• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Old Guys threak

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a party line and a B&W TV.

Old guys still kicking ass:

actor,black,and,white,clint,eastwood,b,w,faces,movies-7bf858b28a100fb1ef0c092b81450077_h.jpg
MV5BMTAwNDk5Mjc2OTJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDM2Nzk2Nw@@._V1._SX408_SY400_.jpg
Antiques%20-%20Yoda.jpg

lefty

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by Bradford
Do you remember when TV didn't have reality shows, but it did have Variety Shows?
Originally Posted by Bradford
The Smothers Brothers Show
The Carol Burnett Show
The Donny and Marie Show
The Captain and Tennille Show
Why doesn't someone revive the variety show format?
Reread your list and you've got your answer.
I remember when you had to shake the milk bottle. Oooo, that links to another: when milk came in bottles. Ooooo and another: when a guy actually brought the bottles to your door. And another: when we actually had doors. (Scratch that last one; I gets carried away sometimes.)​

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
When I was a kid there were three TV networks broadcasting nationally. On our rabbit-eared, b&w TV we got ABC on channel 12, NBC on channel 7, and CBS on channel 9. That was it, although we got ABC on a fourth channel as well because we lived close enough to pick up another affiliate's signal. It took a minute or so for the TV to warm up, and when you turned it off the picture would shrink down to a little dot, which then fizzled out. When remotes came out my father scoffed, saying that he'd never be too lazy to walk across the room to change the channel.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread Mr. Checks!

I am torn about nostalgia: I still have all my Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars. I still have both a teddy bear and a sock monkey that were mine when I was essentially a newborn! I've saved these and many other trinkets from my childhood. I certainly will never sell them.

They give me comfort, I suppose. But I don't find myself pining for the "good old days" as I very much enjoy the gadgetry of today: I love my CrackBerry, my MBPro, etc. I can't imagine going back.

Jonny Quest was the best, btw.

edit: I still remember when we got our first television. My parents scrimped and saved for months and finally bought a set. Not a month after it had been delivered, the Railway Express truck brought a big crate to our door, and when it was opened we found another television! Seems my dad's parents weren't aware we'd joined the tv generation and sent one to us. My father was so pissed he nearly crated the new one up and had it sent back.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
You honestly remember these shows? Wasn't the Smothers Brothers over by the late 60s?

The original Smothers Brothers Show was cancelled in 1969, but they were back on the air briefly in 1975. Plus, my dad had their albums and I listened to them quite often as a child.

Dburr

Reaction score
Didn't have a tv till I was 12. Before that we gathered around the radio for Amos n' Andy, Fiibre McGee and Molly, Jack Benny, the incredible Mr. Keen who had the ability to cloud mens minds and make himself invisible, Gunsmoke, Yours Truly Johnny Dollar, and of course, the Green Hornet, Batman, Supermen, and myriads of others.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
You honestly remember these shows? Wasn't the Smothers Brothers over by the late 60s?

I definitely remember them from when I was a kid.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nice thread, Checks!

Serious entertainment: Rat Patrol, Combat, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Funny stuff: Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, F-Troop, etc.

Real G.I. Joes. Playing outside after school until it got dark. Knowing the floor plans & hiding places for 90% of the houses on your block. Riding bikes all day in the summer w/ no helmets. Hitchhiking. Neighborhood cookouts.

Will remember (hopefully) others....

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Nice thread, Checks!

Serious entertainment: Rat Patrol, Combat, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Funny stuff: Gilligan's Island, McHale's Navy, F-Troop, etc.

Real G.I. Joes. Playing outside after school until it got dark. Knowing the floor plans & hiding places for 90% of the houses on your block. Riding bikes all day in the summer w/ no helmets. Hitchhiking. Neighborhood cookouts.

Will remember (hopefully) others....

+1 to all, though I refuse to post in a thread devoted to Old Guys....

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Nice thread, Checks!

Yes, yes, yes.... those were great programs! Time Tunnel was a major mind-**** to an 11-year-old!

Playing outside after school until it got dark. Knowing the floor plans & hiding places for 90% of the houses on your block. Riding bikes all day in the summer w/ no helmets. Hitchhiking. Neighborhood cookouts.
Yes, again.
What ever happened to all this?

My ex-wife and I were talking about this the other day. She maintains it is "more dangerous" today than it was when we were kids, but I disagree. I think there were just as many perverts then.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
.... Yes, again. What ever happened to all this? My ex-wife and I were talking about this the other day. She maintains it is "more dangerous" today than it was when we were kids, but I disagree. I think there were just as many perverts then.
We didn't have video games, so we played outside. And we played with actual human friends whom we met face-to-face. Edit: Darn it!! You sucked me in and tricked me into posting!

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
How about Gilligan's Island ...?
My SF location is a paraphrase of a line from that show. Gilligan dreamed he was a South American dictator ... promising his people, "This, that, and the other things."

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember as a gradeschooler, when we lived in Iowa, catching lightning bugs, smearing their glow juice on our faces and running around after dark with this eerie, glowing warpaint!

I hardly see lightning bugs anymore; blasted northern latitude!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I remember as a gradeschooler, when we lived in Iowa, catching lightning bugs, smearing their glow juice on our faces and running around after dark with this eerie, glowing warpaint!

I hardly see lightning bugs anymore; blasted northern latitude!

I did this as well as a child. You should move to Indiana. Hella lightning bugs.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
My SF location is a paraphrase of a line from that show. Gilligan dreamed he was a South American dictator ... promising his people, "This, that, and the other things."

Loved Hans Conried as "Wrongway Feldman" and Phil Silvers as "Harold Hecuba."

The Phil Silvers Show, now that was comedy.

Philsilversshow.jpg

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads