• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fused suit with floating chest piece?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The majority of suits in the mid price range utilize fusing and a floating chest piece. Some manufacturers will extend that chest piece into the lapels and pad-stitch it in place, while others will construct the lapel using fusible materials.

From "˜all fused' on one side and "˜all canvas' on the other, there are a variety of in between construction methods possible.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See here, the arrow is pointed at the fusing:

suitsupplyi.jpg

suitsupplyii.jpg

And here you see the same kind of jacket without fusing (the black thing is the breast pocket):

jasjeivkijkjeinbinnenwe.jpg

asdf

Reaction score
doesnt fused, by definition, mean not-floating? like a welded joint cannot articulate....they are contrary, are they not?

unless you mean utilize fusing AND a floating chest piece?

I think I am confused.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
doesnt fused, by definition, mean not-floating? like a welded joint cannot articulate....they are contrary, are they not?

unless you mean utilize fusing AND a floating chest piece?

I think I am confused.

Yes, the chest piece is 'floating', the rest is fused.

See jefferyd's diagram:

2hwft00.jpg

Here's another example:

zegnasoft3open.jpg

Chestpiece (with black fusing beneath it):

zegnasoft4borststukopen.jpg

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
zegnasoft3open.jpg

Geez, look at all that ****... its a wonder a jacket looks good on us.

asdf

Reaction score
huh, all very interesting. i figured it was a binary choice.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, the chest piece is 'floating', the rest is fused.

See jefferyd's diagram:
2hwft00.jpg

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

BTW: I am no way advocating that members rip open their jackets, this forum has been through that fiasco once, let's not repeat it please.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To summarize,

there is no such things as a non-floating chest piece.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
BTW: I am no way advocating that members rip open their jackets, this forum has been through that fiasco once, let's not repeat it please.

I missed that. Can you recommend any threads?

I'd say: all open an old jacket, look inside, and take pictures. (At your own risk... bla bla, of course.)

- - - - -

@jefferyd: I made a bit of a mess of the dissection of the above suit jacket (sorry about that). How does a professional remove (some of) the lining in a clean but fast way?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd say: all open an old jacket, look inside, and take pictures.
I have a Huntsman suit on its way, which dates to the time Richard Anderson left them so should be interesting. Stay tuned. STill trying to get my hands on some Kiton.
- - - - -

@jefferyd: I made a bit of a mess of the dissection of the above suit jacket (sorry about that). How does a professional remove (some of) the lining in a clean but fast way?

Go in the reverse order in which it was made. It's always a bit messy, regardless.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
I have a Huntsman suit on its way, which dates to the time Richard Anderson left them so should be interesting. Stay tuned. STill trying to get my hands on some Kiton.
- - - - -

Definitely interesting!

Go in the reverse order in which it was made. It's always a bit messy, regardless.

Thank you, jefferyd. But, er... then I would have to know the order in which it's made... Unfortunately, that's far beyond my knowledge/skills...

But just to take a look behind the lining, inside the coat"”what tools do you use? Just a ripper (hopefully the right term) and patience, or other tools/techniques?

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But just to take a look behind the lining, inside the coat"”what tools do you use? Just a ripper (hopefully the right term) and patience, or other tools/techniques?

If you're in a hurry, use a razor blade. Otherwise, patience. Pull up a thread, give it a good yank in the direction of the seam, it should rip several stitches at once, then repeat on the other side of the seam. It's faster and cleaner than using a seam ripper. Open the sleeve lining, the side seam and then the hem and peel back the lining- you can still put it back together fairly easily like this, so if you want to wear it again, stop there, if not, open the collar, the shoulder seams, the felling stitches which hold the facing in place, and you will have a good view of the inside.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in a hurry, use a razor blade. Otherwise, patience. Pull up a thread, give it a good yank in the direction of the seam, it should rip several stitches at once, then repeat on the other side of the seam. It's faster and cleaner than using a seam ripper. Open the sleeve lining, the side seam and then the hem and peel back the lining- you can still put it back together fairly easily like this, so if you want to wear it again, stop there, if not, open the collar, the shoulder seams, the felling stitches which hold the facing in place, and you will have a good view of the inside.

Thank you very much for your explanation.

Do I understand correctly that you just use your fingers for the 'patience method', or do you use the ripper to pull up the thread and then your fingers to rip the stitches? Otherwise, how do you pull up the thread? Forgive me for the specific - and possibly stupid - questions... And thank you beforehand for your patience in answering it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads