• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent suit in Toronto

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went into Zara, and I bought a plain black suit, while it was a great slim fit I just am not really impressed with the quality and look of it. It just looks blah.

So where can I find a decent suit as a decent price in the GTA?

Thanks for your help. I actually went to sears and found some nice pieces.

edit,, 400-500 is my price range

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression zara carried nice suits. Damn, I think I"ll go this route and get something taliored

Thanks for the response

GucciKid

Reaction score
If you have the time and inclination I would go into Holt's or Harry Rosen on Bloor and try on some of the suits there.

Once you know what you like or what fits you, go to the B & S Forum or ebay and buy that brand/suit. For 400-500 you could get something like Zegna, RLBL, or Polo, anyways, something much nicer and of much better quality than you'll get for that price in Toronto.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some additional ideas for you, based on if the suit is to be new.
Under $500

Moores
Locations all over the city.
Their product quality has gotten much better than 15-20 years ago. Out-sourcing made that possible. Don't bother with the shoes from there. Not worth the money at all.

International Clothiers
Orfus Rd., Eaton Centre, etc.
Even if you find something nice in your price range,
you'll quickly learn you could have invested slightly more $$ in something far superior in quality.

If you are willing to wait and increase the budget to say, $800-$1,000, you'd be able to find more options.

$800-$1,000

Harry Rosen Clearance Outlet
(Heartland Centre, Mississauga)
Brands such as Harry Rosen, Copplay, Boss, (possibly even Samuelsohn?) can be purchased for under $1,000

Thornhill Centre (is that the correct name?)
Features various store outlets
End of lines & discontinued items. Discounted buys on suits, shirts, shoes, etc.

Holt Renfrew (Last Call Clearance Centre) (Thornhill, ON)
370 Steeles Ave W
Thornhill, ON

To be fair to Zara, I have been impressed by the quality of some of their dress shirts though again, out-sourcing is involved. For around the same money on shirts you could get Harry Rosen brand or J.P. Tilford at the Harry Rosen Heartland Centre location, only less selection.

Last thought on shirts; Jack Lipson shirts are nice too, though I can't remember where to buy
at discounted pricing.

If the need is not immediate, invest some time to reasearching and browsing to familiarize yourself with brands, suit construction, fabrics, etc.

jbuffone

Reaction score
I'm not a Zara fan by any stretch, but I do think their suits are pretty good at the price point. They tend to be 100% wool and the silhouettes are quite up to date. The cloth is about as cheap as it gets and will find all the mass production details one would expect in an inexpensive suit.

I'm going to assume the OP is a young guy...maybe still in school. Buying a higher quality suit from some of the last call outlet that others have mentioned might leave him feeling even more blah. He's bound to get nothing but five to ten year old suits that will make him feel like dad. If that's not an issue then get the higher quality stuff.

As for other retailers mentioned on this thread: I'll take a Zara suit over one from Int'l Clothiers or le Crapeau any day.

lektrix

Reaction score
I just got a CK slim suit for $300 (50% off) at STARS Mens Shop @ Fairview. They did alterations to the arm length and pants length so total was $360 incl. tax. I got nothing but compliments at my work party
smile.gif
. The next time I buy a suit, it will be a custom tailored one for $600-$1000.

fkl118

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Holt Renfrew (Last Call Clearance Centre) (Thornhill, ON)
370 Steeles Ave W
Thornhill, ON

It's in Vaughan Mills now. You can get something decent for $500. I'm not sure I'd want to go this time of the year though.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go to Moores tomorrow and then Vaughan Mills. I've never really looked at any suits in stars. I remember a while ago they were carrying the Sean John line

7smcb

Reaction score
Harry Rosen is now two weeks into a seasonal sale - they have Samuelson suits for as low as $800, which is pretty good value for money.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Projet_Winners.jpg

I just got a CK slim suit for $300 (50% off) at STARS Mens Shop @ Fairview.
You shop at Fairview?
smile.gif
Have you checked out the new Zara?

I got a CK slim fit suit at Winners for around $240. Unfortunately I had to take what I could get (it was for a wedding) and the suit is about a size too big.
confused.gif
.Also, I saw a smaller suit for about $220 recently.

I'm going to go to Moores tomorrow and then Vaughan Mills.
I went to the Moores near King and was attended to by a salesman who I suspect didn't really know his ****. I was looking for a suit that would fit my small chest and big waist and he suggested a size 30 pants. I asked if it would be possible to let it out that much (I needed a 34). He said "sure" but no way would that pair of pants fit me.

International Clothiers
These suits are cheap for a reason. You can do better.

Also, I'd advise against black unless there's a reason you need a black suit. Pick midnight blue or charcoal gray if you want a dark suit.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is some absolutely terrible advice here. do not go to tiptop, dont go to moores, thats all ****. if you want somethin 300-500 try going to places with sales. i.e. go to holts last call, see whats there. they have huuuge discounts goin on now. or vintage shopping, find a good quality suit and get it tailored. this may not be okay for you now but when you get better with shopping you will be able to find a great suit and tailor it perfect for your fit for very cheap. the CK at stars is garbage, dont go to stars. dont go to international, i wouldnt waste any money tailoring that stuff. find your fits and look for discounts online etc. 500 can go very far if you look. i bought a 3 piece RL purple label suit for under 400, so think about it.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
This thread =
fail-owned-bike-lock-owner-fail.jpg
Learn your measurements and buy online, or get ready to spend more than 500 bucks. Or stop caring about the quality of your suits. Even with the sales places you're not likely to find anything terribly useful, ie neutral colours.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
there is some absolutely terrible advice here. do not go to tiptop, dont go to moores, thats all ****. if you want somethin 300-500 try going to places with sales. i.e. go to holts last call, see whats there. they have huuuge discounts goin on now. or vintage shopping, find a good quality suit and get it tailored. this may not be okay for you now but when you get better with shopping you will be able to find a great suit and tailor it perfect for your fit for very cheap. the CK at stars is garbage, dont go to stars. dont go to international, i wouldnt waste any money tailoring that stuff. find your fits and look for discounts online etc. 500 can go very far if you look. i bought a 3 piece RL purple label suit for under 400, so think about it.

Holt's was already mentioned.
It was also clearly stated that Moores & International Clothiers were not preferred choices.
Please read carefully what others have said before spouting off.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to suggest to scrape a few more dollares and go to the Harry Rosen Outlet in Mississauga. I got a nice deal on a navy blue pinstripe made by Coppley for about $700 last Christmas. Can't go wrong with that.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moores and Tip Top are disasters. Avoid like the plague.

-Incompetent sales staff who can't tell a good suit from a bathing suit;
-Four choices - black, mid-grey, puke-taupe, navy - all with unattractive striping;
-All with an everyman silhouette so they don't have to worry about tailoring;
-All with pleats, often without vents;
-All with far too loose of pant legs - you end up looking like a genie;
-Overpriced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads