• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jamaican

Reaction score
I really like the exotics when done well.

I like the Top Drawer shoes with alligator (I think). I have also seen some lovely Cleverley exotic shoes as well as Gaziano & Girling chukka boots and shoes (Lasbar's are a just very special). I wouldn't wear them everyday and I think they are a bit "bling". However, a bit of bling from time to time shakes things up rather nicely.

I don't think it's necessarily "pimiptastic" (no, I won't define that), although I would avoid rocking my "gators" with a green zoot suit. With some appropriate clothing I think crocodile, alligator - even snake and some lizard skins very stylish and is a style I'd like to try from time to time when I am in the position to throw a few grand at Tony Gaziano (- I would go to him as I think his lasts just "work" with the exotics better than anything else I have seen -). Until then I will just look and admire. J

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
no need to guess. after mr. rnoldh brought up a nice anecdote, i thought i bring one up, too
Well, I hope I answered your question about why 3mm makes a difference. You can agree with me or not but I would remark in passing that after literally hundreds of years (the English term "cordwainer" first appears in 1100 AD) of evolution in the Trade and in lastmaking in particular, it seems significant to me that lasts are sized in half sized increments. If makers...shoemakers...around the world didn't feel that a half size--your 3mm ( I'm used to thinking in 1/6's of an inch)--was useful, and even required, then lastmakers would offer no 7.5's and lasts would run in full size only. just a thought...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fritzl,

One other thought that occurred to me--it is all too possible, when we do not share a common language, to misunderstand. Perhaps you misunderstood the point that MR. Weiner was making. Not the words, mind you, but the ideas behind them

The reason I say this is that a bespoke maker almost certainly doesn't concern himself with sizes or half sizes. We work from measurements of the foot and it is entirely possible that in terms of sizes (a somewhat variable standard, in any case) that one foot would be a seven and a third and the other might be a seven and a quarter. Yet to a bespoke maker, those designations would be of nearly meaningless by comparison with an accurate "stick" (length measurement).

And in many cases, especially in Europe and among the very best bespoke makers, a last would be hand carved to your individual foot from a block of wood that had no size marking on it when the carving began. Again, in these best of circumstances size designations are unimportant.

Just another thought...

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some very lightly used (one wearing) EG captoe crocs in 11.5D if anyone is interested. Trees, box and bags included.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love looking at them at marvel at the expensiveness and irrelevance of them, but really can't see myself wearing them with any outfit currently in my closet.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980
I love looking at them at marvel at the expensiveness and irrelevance of them, but really can't see myself wearing them with any outfit currently in my closet.
Same here. I get a thrill out of seeing them, but would have a hard time wearing them.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Same here. I get a thrill out of seeing them, but would have a hard time wearing them.

I have a bespoke pair of oxfords in Dark Cherry/Burgundy, they are fantastic to look at but will get limited wear time due to me feeling more conscious of what people think when they seem them. You wear these shoes in tight company who know you well

I am very keen on the dark brown G&G bespoke Alligators (the ones they show at their trunk shows) I may order a pair later on, financial position permitting

bobyoung7

Reaction score
Love 'em. I have two pair of loafers-penny and tassel- and a pair of laceups. I wear the loafers casually and and the oxfords with suits.

BRIMSTONE

Reaction score
I've got a weakness for crocodile and alligator shoes. I've just recently purchased the Ralph Lauren Bleekers on the Grapevinehill site. What do you guys think of them?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BRIMSTONE
I've got a weakness for crocodile and alligator shoes. I've just recently purchased the Ralph Lauren Bleekers on the Grapevinehill site. What do you guys think of them?

im a fan of nice looking croc or alligator shoes when done on the right shoe design. and i do like RL shoes but i am not fond of croc/alligator on very casual looking shoe fare like the moccasins above especially when the stitch for the apron is too close to the edge.

if the apron (lake) was smaller (meaning the stitch is more inward) it would make for more a dressier loafer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads