• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

DesignerValet

Reaction score
Made the mistake of walking into a just-opened Canvas store recently and was pinned down by what I took to be a roaming exec:

E: What do you think of the new collection?
me: It's nice. A little basic for me though.
E: But it's GOOD basic, right?
me: um, sure.
E: That's good, because you're a target customer.
eh.gif

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

You should've told him that the whole internet agreed his store fails at collars.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my recent LE Canvas order
-can't speak to the oxford fit b/c I got it as a gift for someone else (not my size) but it looks good, color is definitely not the same blue that it appears on the website (though I view that as a good thing).
-Did get one of the Rugby's for myself in the navy-ivory (though its more white than ivory).
Overall quality seems decent: not amazing, but good enough price-quality ratio, fabric is nice and heavy
-sorry no fit pic (my camera is dying, see example- my FS thread)
-Measurements for a small, fits much slimmer than I expected
Shoulder- 16
P2p- 18.5
Length BOC- 25.75

also order (which I used free shipping code on) came with another code for free shipping

Has anyone had any experience with their sweaters (v-neck, shawl-neck, cardigan)?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I understand correctly people are saying these run short (arms and body length) then JCrew's stuff does? I want to get the Chambray shirt, but if these run short then I will pass. An XL JCrew is a tad short on my arms as it is.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the XL chambray in two colors and both have sleeves longer then almost any other shirt I have. I'm about 6' tall and they are more then long enough for me. Not sure about other shirt styles or other sizes but the chambray in XL is long in the sleeve in my experience, though the body is on the shorter side of normal.

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DesignerValet
Made the mistake of walking into a just-opened Canvas store recently and was pinned down by what I took to be a roaming exec:

E: What do you think of the new collection?
me: It's nice. A little basic for me though.
E: But it's GOOD basic, right?
me: um, sure.
E: That's good, because you're a target customer.
eh.gif

What's wrong with shopping at Target??

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
If I understand correctly people are saying these run short (arms and body length) then JCrew's stuff does? I want to get the Chambray shirt, but if these run short then I will pass. An XL JCrew is a tad short on my arms as it is.

The sleeves are a tad shorter than JCrew but I can't imagine enough to make the shirt unwearable vs JCrew. The arms are definitely slimmer.

Anyone have any experience after several washes yet? That might be a difference maker as my JCrew, at least the Secret Wash stuff, doesn't shrink too much.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
^^^

You should've told him that the whole internet agreed his store fails at collars.

+1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
What's wrong with shopping at Target??

Assume you were joking - target customer as in intended customer - not sure their exact criteria, but age, build, interest in style, etc.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
The sleeves are a tad shorter than JCrew but I can't imagine enough to make the shirt unwearable vs JCrew. The arms are definitely slimmer.

Anyone have any experience after several washes yet? That might be a difference maker as my JCrew, at least the Secret Wash stuff, doesn't shrink too much.

Slimmer is nice, but I need length. A tad shorter is too sort.
ffffuuuu.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got actual measurements for a L and XL button down longsleeve shirt? I am interested mostly in sleeve lengths, chest and waist.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out running errands in Madison today and found myself near a Lands End Inlet...their version of an outlet store. I decided to stop in to see if they had any Canvas stuff and on the "back rack" of weird closeout items I did find two chambray shirts that must be pre-production versions of the Canvas ones (unless LE did shirts almost exactly like the Canvas ones at one tiem). Material feels the same and overall design of the pockets and the unique pieced sleeves are the same but there are some cool differences. These were tagged Lands End and fit more like a LE item then Canvas. I'm a XL in canvas and the black L I got is a great fit and the blue XL is on the big side but for the $12 each they cost me I figured what the hell.

First the collar is bigger and holds it's shape better, not as soft or floppy as the canvas version. Also this is much darker then my grey Canvas chambray. Similar feel to material but this is more a black chambray then a grey.
dsc2549.jpg

It also has a button on the back...not sure what this is actually called but I think its a cool feature.
dsc2550y.jpg

The sleeve has double buttons as well. On this shirt they are also more "pearl" like rather then the white plastic. The blue shirt I picked up has the buttons from the Canvas lines but is otherwise the same as this one.
dsc2553h.jpg

Finally this doesn't have the hidden lower button like the Canvas shirts do.
dsc2552.jpg

Also found out we have a Canvas store downtown so I stopped by there while I was out and picked up a navy blue henley. I really like the material and the fit is good for me but probably not slip enough for most folks here I'm guessing. Overall the store was ok...layout and decor was still lacking something...it was Lands End trying to be cool and trendy but you still had a bit of the LE feel.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool.

I have to say I am reaching for my Canvas grey BDC more than any other shirt these days. I would wear it several days in a row if I could. I think the fit is spot on for me, other people YMMV.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, I love mine, they are definitely my favorite shirts right now. Comfortable, nice fit, good looking and cheap to the point I just don't worry about wearing them for anything and everything.

Also, after washing, my two new shirts are actually of a slightly thicker/coarser feeling fabric. Not drastically different but when compared side by side you can certainly feel it (both old and new have been washed once now so that isn't a factor).

everybodynobody

Reaction score
I ordered one of the Oxford shirts and don't understand what's so great about them. Paper thin fabric, not cut long enough, the aforementioned collars, and comes in undie packaging! You guys have to be joking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads