• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
What do you guys like for bubbly?

Daily drinker -- Roederer
Special flavour daily drinker -- Moet Imperial Nectar
Pink -- Deutz
Special occasions -- Dom

There are not too many champagnes that I don't like with the exception of Veuve Clicquot.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Took advantage of a big sale at my local grocery store. Mer Soliel Chard and two different Pinots.
wine017.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
So grabbed a few things. Was hoping for 05 Fireblock Grenache, but they didn't have any. Instead, they had three 04 on the shelf, which was previously empty. I grabbed all three
smile.gif
Also, grabbed an 08 ME SB (I can't help myself with that) and an interesting Malbec blend, an 05 Tikal Patriota. I plan to pour that with a nice, thick, grilled steak and some mushrooms
smile.gif

pic.jpg

I've got quite a few year's of the Tikal wine along Luca, which are made by the Catena family. Laura Catena, who makes the Luca, is an E.R. doctor at UCSF, and I've been lucky enough to go to the party they host here in San Francisco, which is a classic Argentinian parilla.

Sorry to be name-dropping. That Tikal bottle can be used as a lethal weapon, it's so damn robust.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Daily drinker -- Roederer
Special flavour daily drinker -- Moet Imperial Nectar
Pink -- Deutz
Special occasions -- Dom

There are not too many champagnes that I don't like with the exception of Veuve Clicquot.

thanks!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also check out the Champagne thread. Some great information available there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Took advantage of a big sale at my local grocery store. Mer Soliel Chard and two different Pinots.
wine017.jpg

I've had Etude before Mark. Nice drinker.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WOW! A ton of great stuff gents! Pio I'm very envious of those three FB 04s you landed
devil.gif

But here are the latest I picked up:

alma-et-yalumba.jpg

On the left is the 2006 Alma Rosa "La Encantada Vineyard" Pinot Noir, Sta. Rita Hills. A lovely Pinot, which will age nicely for another year or so. I had the 05 at Just Grapes and it was just lovely...a brilliant balance of bright red fruits and spicy earth and minerality. Will probably snag a couple more of these before they totally disappear.

On the right we have the latest offering in the South Aussie Granche section: the 2006 Yalumba "Bush Vine Grenache", Barossa Valley! Now, I've very upset with the loss of my beloved 2004 FIre Block but this is a fine replacement to be sure! Though the ABV is 2% lower at 14.5% this little bottle is anything but little! In fact it's huge, just like the FB with all the lovely dark fruits and spice. The grapes are sourcedfrom some of the oldest vines in the Yalumba family, from 30 to 70 years old. The Finish is long and lucious but with just a slight tingle of acidity to keep it lively. This really is a fine bottle especially at only $15.99.

And a shot of the Yalumba opened and poured:
yalumba-bush-vine-grenache-2006.jpg

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
wine017.jpg

Nice haul. Let us know how you like them. Like Etude products.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A nice little Oregon wine with dinner last night. One of my mailing list stable.
IMG_0376.jpg
The bubbly was nondescript last night, so I had a couple of G&Ts.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick shot of the malt whisky Ridel glasses:
galsses.jpg

Great glasses. I use mine for cognac but they are excellent for anything 30%+ because the design help alcohol vapors dissipate and lets you concentrate on other, more pleasant aromas in the glass.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had Etude before Mark. Nice drinker.

Nice haul. Let us know how you like them. Like Etude products.

Actually the Etude is the only one of these I haven't tried before. Mer Soliel is one of my fav mid-priced California Chards and the Cambria/Julia's is my favorite <$20 Pinot. These are all the new releases, so I haven't tried these vintages before. Got them all at a pretty substantial discount, so I stocked up a bit.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My reward for selling wine club memberships!

2003 Tyrrell's Wines, "DB24" Shiraz, McLaren Vale

tyrrells-db24-shiraz-2003.jpg

Holy cow this is a huge and amazing wine!!! Aged 12 months in new French oak, then decanted and then aged again for another 12 months in new French oak! Hence the name DB 24 or Double Barrel) But here's the kicker: there is only the subtlest note of warm vanilla oak on the nose. On the palate vanilla tinged blackberry and black cherry notes are balanced by supple and chewy tannins that overlap a long smokey finish that seems to start mid palate with newer notes of black current and dark chocolate. For such a huge, and I mean HUGE wine this one exudes such elegance and grace that you forget that is has been doubled aged! This bad boy is ripe and ready for holiday consumption though I suspect that it could be laid down for no more than a year or two more...however, I'm not going to wait that long...I'm popping the cork of this one for the New Year!

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'll keep an eye out for that. Mc Laren Vale is probably my favourite Australian wine region.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Can almost taste it. Nice write up. No availability in Ontario!
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Homme
^ I'll keep an eye out for that. Mc Laren Vale is probably my favourite Australian wine region.

Thanks audio!

I know it's available from the Just Grapes but not sure if we can ship to Canada!

And now for my latest addition: a payment for some art work done. I have not had a chance to taste this as it's not one we carry at the Grapes! But the guy who gave it to me got it from his other job as the bar tender at the Whitehall Hotel in Chicago and says it's awesome!

2006 Benziger, Signaterra Pinot Noir, Bella Luna Vineyard, Russian River Valley

benziger-signaterra-bella-luna-pn-2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads