory store at a discount and then re-sell worldwide at a profit.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIH has a legitimate account with Begg and has every right to be concerned about knockoffs, because they cut into his bottom line. He was also acting responsibly by being transparent with a company with which he transacts. Begg is right not to want their product on ebay because it undermines their ability to sell to legit accounts like FIH.

This woman is trying to flip a product behind Begg's back, undermining their retail operation, they find out, and we're supposed to feel sorry? Don't be a bunch of entitled morons.

randob300

Reaction score
I have no problem with a middleman (or in this case, a middlewoman) trying to make a few bucks by selling products online. However, I also don't have a problem with a small company protecting its bottom-line and reputation/integrity by trying to limit the sale of its products though unofficial means via the internet.

Can Begg legally do anything about it since the eBayer isn’t claiming any connection? Maybe a lawyer could answer that, but I suspect there isn’t much they can do except try to make life difficult for her. She’s not an innocent victim here; she’s trying to make a profit by being a middleman and is crying foul when it isn’t as easy as she thinks it should be.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
Not sure why some people on here are getting angry at some unidentified "stone-throwing" posters.

There were well-reasoned skeptics, and well-reasoned advocates. That's it.

I was one of the people who reasoned that they were unlikely to be fakes; other reasoned NOT that they were, but that they COULD be.

And why can't she sell elsewhere? She can go to the factory, purchase as many as she wants, and do whatever the hell she pleases.

Read again, this time with some attention.
Begg won't sell her, the same happened some time ago with a guy trying to sell Barker Black shoes and, if I remember well, with some others trying to resell John Lobb.
Companies don't like brand dilution through eBay (or do they want to keep control over selling channels?)

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Read again, this time with some attention.
Begg won't sell her, the same happened some time ago with a guy trying to sell Barker Black shoes and, if I remember well, with some others trying to resell John Lobb.
Companies don't like brand dilution through eBay (or do they want to keep control over selling channels?)

Yes, yes, I know. The part about them refusing to sell to her didn't register.

illeagle

Reaction score
Hilarious reaction on this thread. Some people have a real sense of entitlement and "holier than thou"ness on this board.

The woman is running a business in a lazy fashion. She buys stuff from the factory outlet and she re-sells it online. I have done second hand resale and discount store resale, but I do that with the full expectation that one day it could end for any multitude of reasons. Begg has every right to cut her off and she should expect that. It's unbelievable how easily some of you are catching feelings because her husband came on here and whined about the situation. It's a BUSINESS, people.

And people are absolutely ludicrous for blaming FIHTies... it's an incredible juxtaposition actually. He legitimately sells Begg and she does it the lazy way, and yet people are blaming him for his concern that someone may be selling fakes. It turns out that she's selling real ones, but, nonetheless, she's hurting his bottom line.

So, the majority of you are blaming someone for seeking an ultimate decision on whether these are fakes or not since no one knew for sure. The majority of you are blaming Begg for stopping someone from undercutting them. The majority of you are empathizing with a woman you don't know for not being able to handle her business without letting her and her husband's emotions get in the way. Waaaaaah.

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
Hilarious reaction on this thread. Some people have a real sense of entitlement and "holier than thou"ness on this board. The woman is running a business in a lazy fashion. She buys stuff from the factory outlet and she re-sells it online. I have done second hand resale and discount store resale, but I do that with the full expectation that one day it could end for any multitude of reasons. Begg has every right to cut her off and she should expect that. It's unbelievable how easily some of you are catching feelings because her husband came on here and whined about the situation. It's a BUSINESS, people. And people are absolutely ludicrous for blaming FIHTies... it's an incredible juxtaposition actually. He legitimately sells Begg and she does it the lazy way, and yet people are blaming him for his concern that someone may be selling fakes. It turns out that she's selling real ones, but, nonetheless, she's hurting his bottom line. So, the majority of you are blaming someone for seeking an ultimate decision on whether these are fakes or not since no one knew for sure. The majority of you are blaming Begg for stopping someone from undercutting them. The majority of you are empathizing with a woman you don't know for not being able to handle her business without letting her and her husband's emotions get in the way. Waaaaaah.
+1 x 1000 i'm glad people went to the lengths that they did. its what makes us the great aware buyers that we are

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by illeagle
Hilarious reaction on this thread. Some people have a real sense of entitlement and "holier than thou"ness on this board.

The woman is running a business in a lazy fashion. She buys stuff from the factory outlet and she re-sells it online. I have done second hand resale and discount store resale, but I do that with the full expectation that one day it could end for any multitude of reasons. Begg has every right to cut her off and she should expect that. It's unbelievable how easily some of you are catching feelings because her husband came on here and whined about the situation. It's a BUSINESS, people.

And people are absolutely ludicrous for blaming FIHTies... it's an incredible juxtaposition actually. He legitimately sells Begg and she does it the lazy way, and yet people are blaming him for his concern that someone may be selling fakes. It turns out that she's selling real ones, but, nonetheless, she's hurting his bottom line.

So, the majority of you are blaming someone for seeking an ultimate decision on whether these are fakes or not since no one knew for sure. The majority of you are blaming Begg for stopping someone from undercutting them. The majority of you are empathizing with a woman you don't know for not being able to handle her business without letting her and her husband's emotions get in the way. Waaaaaah.

By your logic then, the entire B&S forum should be shut down.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I decided not to wear a scarf today in a mute show of solidarity with all my brethren who have toiled in this thread.

The battle? Lost. The war? Love is not a victory march.

- B

illeagle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
By your logic then, the entire B&S forum should be shut down.

My logic? What's my logic exactly? Where did I state that anything should be shut down?

I even said I do resale myself, but I expect that any source could get shut off for me for any multitude of reasons -- as anyone doing it should expect. Try reading before hitting that reply button next time.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I decided not to wear a scarf today in a mute show of solidarity with all my brethren who have toiled in this thread.

The battle? Lost. The war? Love is not a victory march.

- B

It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah...

LaoHu

Reaction score
Well baby I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew ya
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

-Jeff Buckley

Jack2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
Well baby I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew ya
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

-Jeff Buckley

No, Leonard Cohen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads