• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One last thing: what's the knee measurement on yours? The SE site doesn't have knee measurements for these.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Visited the Self Edge in NY today. Guy at the counter was Allen, he was pretty awesome, talked to my girlfriend about the middle wast while I poked around. I tried on a really awesome dry bones shirt that I'm gonna try to convince my gf to get me for christmas or see if I can pick it up at a later date. It was a dark hickory stripe color and a 38 fit pretty perfectly but I don't know if it would shrink or not.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
One last thing: what's the knee measurement on yours? The SE site doesn't have knee measurements for these.

Not sure where exactly I should measure the knee at (before someone says lol marsupial I figure it's different for people of different heights) but for me it's 8.75" at the center of my knee.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shrink rates, as PeterParker said, are relative to the amound of material shrinking. A 2" inseam shrink figure online will be based on new jeans with full length leg. A 39" leg will shrink more than a 31" leg. That's 8" of material not contributing.

I hot soaked my 5010, and later washed and machine dried them. I originally started with 31" inseam. I ended with 30". I found they shrank during both procedures.

There's nothing wrong with machine drying jeans. It's effective, and you then know you'll be starting from the most shrunk they'll be. No future surprises.

BiG (and my tailor) take knee measurements at 12-13" from crotch.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Tonight, Friday December 11th, is the Mission Block Party..
At Self Edge San Francisco we'll be serving beers from 5pm till 10pm and offering 10% off everything in the store.

This offer is only for in-store SF customers, no phone orders or online orders.
See ya friday night!

MissionParty.jpg

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bummer.

migel

Reaction score
Damn it. I slept on the Skull 5010xx and now they're all out of my size. Currently wearing a pair of new cures but I was thinking of getting a more slim straight cut pair. Now I'm wondering if I should buy the 5507s. Thoughts?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
migel what's your thigh and waist size? I think you'll want slightly beefy thighs if you go with 5507s.

Originally Posted by mlyngard
Shrink rates, as PeterParker said, are relative to the amound of material shrinking. A 2" inseam shrink figure online will be based on new jeans with full length leg. A 39" leg will shrink more than a 31" leg. That's 8" of material not contributing.

I hot soaked my 5010, and later washed and machine dried them. I originally started with 31" inseam. I ended with 30". I found they shrank during both procedures.

There's nothing wrong with machine drying jeans. It's effective, and you then know you'll be starting from the most shrunk they'll be. No future surprises.

BiG (and my tailor) take knee measurements at 12-13" from crotch.

My knee measurement is the same as BiG's so I guess we do the same.

Asians don't use dryers fyi. I have never seen a dryer once in all my time in Japan, China, and Korea.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that an IH heavy hombre flannel the late DJ AM wearing here?

1769158210_12806682919.jpg

Christobevii3

Reaction score
I've got two pairs of 1966 sugar canes size 34x34 and have been looking at obtaining another pair of something. They are slightly baggy in the knees but are just right in the calves/below and at the waist. I just got a pair of 34 weird guy naked and famous and they are crushing my nuts and almost no room anywhere except the waist (they fit like a 36).

Is there a jean that fits pretty similar to the sugar canes 1966 that is slightly snugger in the knees? My new make 501 stf's aren't giving me as bad as of knee bags so that fit would be perfect

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Do my eyes deceive me, or is that an IH heavy hombre flannel the late DJ AM wearing here?

1769158210_12806682919.jpg

Yup, i sold him that shirt a year ago at the SF store... RIP Adam.

Originally Posted by Christobevii3
I've got two pairs of 1966 sugar canes size 34x34 and have been looking at obtaining another pair of something. They are slightly baggy in the knees but are just right in the calves/below and at the waist. I just got a pair of 34 weird guy naked and famous and they are crushing my nuts and almost no room anywhere except the waist (they fit like a 36).

Is there a jean that fits pretty similar to the sugar canes 1966 that is slightly snugger in the knees? My new make 501 stf's aren't giving me as bad as of knee bags so that fit would be perfect

Check these out, i think it's exactly what you're looking for:
http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=476

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads