• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doing an all-nighter

blackjack

Reaction score
I've decided to do an all-nighter to get some long overdue paperwork done before the year-end.

Aside from copious amounts of coffee and some instant Masala Chai mix I found in the cupboard, anyone have additional advice or tips?

Not doing any drugs - prescription or otherwise. No interest and even if I was - no access
wink.gif

imhotep

Reaction score
it's not that bad. the problem starts at about 8AM when you get tired as hell. if you can bear through that, you'll start to feel decent again by noon.

also, make sure you keep yourself fed. makes a big difference between feeling moderately ****** or really ******.

Acephale

Reaction score
Lots of tea (if you get wired on coffee), and just fluids in gereral and occasional gusts of fresh air... especially at this time of year. (presuming you are not in the sub-tropics but then again monsoon typhoon...)

And vot he said... snack lots.

Gingahbman

Reaction score
Showers. From a man who has pulled more all nighters than 7/11 I can tell you... showers.

You'll start to get tired again in the morning, but truck through it and if you feel you are getting tired, take a hot shower. By the time you step out and feel the pang feeling of winter air on your skin, you'll wake up. Plus your immune system is a bit weaker so you'll be more susceptible to feel a chill.

I'm actually pulling another all nighter myself, so I wish you the best of luck sir!

Whatever you do... don't watch TV. A dull moment can knock you out just like that.

Finally sit upright!

CaJx

Reaction score
An alarm set in intervals (like every hour with your phone or something), chances are that you will take a five minute nap and fall asleep. Good luck.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smell freshly roasted coffee beans at regular intervals.

Akrobat

Reaction score
I am also doing an all-nighters, but for very different reasons. Anyhow, music helps. Especially upbeat music so long as it is something you like enough not to get sick of/get a headache from. Water, however random that is, is important.

Something stimulating. If you are going to be doing papers you might want to take small breaks and do preform an activity which is at least mildly entertaining to get yourself concentrating on something other than the fatigue which is setting on.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
taking a short nap helps (like 20 minutes) and being somewhere that's not next to your bed helps. someplace with lots of foot traffic no matter the time of day.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop browsing the internet and refreshing SF, and get back to work.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is your first time or first few times doing an all-nighter, forget the coffee and just go straight for the caffeine tablets.

They are quite amazing the first few times, literally keep you mentally sharp.

Keep taking them is not a good idea though.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*******, adderall for the win if you REALLY need to get something done.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmash1080
*******, adderall for the win if you REALLY need to get something done.

Yes.

But for conventional ways. DO NOT DRINK A LOT OF COFFEE, ***** too strong and will make you jittery and then you will feel a crash. Get enough protein and drink ice water. Take power naps if you need and take a shower when your alertness is slipping. I only use caffeine around the 4-5am mark when I start hitting a wall until daylight breaks and the diurnal cycle wakes you up a bit.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand all-nighters. I've gone through 5 years of university without the need to pull one. It seems like the least effective way of getting work done well.

wagthesam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are so busy that you need an all nighter to make it work that means you are fucked as being tired the next day will screw you even more.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I don't understand all-nighters. I've gone through 5 years of university without the need to pull one. It seems like the least effective way of getting work done well.

I never did them in undergrad, not a single one. Then I got to law school . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads