• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

jim_n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
I just received a pair of GTs from Papashoe in sz. 8. They feel great upfront, but there seems to be about a 1/2 inch too much room in the heel. After reading the posts here, it seems that they should fit a little more snug upfront, almost to the point of being uncomfortable until broken in. should I try for a sz. 7.5? I just found out that PS does not offer free returns, despite what the website says! Still a great deal, though!
Thanks for the advice!!

did you size down at all from your 'true' shoe size??

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
I just received a pair of GTs from Papashoe in sz. 8. They feel great upfront, but there seems to be about a 1/2 inch too much room in the heel. After reading the posts here, it seems that they should fit a little more snug upfront, almost to the point of being uncomfortable until broken in. should I try for a sz. 7.5? I just found out that PS does not offer free returns, despite what the website says! Still a great deal, though!
Thanks for the advice!!

perfect for an insert to add some padding?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the same size I have in my other RW's, a half size to a size down from what I have in Fryes. I have never had a boot uncomfortable like this from the get go. They pinch at the cuff, and the right boot is a bit tight on my little toe. Hope they break in a bit.

Other than that, look and feel good. I was surprised that the black cherry colour was so similar to the red/burgandy of my 8166s. Just a slight bit darker and more depth.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
all depends, mine have been pretty comfortable since i've had them, but others have gone weeks before proper break in. i plan on throwing in some cushioned support in the bottom tho

prozach1576

Reaction score
Mine came today and while I wouldn't call them comfortable at all, they aren't quite as bad as I feared they might be. The only problem spot is a part of my left food that's permanently deformed or something from a bad sprain this summer. Bulges into the side of the boot pretty good, but I think it'll stretch.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
the leather is pretty soft, i'm sure it should take the shape of your foot soon enough, but I guess others can comment on this more?

unrated

Reaction score
Based on pictures on the web, it seems like the iron rangers toe doesn't buldge out as much as the GT's

JBA

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ownership opinions on Black Cherry Featherstone vs Black Featherstone? I like the look of the Cherry but think the Black may be more versatile? That said once they get beat up I am sure that the Cherry will still look good whereas the Black will just look like generic old black boots. Edit: Retract the above. I read the entire thread and behold the answer was available.

JTK

Reaction score
After wearing the GTs around for a day, I noticed much less heel slippage. Some discomfort, but the overall fit is just about perfect! I may look for a very thin leather insole if the boot becomes too roomy. Very happy with the purchase!

I also ordered some Obenauf's today. Should I apply this right away? Do I need to avoid the stitching when I apply the wax?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JTK
Do I need to avoid the stitching when I apply the wax?

no you don't have to. they won't damage the thread

truthordarren

Reaction score
Ordered from papashoe on Monday, now I get an email saying there was an "inventory management error" and they are out of stock
angry.gif

opusX

Reaction score
just need some quick suggestions here...

been enjoying my black cherry GT's for a few months... but cannot stop thinking they need some protection as I want these to last. As of yet I have not applied anything and i'm feeling a little guilty
shog[1].gif

i want something to protect these boots that will not darken the color too noticeably. I LOVE the color of these.

Ive done searches on here and read thru this thread, so my apologies if its been covered.

Obernauf's LP, Sno-Seal and Pecard's as well have been recommended. Considering I don't wear these boots too rough (California weather is forgiving) and waterproofing is not my main concern... what's my best option for care while avoiding too much darkening of the leather?

Fiddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truthordarren
Ordered from papashoe on Monday, now I get an email saying there was an "inventory management error" and they are out of stock
angry.gif

Ditto.
confused.gif

ataru

Reaction score
opusX- I don't know about the others but obenaufs LP will definitely darken the leather.

BIGBERTHA

Reaction score
Cool story. I'm in Calgary on business. Snowing outside. Icy roads. On my way to Vietnamese place for some lunch and I see a huge Red Wing logo to my right. So I cross two lanes of snow-covered road, nearly crashing into snowbank. Walk into store...full of workwear stuff. I walk over to a table and there I see a pair of GTs. Pick em up...my size...last pair. Marked down to $130 CAD. Bought em. Still smiling two hours later!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads