• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

KBW

Reaction score
my head is rather large...anyone recommend a pair of sunglasses for someone with a large dome? Prefer to keep sub $500 but would buy a good looking pair if they were $50 so I'm not trying to spend a ton but will if I need to if that makes any sense. I just broke my pair of Persols I purchased from someone on this forum

Max Biggavel

Reaction score
what can one wear with black slim corduroy jeans? (APC PS cut)

Deluks917

Reaction score
The difference in sizing between US and Japanese Uniqlo is dramatic. Over 2 sizes in some cases. I like both.

savejake

Reaction score
as mentioned in a page earlier, i'm working on overhauling my wardrobe due to weight loss. Before I start dropping cash on a few pieces to tide me over until I lose all the weight I want, I wanted to make sure my idea of sizing was more or less right.

Attached is a picture of me in an unspectacular china-made shirt that I feel fits me pretty well, although the body could be slimmer. It's sized medium, and in most brands I'm pretty sure i'm going to start middrifting if I size into a small.

I'm sized 39" in the chest and am 5'8" with a long torso and short (28.5" inseam) legs. i still have to get the rest of my measurements.

thanks for any help for this neophyte

ps the ns were purchased before any of the weightless, so i'm aware they fit a little too loose. and forgive my camera work with a six year old camera.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've pretty much been wearing the same North Face jacket almost everyday since it's gotten cold and I'm looking at buying another jacket. What other type of jacket can I get for a high school setting?

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by splattered
Since the subject of chucks keeps popping up... who here has worn both chucks and pf flyer cousy? I've never worn chucks before but i got some pf flyers and man they are uncomfortable... even with insoles they hurt my feet a bit. I know they aren't "broken in" yet n what not, but still... i'm used to wearing regular sneakers with better support. Just wondering if chucks are same/better/worse.

I haven't worn Flyers but I wouldn't dream of wearing my Chucks without insoles. Instead of going down for "Converse sizing" I just ordered my normal size to allow for the insole to fit in there and I was good to go fresh out of the box. Good luck.

Originally Posted by lemmywinks
So I've pretty much been wearing the same North Face jacket almost everyday since it's gotten cold and I'm looking at buying another jacket. What other type of jacket can I get for a high school setting?

Man, you're first problem is "high school setting". Screw the other kids, wear what you like. I'm a HS Senior and my friends crush me when I come in with my collar popped on my peacoat, scarf, etc. because we're "just in high school". Well if you found this site then you obviously care how you look so why does it matter where you are?

On that note, give a price range, desired style or material if there is one, etc and there is sure to be some suggestions.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLeiber32
Man, you're first problem is "high school setting". Screw the other kids, wear what you like. I'm a HS Senior and my friends crush me when I come in with my collar popped on my peacoat, scarf, etc. because we're "just in high school". Well if you found this site then you obviously care how you look so why does it matter where you are? On that note, give a price range, desired style or material if there is one, etc and there is sure to be some suggestions.
Well since I found this site I obviously care enough about how I dress but there's still that line. Would you wear a suit to school everyday with some John Lobbs or Edward Greens? Anyway I guess I'm just looking for the most casual of coats. I seriously have no idea how the coats are on the formality scale and I don't know what the difference between a trench and a peacoat and a a car coat and an overcoat is, but I'm looking for something in that style of coats as opposed to a North Face type of jacket. Something I can wear with skinny jeans and some beat up Jack Purcells and maybe a sweater underneath.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Well since I found this site I obviously care enough about how I dress but there's still that line. Would you wear a suit to school everyday with some John Lobbs or Edward Greens?

Anyway I guess I'm just looking for the most casual of coats. I seriously have no idea how the coats are on the formality scale and I don't know what the difference between a trench and a peacoat and a a car coat and an overcoat is, but I'm looking for something in that style of coats as opposed to a North Face type of jacket. Something I can wear with skinny jeans and some beat up Jack Purcells and maybe a sweater underneath.

Ha well no I certainly wouldn't but there isn't really a "suit" of outerwear other than full length overcoats and maybe some trenches. Check out the "MEGA Peacoat Thread" and consider a Sterlingwear peacoat. They're warm as hell, great quality/price and can be dressed up or down.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well since I found this site I obviously care enough about how I dress but there's still that line. Would you wear a suit to school everyday with some John Lobbs or Edward Greens? Anyway I guess I'm just looking for the most casual of coats. I seriously have no idea how the coats are on the formality scale and I don't know what the difference between a trench and a peacoat and a a car coat and an overcoat is, but I'm looking for something in that style of coats as opposed to a North Face type of jacket. Something I can wear with skinny jeans and some beat up Jack Purcells and maybe a sweater underneath.
IF I had the money for EG and nice suits, damn straight I'd wear that **** daily.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
IF I had the money for EG and nice suits, damn straight I'd wear that **** daily.

Would you wear it everyday if you were in high school?

I guess peacoat is the way to go. I had that in mind too.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Would you wear it everyday if you were in high school? I guess peacoat is the way to go. I had that in mind too.
Hell yes I would. If anyone questioned me I'd be all "***** I'm Chuck Bass..... sorta"

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try a military surplus store. Great stuff and cheap prices for a HS student.

mtmindc

Reaction score
Someone recommend me a pinpoint oxford with a spread collar. Something that travels well - can be washed and hung for a casual look or ironed and worn with a tie to be dressy in a pinch.

I had a J. Crew slim fit that fit these criteria that recently fell victim to some bleach. Too bad all their shirts have button-down or point collars otherwise I'd re-up even at full retail.

tim_pnin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtmindc
Someone recommend me a pinpoint oxford with a spread collar. Something that travels well - can be washed and hung for a casual look or ironed and worn with a tie to be dressy in a pinch.

I had a J. Crew slim fit that fit these criteria that recently fell victim to some bleach. Too bad all their shirts have button-down or point collars otherwise I'd re-up even at full retail.

Epaulet. Here is a nice one: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...-Spread/Detail

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads