• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zazaza, thanks for the info on the ducktailing! Seems like MrNick's side view photo also shows this problem. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and it seems to be a common thing so I guess I will live with it.

dshack

Reaction score
Does anyone know whether sterlingwear cuts their coats particularly different for children or women than they do for men? I'm 5'3", 125lb, 36 chest, 28" waist, and really short arms. I'd probably have to shorten the sleeves on a men's 34S, but might be able to wear a women's 10 or boy's large without alterations.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Froosh
zazaza, thanks for the info on the ducktailing! Seems like MrNick's side view photo also shows this problem. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and it seems to be a common thing so I guess I will live with it.

based on what i've read online and what i experienced firsthand, yes, it seems to be common.
not sure if it can be remedied by changing where the tack is placed, ordering a different length, etc
but its something to be considered

JOoa0ky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bb714
I would say it's pretty good. I tried the 32R as well and I found myself unable to move that much. I think the 34R is good for me. There are a few pictures on SF.

I still don't understand how you are the same chest size as me but need a 34. I can change a light bulb in my 30 and I'm a 35" chest. Measured with my arms spread out horizontally with the tape over the widest part of my chest, right under the armpit.

cicero79

Reaction score
Just to shed some light, The Spiewak McKenzie is great for the slim guy, I mean really slim, because if you have any shoulder or pecks than you're going to be feeling some tightness in the top block. I swapped out for a standard Schott 740N and while it's not the slimmest, it gives me much more free range of motion with the option of layering my suit jacket underneath for the East Coast i'm moving to. Different strokes for different folks I suppose

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOoa0ky
I still don't understand how you are the same chest size as me but need a 34. I can change a light bulb in my 30 and I'm a 35" chest. Measured with my arms spread out horizontally with the tape over the widest part of my chest, right under the armpit.
That's strange. Can you post a picture of your fit? EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the pictures a few pages back.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOoa0ky
I still don't understand how you are the same chest size as me but need a 34. I can change a light bulb in my 30 and I'm a 35" chest.
Yes, but you look marsupialed.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to have that same mindset when I first started going on SF. I would buy all the clothes and pants that fit on me the tightest.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
I do need to add the caveat that nearly all of their coats with a vent tend to ducktail. ( i tried on everything from one size down, TTS and one size up and they all did this)
i'm a big guy but i have a 12in drop so i'm not sure whats going on with their vent. michelle did concede that the vented coats "tend to do that".

A flare in the rear vent is one the steeziest things about a peacoat, IMO, it matches a popped pea collar nicely and the skirt area should have a nice subtle flare as well. You guys need to get your swag game up (and stop worrying so much about sizing, fit, and every last detail)
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
N. Hoolywood made a perfect slim fitting peacoat back in 2005, if anyone is so inclined to track one down. There's actually one for sale here in a fitted size M here for 53000 yen. All kinds of insane details like a funnel neck, double front pockets that button shut, nice viscose lining, and one of the coolest textured wools I've seen

http://www.kind.co.jp/shibuya/newpage64.html

Been wearing mine for three years now, love it

This is pretty good, overall. Aesthetically pleasing, and the unbuttoned fit doesn't wallow. I know that most people with common sense will button at least the top two or bottom two buttons when wearing it, but the unbuttoned fit is a good indicator of how delicate the shape is when buttoned... and this coat is definitely more shaped than a typical peacoat.
Not fond of the textured material (lots of cheap winter coats here come in that roped wool and it just looks cheap to me - it is), don't like the gun flap, and I think the sides are a bit suppressed (though they do match the very slim arms) but this is a good slim peacoat that's not a Sterlingwear (which you guys are trying to make a skinny peacoat, when it is not, really...

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
A flare in the rear vent is one the steeziest things about a peacoat, IMO, it matches a popped pea collar nicely and the skirt area should have a nice subtle flare as well. You guys need to get your swag game up (and stop worrying so much about sizing, fit, and every last detail)
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

i hear you, and i've seen people that can pull it off. however, in my case the duck tail just looked like the coat was too small, even when the top was a size too big.

bb714

Reaction score
Here are some pictures with a sweater underneath. Does the coat look too long?

I cannot imagine fitting into a 30R with a 35" chest.

2pynm0y.jpg

29ok22t.jpg

Dam its Johnny

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the sleeves if there sizing chart is true. As I have an H&M pea coat size small and the sleeves meassure 18in from the inseam and is about an inch too long for me. So according to sterlingwear a short has a 17in sleeve inseam. Can anyone comfirm this as I've read over 100 pages of this thread and some people say yes and some people say no.
Just get a general idea
I'm 5'10/5'11
150lbs
37in cheat
other peacoat measures 18in inseam on the sleeve and it's too long. So I should order a short with the 17in?
34 or 36 and short or regular?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't measure sleeves from the inseam. What the **** is it that makes people think this is a good idea?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads