• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

JTK

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this jacket? I found good deal on a military green version of this same jacket, but am having trouble deciding if the color is too military! I don;t want it to look like an army surplus jacket.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
What do you guys think of this jacket? I found good deal on a military green version of this same jacket, but am having trouble deciding if the color is too military! I don;t want it to look like an army surplus jacket.

I think it belongs in a thread that isn't supposed to be only about peacoats.

crisp24

Reaction score
does anyone have a sterlingwear authentic/navigator pea coat in a size 38?

i'm about to purchase one, however everyone seems to have sized down quite a bit. i have a lean, athletic build, 6' 160lbs, 38.x" chest. my suit jacket size is generally 40 or 42, i would never fit into a 38. i'm leaning towards a 38L but i definitely want a slim fit.

any help is appreciated.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
img1688x.jpg

This is excellent. A fresh breath in a clusterfuck thread littered with garbage looking sterlingwear shitbags

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
This is excellent. A fresh breath in a clusterfuck thread littered with garbage looking sterlingwear shitbags

Wow. Thanks.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma

Right. Because a real peacoat doesn't have enough buttons, so two more useless ones on the pockets does the trick. Plus it's always good to have a six inch strap hanging from your peacoat collar.

Embrace your anger.

JOoa0ky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bb714
Here are some pictures with a sweater underneath. Does the coat look too long?

I cannot imagine fitting into a 30R with a 35" chest.

2pynm0y.jpg

29ok22t.jpg

You should include a full body picture if you want to ask about coat length.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me some alternatives to a Sterlingwear that I can try on in a store in California? Can anyone comment on like a J Crew or Ralph Lauren or Lands End or whatever else there is? A Burberry peacoat on sale?

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Can anyone tell me some alternatives to a Sterlingwear that I can try on in a store in California? Can anyone comment on like a J Crew or Ralph Lauren or Lands End or whatever else there is? A Burberry peacoat on sale?

I have the J Crew in navy, with the thinsulate lining. TTS in the shoulders, but I had to have the sleeves shortened and the sides taken in.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
has anyone had any experience with the sterlingwear recommendation to size up? I'm a small 38, big 36. Someone has a 38R for sale. The 34R was definitely way to small on me. Any thoughts?

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends on which coat and how you're built. according to michelle at sterlingwear the classic and the mariner are their two more "fashion" oriented coats and they're cut slimmer. both were a little tight in the chest/shoulders on me when i tried them on TTS. i purchased a classic one size up, but will need to have it taken in around the waist.
i tried a navigator on TTS and it was fine, even a little roomy in the chest. keep in mind it doesnt have a quilted liner like the others, but it does seem the 6 button coats they offer (navigator, authentic) are pretty generously cut.

Originally Posted by Dillardiv
has anyone had any experience with the sterlingwear recommendation to size up? I'm a small 38, big 36. Someone has a 38R for sale. The 34R was definitely way to small on me. Any thoughts?

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dillardiv

I don't think you should size up.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this out of curiosity, not just to open a can of worms:

Why do some of you wear your pea coat with the bottom button undone? Does the habit come from wearing a suit jacket? It looks all out of balance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads