• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Untucked shirts

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Yea, nothing is sloppier than the guys in their "going out shirts" where it's just a striped dress shirt untucked down below their ass. Smh...

Man, that's the douchebag uniform around here in Philly. The spoiled college frat boys and the guidos sport that look here. Bootcuts and a RL buttondown, untucked, with ******* dress shoes.

Generally, I associate that look with too much testosterone/gym muscles, drunk-pissing in alleys while shouting at their bros, girlfriends with dumb-ass tramp-stamps, and silver BMWs that mommy and daddy bought them.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do wear my flannel shirts untucked generally, just because I think it looks strange to tuck them in. But I also don't wear them where untucked shirts are inappropriate, e.g., the office.

nakedundermyclothes

Reaction score
Yea, nothing is sloppier than the guys in their "going out shirts" where it's just a striped dress shirt untucked down below their ass. Smh...

lmao

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so true...

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deciding when to tuck and when not to requires judgment that is widely lacking.

Men's Wearhouse ran an ad a few years back encouraging people to untuck because it was hip (don't know why they would encourage that, as they sell suits). Made me cringe. I am sure this encouraged legions of people to untuck their mumu-sized office shirts.

Generally I tuck in these days to distinguish myself from the "i AM SOO GONNA PARTY 2NIGHT WITH MAH DOUCHEBUDS!?!!" crowd.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Generally, if you're the douchebag type, you won't have the sense to know whether or not to tuck.

If you're not the douchebag type, chances are you'll be able to tell when it's appropriate or not.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester

Men's Wearhouse ran an ad a few years back encouraging people to untuck because it was hip (don't know why they would encourage that, as they sell suits). Made me cringe. I am sure this encouraged legions of people to untuck their mumu-sized office shirts.

Generally I tuck in these days to distinguish myself from the "i AM SOO GONNA PARTY 2NIGHT WITH MAH DOUCHEBUDS!?!!" crowd.

Worthy. Tuck it to say *******.

Yo, get your skanky girlfriend and her tramp-stamped friends and lets par-tay over at the irish pub nightclub with my brahs. I'll pick you up in my 325i. The silver one. We'll meet up after the gym. Gotta run home and spike my hair first.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm going to a bar after work with some dude coworkers. We're distinguishing ourselves as not douchebags by going to a brewpub that does NOT have a TV, by wearing our shirts tucked in (I'm wearing a button-down tiny-gingham check longsleeve tucked into white chinos with a navy cardigan), and by arriving in my 1999 Lexus sedan.

We are decidely under the radar.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I'm going to a bar after work with some dude coworkers. We're distinguishing ourselves as not douchebags by going to a brewpub that does NOT have a TV, by wearing our shirts tucked in (I'm wearing a button-down tiny-gingham check longsleeve tucked into white chinos with a navy cardigan), and by arriving in my 1999 Lexus sedan.

We are decidely under the radar.

White after Labor day? I'm so not hanging with you.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yep. I bet I'm the only dude in town wearing white pants today.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I also crimped the hems up about a half inch.

Mark_Y

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Yep. I bet I'm the only dude in town wearing white pants today.

White pants has douchbag written all over. Even more so if they're sheer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads