• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athlete's Foot is Waking Me from REM Sleep

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had this before. OMG, the toe itching is unbearable. I've considered amputation, if only to fit into standard width shoes someday. I've been attacking it with $20 antifungal creams, cortisone, Listerine footbaths... The **** likes to wake me from deep sleep. It takes hours for the itching to subside. It has really messed up my sleep patterns.

Anybody else ever suffer from this ? I'd rather even listen to FM modern country music than deal with this malady.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Have you tried going to a doctor?

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Make sure not to transfer the fungus to your balls.

RjSF7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic

lol.
laugh.gif
But seriously, have you tried washing with plain old soap? Maybe try some cold water after, the bacteria/fungus on your feet could be thermophilic.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
QFT. Put socks on before underwear, srsly.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find Polysporin first aid ointment works much better for this than any of those antifungal creams. Rub it on, put on some clean white socks & go to sleep.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
I find Polysporin first aid ointment works much better for this than any of those antifungal creams. Rub it on, put on some clean white socks & go to sleep.

really? that's really surprising because polysporin is an antibiotic. how many times has it worked for you?

for non-OTC treatment for athlete's foot, one can use nizoral shampoo and see what kind of success they have with it. only limitation is that the non-prescription strength nizoral isn't very strong.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have used it many times. Why is that so surprising? Can't this be an issue with bacteria as well as fungus?

imhotep

Reaction score
Have used it many times. Why is that so surprising? Can't this be an issue with bacteria as well as fungus?

the active ingredient in polysporin is the antibiotic, bacitracin. bacitracin inhibits bacterial cell wall cynthesis. it's surprising because fungi don't have a peptidoglycan cell wall. i'm not saying that you are imagining things, i'm just surprised by it.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried the Polysporin one night when I was in about the same condition as the OP and it was the only thing I had, and it was like whoa that worked. My question is, once the skin is open, is it possible that bacteria are causing the problem rather than just the fungal infection?

AB01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imhotep
really? that's really surprising because polysporin is an antibiotic. how many times has it worked for you?

for non-OTC treatment for athlete's foot, one can use nizoral shampoo and see what kind of success they have with it. only limitation is that the non-prescription strength nizoral isn't very strong.

Can I put the footcream on my head? It says not to, but I'm all about the extra-strength.

imhotep

Reaction score
I tried the Polysporin one night when I was in about the same condition as the OP and it was the only thing I had, and it was like whoa that worked. My question is, once the skin is open, is it possible that bacteria are causing the problem rather than just the fungal infection?

it's possible you could have a secondary staph bacterial infection or something of that sort. but the fungus would still be sticking around as well.

Originally Posted by AB01
Can I put the footcream on my head? It says not to, but I'm all about the extra-strength.

lol. probably not a good idea. but if you do, maybe mix one part footcream with one part bumcream.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get clotrimazole cream and rub it well into the skin around all your toes, and in between, twice a day. Then, before you go to bed, use some hydrocortisone cream in the same places to knock out the itching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads