• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Self Edge SF/NY/LA/PDX/MX - Japanese Denim & Leather, Top Notch Basics, Very Nice Jewelry + Eyewear, & More

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking at some 5507's. I usually take an inseam of 32. What would be a good inseam to get these suckers hemmed to in lieu of the minor shrinkage that will occur? I'd take a tagged 33 here, so they wouldn't look too great with more than minimal stacking, so I'm thing maybe a 32.5 inseam. Sound about right?

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Looking at some 5507's. I usually take an inseam of 32. What would be a good inseam to get these suckers hemmed to in lieu of the minor shrinkage that will occur? I'd take a tagged 33 here, so they wouldn't look too great with more than minimal stacking, so I'm thing maybe a 32.5 inseam. Sound about right?

I'd get them at 33", the inseam will shrink about .6" after a wash or two.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
kiya, where do you measure inseam from? From my measurements my Skulls shrank at most a couple tenths of an inch, if that. I hang dried them though so they might have stretched back out because of that.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
kiya, where do you measure inseam from? From my measurements my Skulls shrank at most a couple tenths of an inch, if that. I hang dried them though so they might have stretched back out because of that.

We measure the inseam from the cross at the crotch seam to the end of the leg.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm anyways mine didn't have any drastic shrinkage though I didn't use terribly hot water, just pretty warm. Might be because I had them hemmed to 30.5" though, meaning 7" less jean to shrink.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you hot wash your 5010's? If so, what kind of inseam shrinkage did you get?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hot soak and hang dried, they lost at most .2". For reference, my 5010s had the same shrinkage and same drying method. I bet if you do a boiling soak or use a dryer you'll get more shrinkage though. This is just my experience anyways.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So you never washed your 5010's in the washer, just soaked them?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whoops made a mistake, hot washed my 5010s and just soaked the 5507s. But anyways they both shrank the same, almost nothing.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good to know. Too much stacking with a hem that starts out at 8.2" is going to make the leg look bigger, so I'm going for minimal stacking with these. Gonna pull the trigger, since stock of the 5507 is depleting quickly and it sounds like the next restock is not definite.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Hmm anyways mine didn't have any drastic shrinkage though I didn't use terribly hot water, just pretty warm. Might be because I had them hemmed to 30.5" though, meaning 7" less jean to shrink.
Shrinkage happens as a percentage of the overall fabric dimensions, so yes, the inseam will shrink less in the length if they have been hemmed. Shrinkage does not necesarily occur equally in all directions (may shrink more in length than width). Since the Skull denim is sanforized, shrinkage already will be minimal. Basically shrinkage is negligible, and if it does shrink it's nothing that can't be cured with a little bit of stretching while the jeans are still damp. If it's more shrinkage that you want, then throw them in the dryer and you should see them shrink maybe an inch.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Good to know. Too much stacking with a hem that starts out at 8.2" is going to make the leg look bigger, so I'm going for minimal stacking with these. Gonna pull the trigger, since stock of the 5507 is depleting quickly and it sounds like the next restock is not definite.

Actually a guy on sufu bought a 31 and said he has a 7.5" hem so not sure what's going on. Mine are 7.5" too on a 30, but I didn't measure until after the soak. I do think that these guys look best without a lot of stacking though.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Measured my pair of Uniqlo black denim that gets a little bit of stacking, and it's a true 32" inseam. Gonna go with the 32.5" inseam on the Skulls and just stick with hang drying.

I'm assuming you had Kiya hem them for you?

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, took a bit of waiting but it's done well. Figured it's not that much extra when I have to have them hemmed anyways, and it's impossible to tell the Korean tailors not to iron and steam the hell out of your jeans when they hem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics