• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OTC socks too tight in the calf?

epic raccoon

Reaction score
I recently ordered a three-pack of Gold Toe Canterbury OTC socks, but since I have abnormally large calves, they're extremely tight up there. The materials are 63% mercerized cotton, 36% nylon, and 1% spandex. Will the socks stretch in the calf after a few wears or am I sorry out of luck in this department?

infinitum

Reaction score
I have some of the same socks, and when I first put them on in the morning, I have the same problem. After wearing them for a few minutes, the socks work themselves lower down on my legs, and then I don't have much of a problem. Unless you want them to remain high on the calf, there shouldn't be a problem.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinitum
Unless you want them to remain high on the calf, there shouldn't be a problem.
For me, the big idea behind OTC is that they don't tend to slip down and this is a positive. OP, I have found Gold Toes quite comfortable and good value for the money.

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
For me, the big idea behind OTC is that they don't tend to slip down and this is a positive.
OP, I have found Gold Toes quite comfortable and good value for the money.

I don't doubt the value and comfort of Gold Toes, but the tightness around my calves is quite a compromise...

I also ordered a pair of socks from Viccel. Hopefully those will fit a bit better.

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Hmm, after wearing a pair all day the elastic bands at the end cut very uncomfortably into my calves.

82-Greg

Reaction score
I also have very large calfs. I've found that Viccel socks, lacking any elastic, tend to slide down the leg eventually over the course of the day. They are also very thin--although I understand a thicker version is now available. Robert Talbott socks are generally neither tall enough or wide enough for my legs. After washing, they end up below the calf. However, they are well cushioned.

I have worn some Falke socks (cotton/wool/nylon blend) which stayed up, did not bind my legs and were fairly good. They did not offer the cushioning effect I really like in the luxury wool socks. But they are recommended.

I also routinely wear Pantherella. They stay up very well and do not bind. Although wool, they lack the padding effect from Marcoliani that I really crave.

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 82-Greg
I also have very large calfs. I've found that Viccel socks, lacking any elastic, tend to slide down the leg eventually over the course of the day. They are also very thin--although I understand a thicker version is now available. Robert Talbott socks are generally neither tall enough or wide enough for my legs. After washing, they end up below the calf. However, they are well cushioned.

I have worn some Falke socks (cotton/wool/nylon blend) which stayed up, did not bind my legs and were fairly good. They did not offer the cushioning effect I really like in the luxury wool socks. But they are recommended.

I also routinely wear Pantherella. They stay up very well and do not bind. Although wool, they lack the padding effect from Marcoliani that I really crave.

Have you had any experience with Pantherella cotton socks? I'm not a particular big fan of wool socks (personal preference).

I also ordered the thicker Viccel socks last week, and they should be getting in within a week or so. Hopefully they'll work for me.

Anybody else have this problem?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not a fan of wool socks? They will breathe much better than cotton, and tend to be warmer in the winter for sure.

If I could choose any sock it would be a cashmere OTC sock, but I haven't found any yet. Of course, they'd need to be a blend of cashmere and something else to give the sock durability. Otherwise, they'd wear down too fast.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the cashmere furo mentions - also merino.
I've had some OTC's, notably several Nagrani's, that are way too tight in the calf and I'm normal in that area.

rrosals

Reaction score
I recently ordered OTCs from Viccel and am very happy with the fit (although I would classify my calves as average size). Their structure is different from other brands I have worn (mostly pantherella) and stay up nicely one me.

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Why not a fan of wool socks? They will breathe much better than cotton, and tend to be warmer in the winter for sure.

If I could choose any sock it would be a cashmere OTC sock, but I haven't found any yet. Of course, they'd need to be a blend of cashmere and something else to give the sock durability. Otherwise, they'd wear down too fast.

I do enjoy my cotton Nagranis.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If their too tight then perhaps you don't really need them in the first place, try a mid calf and see if that fits better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads