• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What holiday do you celebrate?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I celebrate the birthday of the eight pound, six ounce, newborn baby Jesus.

Absolutely ma'am I'd love to sign your baby. You're not gonna wanna wash that forehead.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kwanzaa? Are you serious? What a joke.

Red Fish Blue

Reaction score
I'm an atheist who celebrates Christmas as well. Unlike many people, I don't really see anything weird about that. It's a nice holiday, and you don't have to believe in God to think that "peace on earth, goodwill to all" is a cool idea.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In...like 20 hours after the poal.

Northy

Reaction score
I celebrate Christmas
biggrin.gif
I thought Kwanza was a made up holiday in Futurama?

eztantz

Reaction score
Does someone here really celebrate Kwanza or are you just a troll screwing up the poll (hey, that rhymes)? Would you care to identify yourself, please.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Incman
I'm athiest, but I participate in christmas for the family and present aspects, just not the religious ones.

Originally Posted by Nil
This.

Originally Posted by Red Fish Blue
I'm an atheist who celebrates Christmas as well. Unlike many people, I don't really see anything weird about that. It's a nice holiday, and you don't have to believe in God to think that "peace on earth, goodwill to all" is a cool idea.

Ditto for me but my family doesn't really celebrate Christmas, I just kinda enjoy the season. (they're christian but they don't like the whole pagan holiday bit, which is really the best bit tbh)

Found this yesterday and thought it was rather nice for an "atheist christmas song" even though it's kinda on the sappy side:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

eztantz

Reaction score
Atheist or agnostic?

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
Atheist or agnostic?

Atheist. Both me and the song if that's what you meant.

eztantz

Reaction score
I was pointing out that many people use the term atheist loosely and more often than not they are merely agnostic. In my humble opinion it takes a whole lot to claim one is an atheist, being agnostic on the other hand is a lot simpler.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was pointing out that many people use the term atheist loosely and more often than not they are merely agnostic. In my humble opinion it takes a whole lot to claim one is an atheist, being agnostic on the other hand is a lot simpler.

I would probably put them on a spectrum rather than making it a binary choice, "spiritual" agnostic being on one extreme and "staunch" (for lack of a better term I guess) atheist being on the other. I'd place myself relatively close to the staunch side, but not entirely there because it seems silly to assert that you know for a fact God doesn't exist we as a species understand only a tiny fraction of how our Universe works.

The way I see things the world doesn't seem to have been influenced by any sort of higher power and the greater likelihood is that the universe and everything in it arose through natural processes guided by natural laws, some of which have yet to be discovered (abiogenesis, mechanism behind the big bang, etc) but, if the history of scientific discovery is any indication, will be discovered eventually and probably exist. This makes me an atheist to the extent that I believe God is incredibly unlikely to the point where I can safely assume that it doesn't exist like, as Carl Sagan once put it, an invisible dragon in the garage.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
I would probably put them on a spectrum rather than making it a binary choice, "spiritual" agnostic being on one extreme and "staunch" (for lack of a better term I guess) atheist being on the other. I'd place myself relatively close to the staunch side, but not entirely there because it seems silly to assert that you know for a fact God doesn't exist we as a species understand only a tiny fraction of how our Universe works.

The way I see things the world doesn't seem to have been influenced by any sort of higher power and the greater likelihood is that the universe and everything in it arose through natural processes guided by natural laws, some of which have yet to be discovered (abiogenesis, mechanism behind the big bang, etc) but, if the history of scientific discovery is any indication, will be discovered eventually and probably exist. This makes me an atheist to the extent that I believe God is incredibly unlikely to the point where I can safely assume that it doesn't exist like, as Carl Sagan once put it, an invisible dragon in the garage.

I believe the correct term for this is 'agnostic atheism'.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the correct term for this is 'agnostic atheism'.

Eh, I don't like the term. I basically operate as a staunch atheist but without the nagging need to disprove the existence of a higher power or make the same faith-based assertion that theists make. It's easier to argue that the probability of one existing appears to be so small as to be negligible.

Either way, to un-derail this thread, Christmas is a fun holiday and anything that is described by Puritans as a time of wasteful and immoral behavior has to be awesome right?

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Christmas is a fun holiday and anything that is described by Puritans as a time of wasteful and immoral behavior has to be awesome right?

lol8[1].gif
- I'm up in NYC & to me the holiday season is kinda romantic, I think it puts everyone in a great mood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads