• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belstaff waxed jackets: Roadmaster vs Redford

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Redford is awesome; I don't get the hate.

amnesiac

Reaction score
I met an Italian man the other day who had a Belstaff that was beaten to shreds all over, every edge was frayed, it draped perfectly, and it looked awesome. Belstaff for me at least has a far more youthful active appearance, perhaps because of the motorcycle heritage and the visible brass buttons, in comparison to Barbour. This could also be because every Barbour jacket I see these days is donned by a 'dressed by girlfriend/wife/mother' type who wandered out of a J Crew with a new wardrobe, or an older person who's worn one for the last 20 winters straight because it's the only jacket they have. Not that I have any say in this since I have a J Crew Millerain....

I like the quilting, it'll be warmer (if that's what you want), and it works nicely with the jacket.

I don't think the Redford could really be associated with the elderly these days as long as you don't get it oversized and don't wear it with those huge tennis shoes.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
thanks for the wonderful insight zero maybe you can sniff a few for us

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
i wonder how many people commenting on this have actually handled the pieces before saying how ugly they are

i believe it's likely the judgment would have been different if it had a margiela or W+H tag

zeroize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
I don't think the Redford could really be associated with the elderly these days as long as you don't get it oversized and don't wear it with those huge tennis shoes.

The Roadmaster and Redford desing is quite fit, I've already tried on both. And the quilt is associated with the elderly because of the british "hunting" jackets like the pictured below, but the padding is in fact from the light textile armor wore below the plate armor in the middle age.

M40295103_509_01_504_540.jpg

infantry_gambeson.jpg

600.jpg.jpg

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
oh and not everyone wearing a barbour is some j crew idiot

I missed the part where I said everyone was? I said the people I see around me these days, in New York City, tend to look like they got them just because J. Crew started pushing them. J. Crew started pushing them because fashionable people started wearing them, or maybe because Sartorialist shot so many of them, who knows.

As with anything 'classic,' there's always going to be people who've always worn them and others who just started. It really doesn't matter, just wear it and wear it well.

I still stand behind the quilted one, though only if you need the quilting.

Originally Posted by zeroize
Who is the girl?

Her name is in the file name. It's Alexa Chung and she looks better than McQueen in that International.

towen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ersatzmoe
I once heard a story that may or may not be true:

Joe DiMaggio once stayed home instead of going to Marilyn Monroe's house to bang her, so he could rewax his Belstaff jacket.

It was Steve McQueen.

I own the Roadmaster and I love it. I don't really love the look of the Redford, but its not terrible.

zeroize

Reaction score
Originally Posted by towen
It was Steve McQueen.

I own the Roadmaster and I love it. I don't really love the look of the Redford, but its not terrible.

How much does it cost to have the jacket rewaxed? And a wax can to do it yourself?

I think Steve McQueen had enough money to pay someone to do that staff...

Gutman

Reaction score
Quite liking the padded Redford myself. I can't imagine Barbour jackets looking like this - Barbour is country wear, looser in its fit and generally longer too. The Belstaff is for riding so it needs to be fitted. Much cooler, as long as you yourself a cool of couse. The padded is a little more rugged looking perhaps, so factor that in depending on what style you have.

Gutman

Reaction score
How much does it cost to have the jacket rewaxed? And a wax can to do it yourself?

I think Steve McQueen had enough money to pay someone to do that staff...

You rewax yourself. would you get somone else to clean your guns? man's gotta look after his own stuff. buy a tub of wax, find somewhere warm (in the sun is good, so the oilskin loosens up and the wax works in easier) and get to work. it takes a while, and be generous with the wax otherwise you don't get an even finish. the better oilskins don't carry the lining down too close to the hem / cuff, because all oilskin shrinks a bit overtime, especially if it gets badly waterlogged for a few days. i think rewaxing probably shrinks it up a bit too, but not 100% sure on that.

Wu Dynasty

Reaction score
All classic Belstaff winter biker jackets look almost the same, with the 4 pockets in the front. Same look for at least the last 50 years. So you like them or you don't, but they are not "particularly ugly", the are like the rest. Check the catalogue -> http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?op...k=1&Itemid=456 Steve Mcqueen wearing a Belstaff waxed jacket.
steve%20mcqueen.jpg
Will Smith, wearing same Belstaff waxed jacket in "I am Legend"
will_smith_300x400.jpg
Che Gevara wore one too in his motorbike trip along Southamerica.

If I recall correctly, in that particular Steve Mcqueen picture, Steve is wearing a Barbour International, though he was known to be a big fan of Belstaff. Also, the jacket Will Smith wore in I Am Legend is a Belstaff Trialmaster, not a Roadmaster.

gin8u

Reaction score
Both retail for the same, 500-550€, but you can get them chepaer. Since it's a kind of jacket that does not get old fashioned you can always wait for season clearance and pay about 300€.

I noticed J crew has an olive-colored Belstaff jacket, which retails for a bit more than the 300€ sale price. Should one be staying away from the J Crew version and buy directly online, despite living in Canada?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads